All of Creation as God’s Body

DURING THE LENTEN SEASON I begin sprouting seeds which will later green the gardens of the tiny farm I live on. I farm that I may set my hands into the body of the earth. And, yes, the body of creation groans (Romans 8:22) when the body of humanity lives as if unembodied and separated from the earth, as if incarnation does not grant holiness and healing. Typically, the degradation of the environment goes hand in hand with the degradation of different members of the human body.

Sallie McFague encourages us to view all of creation as God’s Body. This metaphor, she argues, allows us to give attention that invites the discovery of beauty and suffering, which calls forth our love and compassion. However, again if we do not treasure the embodied relationship within our own existence, if we are not compassionate and connected with our own bodies, we will be hard-pressed to see and touch the body of the earth with caring eyes, heart, and hand.

Weavings, February/March/April 2016

From “The Touch of Ashes” by Regina M. Laroche, in Weavings: A Journal of the Christian Spiritual Life, February/March/April 2016. Copyright © 2015 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Spend time outside today, if possible. Give thanks to God for the beauty of creation. Share your thoughts.

On that day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, “To your descendants I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates….”

Genesis 15:18, NRSV

This Week: pray for those newlyweds. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Martin Luther (February 16).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Jill February 15, 2016, 4:46 am

There is unlimited beauty in creation, if we just take the time to take it in. The whiteness of snow is magnificent. Trees are so beautiful after a snow. And, then, out of nowhere – a brilliant cardinal drops in on the white scene. What a beautiful contrast. The colors of a wintry sky – with sunlight on the edges – wonderful pinks and peaches – on Saturday. Father – Your masterpieces…day after day…are stunning.
    Grateful for an unrushed morning, time to linger in prayer and reading. Grateful for a bit warmer temperatures this morning – will be able to run outside and take in the beauty of His hands. Grateful to be held by Him.

• robert moeller February 15, 2016, 5:10 am

Thankful for a warm house on a cold day. Despite some problem with our water supply, we were able to cook and eat. Thankful for beautiful blue sunny skies and a blanket of white snow. Heard from a church member who gave us the name of a plumber. Heard from and or saw family. Had an email from someone whose work helped with a train article. Thankful that my password has been renewed and the Upper Room is coming again. Thank You, Lord.

Blessings to newlyweds. May the union God has made be forever blessed.

Guide us as we move toward the election of new leaders.

Prayers for the good health of all. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 15, 2016, 5:32 am

Grateful for the sunshine and good weather as I took the students out for Soccer. Grateful for the joy of sharing Chinese New Year snacks and sweets with my colleagues and students. Grateful for a fruitful day.

Thank you God for the joy of counting my blessings and for your amazing creation we see everywhere.

• Rusty February 15, 2016, 6:46 am

I’m in Washington, D.C., this week, and yes, the snow here is beautiful. Nature and God’s general revelation played a large part in my conversion to Christianity fourteen years ago. God had been tapping me on the shoulder in several mostly subtle ways, but it all came together for me one morning when I looked out at the mountains near my home in the west and I realized, “It’s all true!”

Grateful to have arrived safely. Grateful to have shared life stories at a Pakistani restaurant with a friend last night who is a Russian Orthodox priest. Grateful and anticipating good meetings this week. Grateful for cell phones and to be able to stay in close touch with my beloved K back home.

• Betsy February 15, 2016, 7:02 am

The beautiful quiet of the snowfall yesterday, and it’s calming beauty today remind me of God’s handiwork. I yearn for the days when I can be out, walking in nature. Your presence is everywhere we look. Lord. Help us to be better stewards of your creation.
    The snow and ice kept us from church yesterday. Grateful for a slow thaw starting today. Thankful also for the warmth and comfort of home and time in prayer and devotion here.

• Sara February 15, 2016, 10:02 am

Grateful for a safe drive home yesterday after a couple days away, warmth in our home and hearing from family yesterday.

Caring and feeding the birds over winter is very enjoyable for me. Of course I have those squirrels so I bought a special feeder that looks like a lawn chair and you can attach an ear of corn on the chair. Every time I see a squirrel sitting on the chair I have to laugh – so comical. And the birds and squirrels enjoy the heated water in the bird bath. God’s world is filled with His glorious creation.

Prayers for newlyweds as they begin the journey of a shared life.

Blessings today to the UR family and may God’s blessing and love surround you. Amen

• Barbara February 15, 2016, 1:12 pm

Creator God, I am so grateful for the brief sunny periods here in the Northwest, and the wee pond outside my backdoor that means we will have enough water for our gardens this summer.
    I am always praying for the refugees from Syria, they/we all need your Peace in our lives, Lord & Savior.

• Gwen February 15, 2016, 9:04 pm

Just 6 degrees when I woke up this morning. Up from -7 yesterday morning. Grateful for the text from my mother telling me to bundle up and stay indoors… it warmed my heart and made me smile, though she knows I love the cold. Grateful for God’s reminder of familial love. I value my mom’s love even as a grown adult. Grateful for the silent beauty of nature, as I chose to walk the scenic way home from Target, rather than Ubering it. The early morning sun sparkled on the white cracked ice of the Charles (my Euphrates) and I stopped to watch a giant hawk holding court above the river. Moments such as these remind me He is with us in the stillness of the morning, nip of the cold, quiet of the river, pause in the day’s occupation. The land reminds me to be thankful and grateful even as I go through the motions of my to-do list. When I don’t hear Him, it not because I can’t but because like a parent and child, I still need reminding to open myself to Him in all I do.