Make Us Like the Wind

MAKE US LIKE THE WIND – ever-moving and ever moving others. And with joy we will dance with the leaves. In submission we will linger in the shade, cooling the skin of those scorched by the sun’s heat. In awe we will pause and be still enough to hover over creation, admiring your world and waiting for your command. And when you move us, we will fly with more strength, reminding people that you are present even in times you may seem invisible. Breathe into our souls, Lord, and make us like the wind, like your Holy Spirit – in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

– Valerie Bridgeman Davis and Safiyah Fosua
Africana Worship Book: Year A

Prayer by Ciona D. Rouse. From page 31 of The Africana Worship Book: Year A, edited by Valerie Bridgeman Davis and Safiyah Fosua. Copyright © 2006 by Discipleship Resources. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

Happy are those to whom the LORD imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

Psalm 32:2, NRSV

This Week: pray for caregivers. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers. Call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Katherine Drexel (March 3).

• Jill March 2, 2016, 4:27 am

Rusty – thanks for sharing from your depths yesterday…I appreciate your words and allowing us to know you a bit more. I certainly wouldn’t encourage future brevity! There was wisdom in what you wrote, very Spirit inspired. Prayers, too, for Russell’s family. And, Father – draw near to each of us, post-ers and readers, might we glorify You in all ways.
    I am so anxious for Spring – to be an observer of new growth, splashes of green and the re-awakening of things in my little corner of the world. To stand silently as the wind rustles, to listen and look for glimpses of God.
    Grateful for a multitude of tasks accomplished yesterday. Grateful for a good meeting with the university supervisor, my student teacher and myself.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 2, 2016, 6:29 am

Thank you Rusty for sharing with us your thoughts. Glad that you have grown so much through the years. May you continue to grow in Christlikeness.

Yes, Lord, breathe into our souls and make us like the wind, ever moving and ever moving others.

These days, I love to sit at the park and enjoy the wind blowing against my face. It reminds me of God’s creation and Jesus authority over the wind. In science we learnt that the wind can have the power to change the direction of moving things. May we all be used by God to be a change agent in this world, spreading the good news and empowered to live a victorious life in Christ Jesus.

• Betsy March 2, 2016, 7:07 am

Thanks to Rusty for sharing himself with us. Don’t ever apologize for opening up to us about your journey, Rusty. This so shows the whole concept of spiritual life as a journey. Isn’t reflection powerful?
    We are so blessed as God’s children to be able to look back on our own journey in this life. Grateful today to have a platform in which to do that among friends and fellow believers. Thank you, Lord, for this season of Lent, of reflection. Equip us for our continued walk with You. Amen

• Sara March 2, 2016, 7:57 am

Make us like the wind – I compare that to going with the flow. Some days are busy and others slower where one can reflect and other days when interruptions keep coming our way. That’s what keeps life interesting and one has to wonder at times where God is in all of our ordinary living, but God is guiding and leading. Thank you God.

Rusty, I didn’t see your comment when I posted so I visited yesterday’s Reflection and I enjoyed reading about your journey. We all have a journey and I think it’s helpful and encouraging to others to share ones experiences.
    Thank you.

Prayers for caregivers. Give them strength to carry on with their daily tasks.
    Prayers today for all who visit the UR. May Your blessings and peace surround them. Amen

• robert moeller March 2, 2016, 8:44 am

Thank you all for your prayers for Russell’s family, Anneliese, everyone who comes and posts, and me. Being lifted up is a wonderful feeling. Thankful for Rusty’s post. Have not examined my faith, spiritual life, like that and certainly have not written about it. I do know that the passing of my first wife and the support I received shortly thereafter had a tremendous impact on my life.
    No Rolling Stones in my life’s journey, it was folk and classical music. Coffee had no impact until I went to Jamaica and enjoyed Blue Mountain coffee, yet I’m still mostly a tea and milk drinker. Teaching, serving in the military (thankfully no combat, even those I came close to going to Vietnam and Desert Storm), raising children, caring for Mom, Soo Ok, and now Anneliese were and are important. God makes it all possible.

For those in mourning for they shall be comforted, for those who help others, for those who share their faith and lift us up, Lord, I pray. They are all in Your arms, safe and sound, no matter what the world throws at them. Thank You, Lord.

Amazing what can happen in less than a week. Anneliese had hip replacement surgery on Thursday afternoon, by Saturday morning she was transferred to rehab, and yesterday they asked her when she wanted to come home. She is doing very well with physical and occupational therapy, still has pain, but is well on her way to recovery. Thank You, Lord.

Slowly but surely a model of a railroad dining car that ran through my boyhood town is being assembled. Thank You, Lord.

Blessings to all, have a God-filled day.

• Rusty March 2, 2016, 1:23 pm

What a wonderful community of friends we have here. I am blessed to be cradled in the arms of such a loving group. Thank you, friends, and thank you, Lord, for this oasis. Peace be with each one of us.

Joy, submission, awe –this reading has it all! I like the way these authors combine these principles with a reverence for nature. I also like how their turns of phrase make me concentrate to draw out layers of meaning. And “seeing” the Holy Spirit as wind – he has been described in this way for ages, and yet the mystery of him and his influence in our lives is immense, unconstrained, flowing, refreshing and so powerful. Like the wind. Beautiful! Truly awe-some.