Resolved to Persevere

THERE IS NO PERFECT performance; there is no perfect race. We as human beings will have setbacks and stumbles. How we handle those setbacks is the most important thing – think on your feet and think quickly!

We are going to stumble on this journey, but how we recover makes all the difference! We can collapse, or we can choose to do some fancy footwork, regain our balance, and dance on! Everyone knows if we collapse, but few realize we have stumbled if we come up with fancy footwork and move on toward the goal.

Paul himself notes that he has not won the race or reached the goal: “I do not consider that I have made it my own” (Philippians 3:13). But he still strives and presses forward. Yet he, like us, can acknowledge that we need not run anxiously, for the end is assured. We know the outcome. In this race, everyone wins because Christ has made us his own. Circumstances may offer the opportunity to take a step back. Obstacles will appear along the pathway, but we simply press on. …

Mighty God, I pray for wisdom and stamina to turn my stumbles into dances as I strive toward the prize of your call in Christ Jesus. Amen.

The Upper Room Disciplines 2016

From the reading for March 12, by Kathy Evans, page 95 in The Upper Room Disciplines 2016: A Book of Daily Devotions. Copyright © 2015 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray the prayer at the end of today’s reading. Share your thoughts.

Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old.

I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

Isaiah 43:18-19, NRSV

This Week: those who struggle with worry. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers. Call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Harriet Tubman (March 10).

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrWordPressShare

• Rusty March 7, 2016, 6:37 am

I’m sorry – the fancy footwork thing and turning stumbles into dances thing kinda doesn’t work for me. I guess I spend enough time around people with physical disabilities, that metaphor seems less than helpful. And I know some people who simply are not physically gifted (and cope with the world constantly pointing that fact out to them) who would feel exasperated by this reading.

I do think the Philippians 3:13 reading is helpful. Really, I believe the point the author is making is that we need to rely on God, and endeavor to do what we do with him and for his glory.

Blessings and peace to all in the UR family today.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 7, 2016, 6:58 am

Grateful for my Niece to arrive home safely from her Japan holiday and the joy of eating the delicious snacks.

Father God, may we all persevere and never give up even when our life journey gets difficult. When we stumble, we know that you are there for us and will pick us up or even carry us when we are too weary.

We uplift those who struggle with anxieties. Help us to commit our burden to you and you will make a way for nothing is impossible with you.

• Lou March 7, 2016, 7:32 am

He will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the dessert…. That is my focus – that he will make things new and lead us if we but follow him only.
    My goal for 7 months has been trying to regain my marriage -even though I pray thy will be done – I know I want my way – I just so desperately wanted and still want to preserve my marriage and my family- but try as I might these prayers for the restoration have gone unanswered? I do not know God’s will – I am trying to listen to his voice – I am trying to follow. But my husband told me he wants to tell our three children and then I feel the damage is done and there is no turning back.
    In my sorrow I wait upon the Lord – lead me Lord – I will follow. You will make a path for me.
    Prayers for all in this group- for healing, restoration, love, courage.
    You all inspire me with your faith each day.
    Press on.

• Carol March 7, 2016, 7:44 am

Lou, your heart must be so heavy and I am sad for you. There is a ministry with a website, A Cry For Justice, that has great resources. Over the last couple years of reading, I have been able to make sense of a difficult marriage. It may be of help to you or totally irrelevant. Hold your head a little higher today, look in the mirror and smile at yourself. May you find even one moment when your eyes dance today.

• Carol March 7, 2016, 7:34 am

My uncle remains in the care of hospice, sleeping a lot and pain free. Today’s reading draws me back to decision making times with him over the last 4 yrs. I have not always had positive outcomes with family members in those times. I have apologized to some when I erred in how I handled the situations. Life is full of trial and error and practice. Remorse lingers. I have very little coordination for sports or dance, but…..today, in my heart and mind, choose to dance freely, to no longer look backward on those times. I admire those who dance because I have observed it to be an expression of freedom and release.

• robert moeller March 7, 2016, 7:54 am

Thankful for Anneliese’s and Erich’s progress, for this day, and a good ending to Downton Abbey.

While I have given and will give my worries to the Lord, there seems to be an unending line of them. Thank You, Lord, that You are capable of handling all of them. I’m with you, Rusty, rarely am I able to dance my way through. Getting up is no so hard.

Prayers for Lou and Carol. May God show You the way and enable you on your path. Prayers of thanksgiving for all who have encouraged and prayed for Anneliese and me. Good progress is being made.

• Joan March 7, 2016, 7:55 am

As I prayed through this and thought about carrying it through the day, it became…
    Turn MY stumbles into YOUR dances

• Edy March 7, 2016, 8:21 am

For me, I love to dance! If you have rhythm it is easy and fun! But when you don’t have rhythm it becomes awkward and clumsy. But if you keep practicing things get better. Get rhythm and keep at it. This life is not a dress rehearsal! We must “carry on” and keep trying. Put on the armor of God and be out there dancing and share with others how to dance and walk with Him.

• Sara March 7, 2016, 8:50 am

Oh my, today’s Reflection pushes so many buttons, so to speak. Lou, my heart and prayers go out to you. What you are experiencing is a difficult journey and a journey one keeps walking and doing your best. I still struggle, at times, with our son and his divorce. Actually things are moving along fairly well and we sit together as a family at sporting events, birthday events and other occasions , but it’s not always easy, but it’s good for their children.

Prayers today for all at the UR and if we can’t physically dance let’s dance in our mind and heart. God will welcome us and be near us.

• Betsy March 7, 2016, 11:26 am

I guess I read something entirely different in today’s passage. I’m reminded of The Dance that is explored in Keller’s book King’s Cross. He explores the Dance that is initiated by the Triune- Father , Son and Holy Spirit. The way those parts of our Father glorify one another, “dance” . He points to our role in this dance; to let go of our self-centeredness, and to embrace the joy of fellowship and support of others. We are not alone in the struggle that is life. We glorify Him by our reaching out in love and in our cries; for help from God and our brothers and sisters. Just a different slant on The Dance.
    I agree with Sara; passages and words can bring about such different emotions and responses! It’s good that we are all searching…

• Rusty March 7, 2016, 2:55 pm

I like that. Thanks.

• Sara March 7, 2016, 8:11 pm

Betsy, searching is what I am doing in my daily walk. Tonight was a lovely evening when we all sat together to watch our grandson, a sophomore, receive awards for his wrestling season. Life is definitely bittersweet. I see my grandson practically every day and I mentioned to him how many changes he went through and how it hurt me too and I was happy that we could still have times together for celebrations. He told me that some of his friends can’t be together with their parents. Didn’t want to rattle on, but it is something close to my heart and divorce saddens me with the hurt it causes. Again, Lou, may God gently watch over you and your family and give you strength with each day.