A Blessing for the Long Nights

God’s peace to you in the twilight,
in the long winter night.

God’s comfort to you in the sadness,
in the mournful places of your soul.

God’s courage to you in your weakness,
facing turmoil, facing trial.

God’s love to you in your pain,
in the sadness of the small one who weeps inside of you.

God’s presence to you in your loneliness,
in the dark, empty corners of your heart.

God’s peace, God’s comfort, God’s love,
God’s blessing be yours.

– Beth A. Richardson
Christ Beside Me, Christ Within Me

From page 55 of Christ Beside Me, Christ Within Me: Celtic Blessings by Beth A. Richardson. Copyright © 2016 by Beth A. Richardson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

“See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.'”

Luke 13:35, NRSV

This Week: pray for those newlyweds. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Martin Luther (February 16).

• robert moeller February 21, 2016, 3:52 am

Yes, God is with us always, in the situations in today’s prayer, but also in every other situation. Thankfully, Lord, You are with us. I, we, are sustained by this truth, without You, Lord, we would not exist. Your love willed us into being.

Thankful for God’s ever presence and support. Thankful that tenants who are leaving have a path that will help them get back on their feet. I pray for Teiria and Eric. Teiria is recovering from illness, has been out of work. Lord, You provide support through their family. Thankful that surgery for Anneliese is possible, a visit to my son starts today. Had a skype visit with my daughter and granddaughters yesterday. Thankful for progress on a dining car model.
    Thankful for resources to enable support for others. Thank You, Lord.

Prayers for newlyweds, may the Lord be their guide. Grant us Your wisdom, Lord, as we search for new leaders in our government. In Jesus’ name, I pray.
    Amen.

• Jill February 21, 2016, 4:50 am

A beautiful prayer – a keeper for sure. Father – You are there in each nook and cranny. Might I open my heart to You. Places I let no one else go – Father – please come and abide with me there, and I with You.
    Grateful for a simple pleasant evening. Dinner with a lady from my small group – tried a new place and ate outside without jackets – in February. We couldn’t get over it. We watched as college students walked past in shorts and flip flops – unheard of weather in this neck of the woods in February. Grateful for nice conversation, stories related, concerns shared. Thank You, Father – for last evening. Grateful, too, to speak with my parents who are in Florida. I will be joining them in a few short days…the weather of yesterday sure got me ready. Thank You Father – that they are in good health and able to travel.
    Missed church last Sunday, it will be good to go to My Father’s House today. Father – prepare my heart for the word You will have me receive.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 21, 2016, 5:59 am

Grateful for dinner with my Sister.

Thank you Father God for my dear Sister, Molly. She’s such a blessing to me.

Thank you for your peace, comfort, strength, love, presence and blessings all the days of my life.

Thank you for the UR family.

You are all such a blessing to me too.

• Betsy February 21, 2016, 7:33 am

Beautifully simple prayer to help me get centered this morning. We also missed church last week due to snow and ice. Looking forward to gathering with church family in worship today. An update on my nephew came from my sister last might. He is returning to school this week and will be working with a doctor for counseling . Big step that he’s ready to return to some normalcy at school. Praise God! Thank you for your continued prayers.
    Grateful today for unseasonal warm weather and opportunity to work in our community kitchen to serve lunch.

• Rusty February 21, 2016, 7:49 am

Yes, a lovely prayer. Calming and reassuring. Very helpful.

Good to hear, Betsy, that your nephew is headed back to school. God is good.

Grateful, like others, to be returning to church worship today. Last week I missed due to travel. Lord, thank you for an opportunity to teach people about your word again. The class starting today is a four week bible study introduction to the Parables of Jesus. Lord, please guide me in what I have to say to the listeners. May only truth be spoken, and only truth received. Amen.

• Connie February 21, 2016, 8:43 am

What a wonderful prayer to start this Sunday morning. Thank you, Beth.
    Our snow is gone and it was almost balmy yesterday. It’s good to step outside and get a “preview” of Spring!
    Grateful for all the good “shares” from everyone.

• Joy February 21, 2016, 10:03 pm

This blessing brought me comfort today. I’m a single person struggling with being on crutches with a leg brace, facing probable surgery, trying to get over a bout of RSV … but a Christian teen-ager spent a few hours with me today, helped me buy groceries and unload my car from a trip. God is with me, and this blessing and her actions help me remember.