Unselfish Love

LENT PROVIDES a wonderful opportunity to let the unselfish and other-centered kind of love that took Jesus to the cross flow more freely throughout our lives. Then our broken lives will overflow in love toward God and our neighbor.

– Trevor Hudson
Pauses for Lent

From page 45 of Pauses for Lent: 40 Words for 40 Days by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2015 by Trevor Hudson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Daily Practice

One practical way for the love of Christ to flow through you is to extend forgiveness to someone who has hurt you. Think of a person today to whom you might offer forgiveness. How can you show the love of Christ to this person?

Share your thoughts.

I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food….

1 Corinthians 10:1-3, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who lack access to clean water. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers. Call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Polycarp (February 23).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• robert moeller February 25, 2016, 4:22 am

Thank you, Rusty, Sara, and Carol for your thoughts and prayers for Anneliese. We go to the hospital at 10 this morning. I pray all goes well, that God is with everyone involved.

Thankful for a good day yesterday, took care of an errand, cleaned the house,
    and prepared for today. Thankful for good news from Erich. Thankful for the UR and all who come. The Lord is there as two or more are gathered in Jesus’ name. Thank You, Lord.

Prayers for those without clean water. Life without it is much more difficult.

• Sara February 25, 2016, 5:51 am

Robert, more thoughts and prayers coming your way for Anneliese, you and your family. God Bless.

Lord, guide me and give me a forgiving attitude in situations in my life where there needs to be forgiveness. Thank you, Lord, with Your help all things are possible.

Prayers for clean water and be with the ones who work at supplying clean water for our communities. Prayers for those who live in countries where the water resources are limited. Blessings today for our families and for the UR family. May God’s love surround us. Amen

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 25, 2016, 6:24 am

Robert, keeping Anneliese and you in prayer. May the operation be successful and may Anneliese recover speedily.

• Rusty February 25, 2016, 6:53 am

A good challenge in today’s question. There is someone who for several years has been my forgiveness “project”. I honestly believed I had forgiven this person who some years ago caused me to alter my career path and accept less pay, indefinitely. I thought he had changed and I made peace with him two years ago. I thanked God for that.

Today, I am truly still blessed by God with an excellent career, but I definitely took a major hit because of this man’s actions – and my own decision not to fight back (which would have caused lasting collateral damage to our organization). I believed I had moved on . . . But recently I learned he’s back at it again – breaking rules, testing limits, and threatening others’ reputations and careers, all for his own personal advancement and enrichment. And, my, how my sense of forgiveness of him seems to have wafted away. Lord, you are teaching me an important lesson in all this. Please, may I learn what you would have me to understand. Perhaps it is more compassion for others still struggling with forgiveness. And yes, I still need to show love to this person. Lord, please order my steps.

Grateful for so much in life. The Lord be with all who visit this blessed place today, and Robert, prayers for you and Anneliese today. Godspeed to you both!

• Lou February 25, 2016, 6:54 am

Forgiveness is so hard when you are in the depths of pain. Lord help me look to you – guide me through the valley- help me to be more like you. Keep me centered and focused on your love- you are all I need.
    Prayers for this community – so many in need of your love, strength, and healing Lord. Thank you for this group of people of faith.
    Bless us and forgive us all as You help us to forgive. amen.

• Edy February 25, 2016, 7:13 am

Jesus, help me to reach out to my brother who is still the “black sheep” of course he doesn’t think breaking away from family is wrong. I do love him as a child because he is 21 years younger than me. But he has chosen a lifestyle that goes against all my standards of living. Help me to be humble and reach out to him, Lord. Give me strength and courage. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

• Betsy February 25, 2016, 7:21 am

Rusty, I also have a work-related person who was damaging to me. A fellow educator who I had taught with for my last two years. When I retired, we ended on pleasant, but cool terms. I don’t see her anymore, but I know I harbor bad feelings toward her for the way in which she treated myself and others. Even though we know longer work together, I know I need to ask God to help me forgive her…for me! In my Bible study of the last letters of John, we are studying that we are expected to love our brother in order to show God’s perfect love to others. Help me, Lord, with this freeing of resentment and open me to forgiveness. Amen
    I also am continuing to pray for Annaliese as she has her surgery today, Robert. May God help to guide the hands of her doctors and strengthen her in the days to come.

• Rusty February 25, 2016, 8:01 am

Thank you, Betsy. Very, very helpful. I didn’t realize until I wrote my post this morning how much this still affects me. Resentment is absolutely the right word. I will pray for you, and please pray for me – and one day we’ll have a wonderful laugh about all this together “on the other side”. Bless you.

• Carol February 25, 2016, 7:32 am

My prayers rest throughout the day today with Annaliese and all who surround her. I pray from that part of me that experienced a hip replacement last February. I am so excited for the possibilities that lie ahead for her.

• Connie February 25, 2016, 7:56 am

Prayers for Annaliese and may God be there in the Operating Room, Recovery Room, and in the days ahead. May her pain be less and her recovery time speedy.
    Be with Lou. Strengthen and guide her, and comfort her when things get rough.
    God, forgive me for I have sinned. Help me to do better so that my prayers will be acceptable in Thy sight. Amen

• Howard February 25, 2016, 8:12 am

Continued Prayers for Robert and Anneliese, God be with you and all your family.
    Prayers for Lou, may God’s peace comfort you and strengthen you, Amen.
    Praying always, without ceasing, have a blessed day children of God.

Loving Father help me to forgive as others have forgiven me, In Jesus’ name, Amen

• Andrea February 25, 2016, 11:48 am

Robert, I pray for Anneliese and you, and all the medical and health staff caring for her.

I feel I have made progress in forgiveness. It is a freeing process. Thank You, Gracious God.

Bless all who visit today. May all who come to UR experience God’s caring providence.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 26, 2016, 1:46 am

Father God, may our lives overflow in love toward you and our Neighbour. May you grant us a forgiving heart. May you remove the resentment and bitterness in our life as we forgive those who have hurt us.