Return

Return to the Lord, your God,
for he is gracious and merciful.
–Joel 2:13

OUR LIVES CONTINUALLY drift away from their true home. We forget we are God’s beloved. We forget that we are not God. We succumb to the temptations of money, sex, and power. We ignore the cries of our sisters and brothers. We focus only on ourselves.

During Lent, God calls us home. We remember who we truly are. We let God be God in our lives. We respond to our suffering neighbor. Put simply, we begin again with God.

Only when the fierce love of God, fully revealed in the Crucified One, pierces our hearts do we respond lovingly to God. During Lent, we listen for this good news: God passionately loves us and wants us to come home. Lent invites us to open our lives to this love however far we may have drifted and to return again to the God who longs for us.

– Trevor Hudson
Pauses for Lent

From page 12 of Pauses for Lent: 40 Words for 40 Days by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © by Trevor Hudson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How will you open your life to love this Lenten season? Share your thoughts.

When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them.

Psalm 91:15

This Week: pray for Christian writers. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Catherine dei Ricci (February 13).

• Jill February 11, 2016, 4:10 am

I am going to open myself to love by being aware of how compassionate I am with myself. I must tend to the inward rhythms of my soul. I must be sure to look for areas I have “roped off” in my heart…and ask God to come in to those areas. I must surrender, I must forgive – I must permit this compassion, His compassion to enter and clear away and cleanse. Yes Father – and show me areas I am not even aware of – draw me to You. Re-align, once again.
    Feeling a bit under the weather this morning – will not be going in to work this AM – perhaps will try to make it for the afternoon. Grateful that my student teacher will be able to handle things for me.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 11, 2016, 8:30 am

Wishing you speedy recovery, Jill!

• Sara February 11, 2016, 6:00 am

With God’s guidance I want to guard my thoughts and attitude and rejoice in the day the Lord so graciously gives to me.

Prayers and blessings today to all the UR friends gathering here today. God Bless.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 11, 2016, 6:09 am

Father God, show me the ways to open myself to love this Lenten season. One of the many ways is to love my students unconstitutionally no matter how difficult it can be, of course, with Your help and the empowerment of the Holy Spirit.

• Bob February 11, 2016, 6:13 am

It is too easy to allow the daily grind to blind our eyes to the One who loves us. Family crisis, illness, worries etc. etc can overwhelm you and only add to the questions: The whys and the whens. Yet I must stop and look at that small light that shimmers softly and beckons me. Come to me all you who labor and I will give you rest. Stop, focus on the light of His Presence and allow yourself to be drawn to it and into it. He cares. He understands. He is the answer. He, our Lord Jesus is the peace. God is good. All the time!!

• Rusty February 11, 2016, 6:34 am

Thank you, Bob. Your words are thoughtful. “Beckoning”, “drawn in” … Yes, that is helpful to me today.

This Lenten season I am opening my life to love through daily devotions some members of my church were asked to write. They are being sent by email to the congregation. I wrote one for the compilation, as well. Yesterday’s was the first one to arrive, and I was struck by how different that person’s meditation was from my own. Looking forward to God’s drawing me in to his love with this unique opportunity to share a form of communion with other believers.

Prayers, Jill, for your rapid recovery.

• Betsy February 11, 2016, 7:12 am

This Lenten Season I want to deepen my prayer life. Often I rush through this important time with God. At our Ash Wednesday service last evening, our minister reminded us of the sacred time we spend with our Lord, praying, meditating, reading the Word and listening for His voice. Instead of denying myself of something, I will be more intentional with my spiritual growth this season; listening for ways I can open myself up to those in need.
    I will be visiting the church friend today who is in the latter stages of pancreatic cancer. I pray that God will help me to sit and simply be with her for a time. Blessings to all those who visit here today. Hope you get to feeling better, Jill!

• Edy February 11, 2016, 10:20 am

Setting aside an hour a day to be still and know God. His spirit will guide me. Thank you Lord for all the blessings given to me each and every day. I lift up my granddaughter Madison for her daily struggle with Psoriatic Arthritis. God is good! All the time!

• Rusty February 12, 2016, 2:30 am

Amen, Edy. Praying for Madison.

• Carol February 11, 2016, 7:15 pm

During these days when my uncle is in hospice and (as of a week ago) my brother-in-law having experienced a massive stroke, I am challenged by concern of unpredictable family dynamics. I am realizing I need to be very proactive in practicing thoughts and attitudes of love toward family.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 11, 2016, 10:15 pm

Keeping you and your family in prayer, Carol! May God protect you and your family from all harm and danger. May God cover you all with the blood of Jesus Christ!