Letting Christ In

THE DECISION to let go and let God is not something we do once and for all. Our initial surrender to Christ allows him, as it were, entrance through the front door of our house. It expresses our willingness to let God transform, if necessary, the whole of our personal, sexual, financial, and social lives. But it is only the beginning of the faith journey. In order to live fully in the house of transformation, we need to turn over to Christ, room by room, every aspect of our personalities, especially those rooms hidden from public view. As we do this, we learn that conversion is a lifelong process that takes place gradually, one day at a time.

– Trevor Hudson
Hope Beyond Your Tears

From page 77 of Hope Beyond Your Tears: Experiencing Christ’s Healing Love by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2012 by Trevor Hudson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What part of you is ready to receive Christ? Share your thoughts.

He replied, ‘Sir, let it alone for one more year, until I dig around it and put manure on it. If it bears fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.'”

Luke 13:8-9, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who lack access to clean water. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers. Call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Polycarp (February 23).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 28, 2016, 2:30 am

Father God, I am ready to let go and let you in every aspect of my life cause I know you can make the best of it.

Thank you God for the weekends and the people you have out in my life.

• robert moeller February 28, 2016, 4:34 am

Thankful that Anneliese is now in rehab. This is a more familiar setting having been here before. She settled in, had meals, a shower, pain medication, and rest. Surgery went well, and while she lost some blood, she is regaining strength, and didn’t need blood. Thankful for progress for Erich with recovery from illness, progress with baking, and needed car repairs identified and being addressed. Thankful for prayers from many for Anneliese. Church today.

Prayers for those without clean water, may resources come to help them. Lord, guide us as we find new leaders in government. Thankful for the ceasefire in Syria, may it hold, and may a peaceful solution to the problems there be found. Prayers fir those who died in gun violence, their families, and communities. Lord, help us find solutions to life ending violence. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

• Rusty February 28, 2016, 6:20 am

Lord, thank you for Robert’s good news about Anneliese. May she continue on a path toward rapid recovery and complete healing. Please bless Robert, his family and all who place their trust in you.

I really like today’s reading. The metaphor of opening doors throughout the house of our lives to invite Jesus in, I find, is so helpful. Many who study scripture return again and again to the same ones, and a popular isolated scripture is the one about Jesus knocking at the door to your heart. I have learned, though, that this is only the first step, and scripture as a whole teaches about life transformation as a lifelong, ongoing process . . . so much about conversion to faith in Jesus Christ is not “one and done” – continuing to open doors in our lives for Jesus to enter is a beautiful image.

• Steve February 28, 2016, 7:25 am

Rusty, I also liked today’s reading and I liked your comment about our transformation being a life-long process. It reminded me of the words from a song that our youth choir will sing at church this morning. The song is titled, “He’s Still Workin’ On Me”, and part of it goes, “There really ought to be a sign upon my heart, ‘Don’t judge me yet’, there’s an unfinished part. But I’ll be perfect just according to His plan, fashioned by the Master’s loving hands.”
      Prayers for Anneliese and blessings to all the Upper Room family.

• Lou February 28, 2016, 7:37 am

You are a great teacher- I always look forward to your comments – you always inspire me – I am encouraged daily through your thoughtful comments- thank you- you are a blessing.

• Rusty February 28, 2016, 7:04 pm

Thank you both, Steve and Lou, for the encouraging words, and glory to God! Praise you, Lord and thank you that you’re still workin’ on each one of us. 🙂

• Betsy February 28, 2016, 7:35 am

So glad to hear of Annaliese’s road to recovery. Lord, I ask for continued strength and compassion as she as she works at rehabilitation.

Such a strong visual for me of God entering my house and turning over ALL my rooms to Him. Letting go of long held beliefs and fears, cleaning out the dark corners; it is freeing. I trust you to show me where I need to open up to you.
    Grateful to come together and worship today, enjoy the beautiful sunny day and rest in God’s love .

• Connie February 28, 2016, 7:45 am

He stands at the door and knocks…….come in, Lord Jesus, you are welcome here.

• Sara February 28, 2016, 10:12 am

A beautiful and thoughtful reflection. I am so thankful that I’m on a faith journey with God. Lord, I pray that all can experience this relationship with God.

Blessings today to the UR family on this beautiful sunny day.