Self-Scrutiny During Lent

SELF-SCRUTINY is part of Lent’s process, but we do not observe Lent for the sake of self-scrutiny alone. To sit too long with the guilt and shame of our misdeeds would, in fact, go against the gospel message. Christ’s message is one of new life and forgiveness, so Lenten self-scrutiny must serve this purpose.

To arrive at newness of life, we first name the parts of our lives that are shrouded in darkness, the parts of ourselves where life does not flourish. We walk through some muck so that we can leave it behind us and find Easter joy beyond.

– Sarah Parsons
A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent

From page 9 of A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent by Sarah Parsons. Copyright © 2005 by Sarah Parsons. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What are you doing to find Easter joy? Share your thoughts.

Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us.

Philippians 3:17, NRSV

This Week: pray for those newlyweds. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Martin Luther (February 16).

• robert moeller February 18, 2016, 4:01 am

Thankful for this day, the return of running water, messages from family, friends and the UR family, a Lenten noonday service tomorrow, Men’s Communion Breakfast on Saturday, and church on Sunday. My ear infection is healing. Thankful for progress on my dining car model. Thank You, Lord.

Sara, there have been times when I too had to search for the daily devotional and or reflection. Thankfully, that is possible.

Yes, Lent certainly is preparation for Easter. It’s like spring house cleaning for the soul. Thank You, Lord, for helping us clean house and accept the Gospel. Jesus came not to condemn but to save. Lord, you welcome repentant hearts.
    Your blood washes us white as snow. Thank You, Lord.

Prayers for newlyweds, may You, Lord, be the center of their lives. Thank You, Lord, for resources to help others. In Your name, I pray, Lord. Amen.

• Jill February 18, 2016, 4:04 am

I am trying to be extremely aware of when unproductive thoughts enter my mind…and to immediately re-direct them. I have to be so intentional about this. When discussing this concern with a trusted prayer warrior – she gave me the phrase “pregnant with possibilities”. This moment – when I recognize that I am veering off path – is pregnant with possibilities…bountiful ones and dangerous ones. I must be diligent. Father – assist me in these moments to turn to You.
    Betsy – I am praying for your sister and nephew. Thank you for sharing this concern with us – we will hold it with you.
    Grateful for a shorter than anticipated work week – did get that snow day on Tuesday. Grateful for the beauty of the snow-laden trees. Grateful for a quiet evening at home last night, which included a phone conversation with my youngest nephew.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 18, 2016, 5:52 am

Grateful for good friends and family.

Reflections, confession and forgiving… That’s what I am doing during Lent season to find Easter joy.

Father God, grant me a reflective, repentant and forgiving heart so that I may find joy this Easter.

• Betsy February 18, 2016, 7:18 am

This is the aspect of Lent that I most identify with. Self -reflection, and in some cases, self -scrutiny. I am trying to use this time to pray about this. Looking within can be very revealing and humbling. There are dark areas that I need to face and turn away from. With God’s help, those parts of me can be revealed and brought out into the light, where His love and forgiveness lives. Amen!
    Grateful today for Bible study with my group of Christian sisters, sunny skies and new opportunities for growth.

• Sara February 18, 2016, 8:22 am

A sunny day and the sunrise was beautiful and the roads clear!! Thank you Lord.

This year for Lent I want to be aware of my thoughts and attitude and hopefully set a new pattern for the days ahead. Thank you Lord, with You by our side, new beginnings are available with each day.

Today, prayers for newlyweds and for the UR family – may the day be filled with God’s blessing and peace. Amen

• patricia bates February 18, 2016, 9:28 am

this week I spontaneously embraced my self, the old parts of myself that til now had I shunned. The parts that had lain hidden behind closed doors and locked rooms. I hugged my full history, filled with love much as the father welcomed the prodigal son. And I thanked God for the healing time.