A Prayer for St. Patrick’s Day

CHRIST WITH ME, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.
—Attributed to Saint Patrick (387–c. 461)

Christ Beside Me, Christ Within Me

From page 13 of Christ Beside Me, Christ Within Me: Celtic Blessings by Beth A. Richardson. Copyright © 2016 by Beth A. Richardson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus….

Philippians 2:5, NRSV

This Week: those who serve communion. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers. Call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.

This week we remember: Patrick of Ireland (March 17).

• Jill March 17, 2016, 4:17 am

Father – may the evidence that Christ is in my heart be visibly and audibly noticeable as I encounter the tasks and events of today. A softer tone, a gentler touch, a smile to accompany words. Father – so many interactions – help my first intention to be love, not humor…to be guidance, not critique…to be encouragement, not division. Yes, Father – lead me in Your Righteousness. I lean into You…help me to be mindful to continually lean – each moment of the day.
    Grateful for many tasks accomplished yesterday at school. Grateful to take in sunset last evening – and the rosy colors in the sky. Grateful to be able to get restorative rest at night.

• Rusty March 17, 2016, 6:18 am

That’s beautiful, Jill. Thank you.

• Rusty March 17, 2016, 6:17 am

I’ve heard and loved that prayer for a long time. Never knew, though, that it was attributed to St. Patrick. Neat!

• Betsy March 17, 2016, 6:28 am

There is a beautiful musical arrangement by John Rutter of this prayer. I also didn’t know it was attributed to St. Patrick. I will work today to include Churist in all my daily activities. I take my brother to his neurologist today to get results of newest MRI test. Prayers for comforting words for us.
    Grateful for springlike weather, choir practice last night for upcoming Good Friday and Easter services, my husband’s safe return tonight from business travels.

• Rusty March 17, 2016, 11:25 am

Prayers on the way.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 17, 2016, 7:08 am

Grateful for dinner and another Long day is over. Grateful for the night to rest.

Father God, may you grant us the mind of Christ.

• robert moeller March 17, 2016, 8:23 am

Thankful for the prayers of the last two days, both from well known saints.
    I didn’t know of these prayers or who wrote them. Thankful for Jill’s wonderful response. Thankful for the fourth scripture in this week’s lectionary. It is long and powerful and prepares us for the events of Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.

Grateful for Anneliese’s physical therapy and a wonderful meal at a new restaurant. Heard from Erich who I will see on Sunday and Monday. Betsy’s husband is home safely. Slow but good progress on my model. Heard from a church friend yesterday. Hope to see her in church soon. Men’s communion breakfast is this Saturday.

Hope you all have a joyous Palm Sunday this weekend. Our Lord had one day in Jerusalem where he was recognized and welcomed by the people He ministered. Many blessings in His name to you all. Amen.

• Connie March 17, 2016, 8:45 am

I love those thoughts from St. Patrick. I don’t believe I have ever read the complete thoughts, though. We sing a song at church “Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me………..” What a joyful resurrection presence it brings to mind.

• Andrea March 17, 2016, 9:44 am

Christ embraces us and our every step. I am grateful for these days with my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. I pray my daughter will gain more confidence in herself. I give thanks for our deepening relationship. I pray for my friend Becki – the second friend to suddenly lose her husband. Gracious God, we do not understand tragedy, nor trauma. May we be Your Hands to those who suffer. Wishing God’s blessings on those who serve communion and a blessed St. Patrick’s Day to all the UR community.