All Is God’s Gift

MOST OF THE TIME we view life’s goodness as something to which we are entitled, especially if we have worked hard to achieve it and have invested much energy in maintaining it. We fail to realize that nothing is ours. All that is, is gift. Ponder this: All that we are, all that we have, all that we experience, all that we know, all that we do, all that we love and hate is gift – God-gift. All is gift from the Creator to the created, from the Father to the children, from the Son to his friends, from the Lover to the beloved, from the Mother to us all, and from all of us to one another. God gifts us every moment of every day.

– Jane Marie Thibault
10 Gospel Promises for Later Life

From pages 57-58 of 10 Gospel Promises for Later Life by Jane Marie Thibault. Copyright © 2004 by Jane Marie Thibault. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Give thanks to God for all God’s gifts. Share your thoughts.

Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus’ feet, and wiped them with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

John 12:3, NRSV

This Week: those who struggle with worry. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers. Call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Harriet Tubman (March 10).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 12, 2016, 1:52 am

Thank you Father God for your generosity and all the gifts you have showered upon us. Help us not to take for granted all the goodness and all that you have provided for us.

Bless and protect us from all harm and danger. Help those who are anxious and cannot let go.

• robert moeller March 12, 2016, 4:08 am

Yes, all we have and are is a gift from God. Thank You, Lord.

Thank You, Lord, for all the comments yesterday. Prayers for Lou, Ramona, Rusty’s 40 year old friend, students in Mary’s classes, belated birthday celebrations, new family members, listeners, and those present with us.

Grateful for lenten service and lunch yesterday, copies of the UR to send to others, repairs and tasks around the house done, Anneliese’s continued progress, and modeling parts that arrived and were put to use.

Based on our God-given ability to think, in America we spring forward one hour with our clocks tonight to daylight savings time. Hope everyone has a restful weekend, blessings in Jesus’ name. Amen.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 13, 2016, 7:39 am

Thanks Robert for your prayers!

• Jill March 12, 2016, 4:51 am

Yes, Father – we need to be mindful that all is gift. It is not ours to cling to, but to loosely hold, to mind, to care after/for…to ultimately return to You, to glorify You. I think especially of those You have gifted to me in the form of relationships. I have been guilty of trying to “own” these things…but am getting better at offering “freedom” – freedom to let them be who they need to be…ideally who You desire them to be. Father – grow me into the person You designed me to be. You are the potter.
    Grateful for the completion of the school week – very hectic and intense at times. Grateful for dinner with a former student and basketball player of mine last evening. So blessed to meet with her a few times each year to catch up. Grateful to hear birds this early morning – yes, Spring – come on in!!!

• Steve March 12, 2016, 5:22 am

Your response reminded me of a “Living Insight” found in my Insight For Living Study Bible by pastor and author, Charles R. Swindoll. He quotes Corrie ten Boom, “Vell, I’ve learned to hold everything loosely, because it hurts ven God pries my fingers apart and takes them from me.”
      Blessings to all the Upper Room family. Off to work at our Pancake & Sausage Breakfast at church this morning.

• Rusty March 12, 2016, 7:13 am

Today’s reading and comments reminded me of a podcast talk I recently heard in which the speaker asked, “What of you only had today the things you praised God for yesterday?” Yes, everything is a gift from God!

Blessings to all on the beautiful Saturday morning!

• Sara March 12, 2016, 8:05 am

A gorgeous, sunny day and no pressing commitments. Thank you Lord for days like this and Your many, many other blessings You so freely give to us. Prayers for those with a difficult situation in their life. Lord, ease their burden temporarily with Your peace.

God’s blessing and peace to the UR family as we go about our day with God’s abundant blessings surrounding us.

• April March 12, 2016, 9:05 am

Good Morning UR friends and thank you for gifting me with your thoughts each day! Starting the day by reading your reflections of the day’s topic helps keep me focused on the Christian way to meet/solve problems in the world.
    Worry is one way to meet our problems, and I have/still worry. Recently my daily readings have shown me a different way to respond to problems. We are encouraged to name the problem (I have named my NF for never finished with my tasks at work). And then bring NF to God in prayer. By presenting NF to God, He knows that I trust Him with this problem and will help me solve it. I, on the other hand, can feel peace because I have shared this problem with God, confident that He will help me.
    1 Peter 5:7…Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you.

• Connie March 12, 2016, 9:10 am

I love the Corrie ten Boom quote. I have a book of devotions given to me by my daughter years ago. Here is the one for March 12….”It is all so simple!”
    “Yes, the truth is simple, but very deep. The complications come from ouselves or the devil.
    Jesus did it: the Bible tells it.
    I believe it: that settles it.
    In the beginning was the Word….John 1:1 KJV
    Thank you Lord, that even a child can understand it…..Corrie ten Boom