Awake to God’s Presence

TOO MANY PEOPLE and churches and institutions are asleep to the reality of God’s presence in the world because they live in survival mode. They’ve forgotten their identity in Christ. They’ve forgotten the ultimate reality that the kingdom of God is already at hand and that they are God’s beloved child. To me, this situation is a matter of urgency.

The world has become dangerous and is deeply divided. The world needs people who are awake to that which is of God within them, to God’s love and the power of that love to transform and heal. The world needs churches and institutions that are awake to the same. Thankfully, I also believe, along with many others, that we are in a time of spiritual awakening, and the good news is that people who are awake to their whole hearts are in a position to help others awaken to theirs.

Weavings, Nov/December 2015/January 2016

From “Waking Up to Our Whole Heart” by Johnny Sears, in Weavings, November/December 2015/January 2016. Copyright © 2015 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How can you become more awake to the kingdom of God?Share your thoughts.

The LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with a terrifying display of power, and with signs and wonders; and he brought us into this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey.

Deuteronomy 26:8-9

This Week: pray for Christian writers. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Catherine dei Ricci (February 13).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 9, 2016, 1:15 am

We can be more awake to the kingdom of God by seeing things from God’s perspective.

Help us God to be more awake to your kingdom. Open our eyes to see things from your perspective.

Grateful for lunch at my sister’s house. Ready to be back to work tomorrow. May God continue to bless the week ahead and everyone here!

May God also guide our reflection and bless all Christian Writers. May God grant us inspiration as we write and may we be an inspiration to many!

• Connie February 9, 2016, 8:42 am

What a wonderful comment…..seeing things from God’s perspective is exactly what I need to do. Thanks Mary.

• Jill February 9, 2016, 4:02 am

I believe that I have become more awake in the past year or so. For me, it was a confession of how possessive I was of my time, and a willingness to submit that time to God…and seeing His Kingdom come here. It began as a “tithe” of my summer time, as I got involved in a local outreach to teen moms. It continues now as I work with this group weekly…providing transportation, mentoring and tutoring. Do Tuesdays exhaust me – yes, they do. But, I commit them to God – and He always sees me through my Wednesdays and the remainder of the week.
    Grateful to make it through the day yesterday, despite not feeling my best. This morning I woke up without a headache. Grateful that a doctor’s appt after school yesterday did not involve a long wait and I was able to beat the rush hour traffic home. Grateful for the beauty of snow – often found myself looking out the window yesterday, at the gently cascading BIG snowflakes.

• Betsy February 9, 2016, 7:11 am

I pray this prayer today for our leaders in our country. May they awaken to the power within them that God provides. I feel I am working to grow in God myself. It is a process, and I pray for strength to do His will each day.
    Grateful for time yesterday volunteering with our kids at church, helping with homework, a productive meeting last night with my women’s group, and slow start this morning as the snow falls and the cold sets in. You are present in all of these things, Lord. Amen

• Taylor February 9, 2016, 7:37 am

I just recently moved into an intentional community that provides meals and other amenities to the poor, addicted, veteran, homeless, down and out. I feel increasingly awakened to God’s kingdom as I attempt to live simply and to be in close relationship with the marganilized of society. Jesus tells us where we will find him and it’s in these places. Christ dwells in each person, therefore his kingdom is always near. We can see and feel it if we are attentive to the light and the teacher in each of us.

I am grateful for a God of restoration, reconciliation, and redemption. What an honor to worship Him. I pray to see these three things not just in my own life, but in the world around me.

• Gwen February 9, 2016, 9:12 pm

I feel as if when I was younger, say between 8 and 18, I was more awake to God’s presence within me. We were like a united front of love and I could feel him channeling through me in my actions most days. Obviously I was a kid and did kid things, but I recall a closer relationship and ability to feel the transformation power of his love within me.

Lives change, we evolve and grow, but that doesn’t mean we move away from God’s love. Like in yoga where, when the mind and body wander, we bring our attention back to the breath… a manifestation of the spirit; so too I pray that I may bring my attention back to the small things that strengthen my relationship with God and awaken my ability to love and give that love freely. Ash Wednesday…. tomorrow… the 7am mass won’t draw many people, but I am looking forward to this time of quiet re-awakening.