Just Follow

“FOLLOW ME,” Jesus said,
and Matthew left his tax booth
and walked with Jesus.
He didn’t know where they were going.

Others were walking, too –
James and John,
Peter and Andrew,
Mary (there must have been a Mary),
and other women, unnamed.
It didn’t matter where they were going.

All along the way, Jesus called out, “Follow me.”
Some left their tasks and joined the walk.
Others turned away in sorrow. …

Today, Jesus walks along busy streets
and calls to us,”Follow me.”

“Walk with me in the countryside, in the inner city.
Walk with me in places of joy and places of sorrow.
Leave your preconceived notions, your five-year strategies.
Set down your anger and your prejudices,
And see the world as I see it.
It doesn’t matter where we are going,
Just follow me.”
–Beth Richardson

Alive Now

From “Just Follow” by Beth A. Richardson, page 33 in Alive Now, January/February 2016. Copyright © 2015 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission.http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Where is Jesus calling you to follow? Share your thoughts.

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing at all during those days, and when they were over, he was famished.

Luke 4:1-2, NRSV

This Week: pray for Christian writers. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Catherine dei Ricci (February 13).

• Jill February 13, 2016, 4:39 am

Jesus is calling me to follow Him in trust and obedience as I leave behind the shell of a friendship. He is showing me the amount of time that I now have available – and to offer it to others. He is showing me emotional freedom. I admit, I catch myself looking backwards – but now it is leaning more towards relief, but is still tinged with some bittersweet sorrow. Father – thank You for leading me forward – there was a time, a season for that relationship – and now I desire to look forward to whomever and whatever You bring to my path.
    Fellow friends – thank you for your well wishes and prayers. My stomach seems back on track, and with this long weekend – I am sure that my strength will return.
    Grateful for a quiet, calm stomach. Grateful for a long weekend. Grateful for a warm house for shelter from bitter cold.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 13, 2016, 6:11 am

Glad to hear that you are better already and moving forward, Jill.

Just follow what and where God is leading me to and seeking His guidance daily. Spending more time at His feet daily. May God help me to listen and obey Him.

• Betsy February 13, 2016, 7:36 am

I’m following God in faith to uncomfortable places of ministry; places that are unfamiliar, but in need of His presence. Strengthen me for your work, Lord. Amen
    Glad you are on the mend, Jill. That stomach bug can zap your energy.
    Grateful for sunny skies this morning, a respite from the gloom and cold, birthday dinner with good friends last evening, and time today to be out running errands before the next storm arrive tomorrow.

• Sara February 13, 2016, 7:58 am

In my daily walk – helping those who cross my path and making their day better.

Thankful for a warm home, family and my friend who had thyroid surgery doing very well and other friends. They certainly are a blessing in my life.

Jill, thankful you are feeling better. May all have a warm and blessed day.

• Carol February 13, 2016, 8:04 am

“Set down your anger and your prejudices” My work to follow Jesus during lent.

• Connie February 13, 2016, 8:34 am

“I will follow Him, follow Him wherever He may go”
    Thankful for a working computer after two power outages, my husband who made it happen, a sunny day, a Valentine weekend.

• April February 13, 2016, 10:08 am

“There isn’t an ocean too deep, A mountain so high it can keep me away”
      Yes, ” and nothing can keep Him from me”.
      Singing with you Connie…. Blessings to our UR family on this Valentine’s Day weekend.

• Andrea February 13, 2016, 4:46 pm

I imagine Jesus taking me by the hand and walking with me, gently leading me along a path I do not see. “Gentle” is the important word.

I ask for prayers for my friend Mona, who has phyisical handicaps and health issues causing increasing discomfort.

May everyone in the UR community have a blessed Valentine’s weekend. With gratitude and prayers for all. May Christian writers be nurtured and blessed.

• Andrea February 13, 2016, 4:48 pm

“And He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own…”

• Connie February 14, 2016, 7:57 am

And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known.
      April, Andrea, Connie…a trio of voices singing on this Valentine’s Day Weekend. Blessings.