Get Up!

22 Then one of the leaders of the synagogue named Jairus came and, when he saw him, fell at his feet 23 and begged him repeatedly, “My little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well, and live.” 24 So he went with him.

And a large crowd followed him and pressed in on him.

35 While he was still speaking, some people came from the leader’s house to say, “Your daughter is dead. Why trouble the teacher any further?” 36 But overhearing[a] what they said, Jesus said to the leader of the synagogue, “Do not fear, only believe.” 37 He allowed no one to follow him except Peter, James, and John, the brother of James. 38 When they came to the house of the leader of the synagogue, he saw a commotion, people weeping and wailing loudly. 39 When he had entered, he said to them, “Why do you make a commotion and weep? The child is not dead but sleeping.” 40 And they laughed at him. Then he put them all outside, and took the child’s father and mother and those who were with him, and went in where the child was. 41 He took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha cum,” which means, “Little girl, get up!” 42 And immediately the girl got up and began to walk about (she was twelve years of age). At this they were overcome with amazement. 43 He strictly ordered them that no one should know this, and told them to give her something to eat.

Mark 5:22-24, 35-43,NRSV

HAVE YOU EVER given up? We’ve all had those moments when an event or action seems inevitable, and we surrender to the outcome of a situation. Some may call it “making peace with” or “finding closure.”

The bearers of bad news have come to share this point of no return with Jairus. According to them, it is all over. Nothing more can be done to save his daughter. He has to make peace with this event and move on with his life – now without his beloved child. Jesus surprises these realists. His command to the girl shows us that no situation lies beyond God’s reach. …

This miracle reminds us of our own fallible beliefs and conclusions. In this Lenten journey God can surprise us with a few words: “Little girl, get up!”

When all seems lost and beyond our control: “Get up!” When life offers the finality of a lost job, forgotten hope, failed marriage: “Get up!” These words, when spoken by the divine voice, silence the critics yet. No one can force or persuade God to perform this resurrection; these words come from God in God’s own time.

– Wessel Bentle

From pages 32-33 of The Miracles of Jesus: Meditations and Prayers for Lent by Wessel Bentley. Copyright © 2012 by Wessel Bentley. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Consider your words today. Surrender yourself to the possibility that things may not be as fixed or absolute as you have imagined. Lent fosters an openness to being astonished by God’s self-revelation. Share your thoughts.

Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you that have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Isaiah 55:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who lack access to clean water. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Polycarp (February 23).

• Jill February 22, 2016, 4:13 am

Yes, Father – Your ways are not my ways. I often need to be reminded of that. I pray with the Psalmist – that my desires would be aligned with Yours. That I would desire to walk with You, that You would continually search my heart and cleanse me. Continue to astonish me by Your Grace and Mercy. Lead me in Your Righteousness. Amen.
    Joy – it seems you were astonished by a wonderful act of kindness yesterday by the teenager. I pray that your recovery from your injury and potential surgery would be blessed with other surprises by God sent angels. Betsy – so glad that your nephew is taking steps towards his normal routine. Prayers continue for his progress and strength and wisdom for your sister and family. Robert – prays also for Annaliese and her upcoming surgery.
    So grateful for church yesterday – wonderful music and message. Grateful for a walk with a friend in still balmy weather conditions.

• robert moeller February 22, 2016, 5:02 am

Thankful that Anneliese recovered from her abdominal pain yesterday, that I had a safe trip to see Erich, we had a wonderful supper, he is recovering from his skin problem, resources in the bank where they can be used to help others, and I made contact with a modeler. Hopefully, Erich and I can accomplish some tasks today.

Prayers for those without clean water. May they also find the water that Jesus gives. Prayers for Betsy and her nephew, Joy and her injury. Lord, in You we trust. All we have comes from You.

Like Jesus we need water and we need the water that Jesus provides. This passage has been with me for some time, almost 20 years, and yet new readings provide new insight. As a human Jesus needed water just as we do. We know this from this passage, from actions taken to give Jesus water on the way to Calvary, and Jesus’ words on the cross. We can’t see the water Jesus gives us, but it sustains us nonetheless. Without it we would not be alive. Thank You, Lord, for the precious gift of living water.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 22, 2016, 6:24 am

Yes, many times I’m astonished by God’s self revelation through gifts I received and things that happened in my life. One incident was yesterday I was at a stationery shop, I saw a few beautiful note books and pouches that I like very much. However, I did not buy them. Instead, I went marks and spencer and bought something for my Sister as I was meeting her for dinner.
    When I met my Sister, she gave me a bag which has these words printed on it: sometimes, good things happen. So here it is. My Sister asked me to open the bag and I saw two note books and two pouches which I saw earlier in the shop. What a pleasant surprise for my birthday!

This incident reminds me that God is full of pleasant surprises and I should not stop being astonished by Him.

Thank you Father God for the pleasant surprises you have for each of us. We are too blessed being your children!

• Betsy February 22, 2016, 6:50 am

My favorite Gospel is the Book of Mark, for the many miracles presented there. Thank you for sharing one of His with us today. Continued prayers fo Annelise as her surgery nears. Mary, Happy Birthday to you! Your blessed to have such a thoughtful sister. Grateful for wonderful springlike weather this weekend, inspiring worship yesterday, and a call from a long ago friend last evening. My surprise gift!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 22, 2016, 8:34 am

Thanks so much Betsy! My actual birthday is on 26th.

• Howard February 22, 2016, 8:41 am

I read a devotion yesterday morning that used this same passage. I wrote down Mark 5:36 as my breath prayer for the day “Don’t be afraid, just have Faith” Jesus’ words to Jairus. Jairus did and oh what a reward for his faithfulness!!
    Loving Father help us to not be afraid and to have Faith in You and all Your promises.

Prayers for Joy, Betsy’s nephew, Anneliese’s upcoming surgery, praying always, have a blessed day children of God.

• Pam February 22, 2016, 11:57 am

I SO needed this word today, and, as always, all of your insights! My oldest daughter been planning her wedding for a very long time and her little sister met and married a man quickly and first. Now we just found out my younger daughter is expecting and my Anna still hasn’t quite forgiven Laura for her FIRST “thunder stealing”.

• Rusty February 22, 2016, 10:38 pm

What wonderful blessings, Pam. Twenty eight years ago my wife K (the younger sister of two) and I did the same thing — we snuck in with a short-planned wedding two months before K’s sister’s long-planned wedding. We just made up our mind and decided why wait? She got over it 😉 and we all love to laugh about it together all these years later. Prayers for you and your (growing) family!

• Pam February 23, 2016, 11:31 am

Thank you, Rusty! That is exactly how I feel about it! (I just wish I could “fast forward” to that part!)