A World Worth Saving

I INVITE YOU TO NOTICE a peculiarity in the hymn “What Wondrous Love Is This.” There are no question marks. We might expect to see a question mark at the end of a sentence that begins with “What.” Throughout the hymn we sing one declarative statement after another. Each stanza praises God for the gift of Christ. This steadfast declaration of faith invites us to ask one question: Why did Jesus Christ empty himself or, as the hymn says, “bear the dreadful curse for my soul”?

The answer: God thinks that the world is worth saving and invites us to believe this too. If we, like Jesus Christ, believe the world is worth saving, then we will act on behalf of Christ for the sake of the world.

We will serve others in the ways that Jesus served others. We will speak and act against injustice in the world. We will feed the hungry and find ways to change food policies. We will clothe the naked and minister to those who are homeless. We will visit those in prison and work to make the prison a place where individuals are restored to wholeness.We will make God’s justice and love real on earth. We will find new ways to exercise stewardship for all creation. We will do all this because the world is worthy of redemption.

– George Hovaness Donigian
A World Worth Saving

From page 26 of A World Worth Saving: Lenten Spiritual Practices for Action by George Hovaness Donigian. Copyright © 2013 by George Hovaness Donigian. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Because God thinks the world is worth saving, what response will you make? Share your thoughts.

The LORD has done great things for us, and we rejoiced.

Psalm 126:3, NRSV

This Week: those who struggle with worry. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers. Call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Harriet Tubman (March 10).

• Jill March 9, 2016, 4:19 am

I am sitting here trying to figure out why “It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me” – immediately began playing in my mind as I finished reading the devotional. Perhaps that is the simple reason why I must act in the world…to bring about His Kingdom. Jesus died. But He didn’t die only for me…so I must bring that news to others.
    Grateful to feel prepared for my pre-observation conference this morning. All of my preparations in early February have paid off now that my assistant principal’s calendar has a place for me. So, we meet today and he observes me tomorrow. Right now, I feel prepared – but we will see how the conference unfolds. Grateful, too, for unseasonably warm temperatures – oh, how I am ready for spring. Grateful for a lone crocus who popped its little head up out of the soil under my mailbox.

• robert moeller March 9, 2016, 5:28 am

Grateful that I have a Lord and Savior who did for me what I can not do for myself and that I am a child of God. We, who believe, are redeemed because God knows we can not escape the devil on our own. We need Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit, with them we can resist the devil, when and if we fall, we can repent, confess, be forgiven and restored. Thank You, Lord, for Your precious gift.

Prayers for all who worry. It is our human nature. Despite knowing that we can’t add a minute to our lives by worrying, we do it anyway. Lord, You know us better than we know ourselves. You know our thoughts before we think them. Help us trust in You. With You there is no need for worry. Your peace is sufficient. Thank You, Lord.

Thankful for a nice day and the chance to be outside. Anneliese had a nice walk outdoors. She is making progress. Thankful for a windshield replaced, that Isis is fine, that Erich has medical coverage and is healing. Thankful for two granddaughters. Jenny’s birthday is tomorrow. Lord, all we have is a gift from You. Thank You, Lord.

Prayers for God’s peace and blessings to all who come to the UR. Lord, in Your sight we are all equal. That is an amazing thought. The Lord loves us all the same.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 9, 2016, 5:44 am

Grateful that my dad bought my Favourite fried cockles noodles for dinner.

Thank you God for saving us and sending Jusus Christ to die on the cross for our sins. Thank you for your amazing grace and love for us. May we reflect your love and grace to the world so that many more may be saved and know you as their one and only great God.

• Connie March 9, 2016, 7:51 am

This comment is for Lou. I have been thinking of her. I want her to know that God is working in her behalf at this very moment, and will soften her pain and someday bring her life to a “different normal”. I have found that a person cannot make another person love them if that person chooses otherwise. All we can do is protect ourselves and our children and, with God’s help, it will all work out and the sun will shine again. It did for me and it will for you. I will be praying for you. (I usually don’t open up like this, but felt moved to do so.)

• Sara March 9, 2016, 9:54 am

If God thinks the world is worth saving I certainly believe it too. Thank you UR for this challenging Reflection today. This Reflection inspires us to go forth and do good, help others and make the world a better place for us and for future generations.

God, may Your wisdom and blessings be with all who visit the UR today. Thank you, Lord for this beautiful day. Amen

• Brown eyes Grier March 10, 2016, 6:16 am

I need prayer for help in making my body a living sacrifice to GOD…Not putting harmful things in my body that Defiles GOD. Cigs., drugs, etc.