Pray When You Are Busy

JESUS IMMERSED HIMSELF IN PRAYER when there was so much to be done and so little time to do it. Why? Time to nurture the spirit was not, and is not, a secondary luxury to be attended to only after all the real work gets done. It precedes busyness and routine. Indeed, setting aside time to nurture the spirit can transform busyness and routine into opportunities for faithful living. The question is not whether you can afford to have such times of immersion and inspiration. The question is whether you can afford not to have them.

Grant me, O God, a time and place of inspiration.
Immerse me in your presence, that I may know you with me in every time and place.
In Jesus Christ. Amen.

– John Indermark
Traveling the Prayer Paths of Jesus

From page 32 of Traveling the Prayer Paths of Jesus by John Indermark. Copyright © 2003 by John Indermark. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How would taking time to pray when you are busy change your life? Share your thoughts.

Today’s Scripture Reading

For the promise that he would inherit the world did not come to Abraham or to his descendants through the law but through the righteousness of faith.
Romans 4:13, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are struggling financially. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

For Your Spirit:

An estimated three million people around the world, in 100 countries and in 40 different languages, are reading The Upper Room daily devotional guide with you today. Consider a gift to grow this ministry as we reach around the globe.

This week we remember Gabriel Francis Possenti (February 27).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2012, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• robert moeller March 1, 2012, 4:43 am

It took a very long time, by human standards, for me to begin and end each day with prayer and there are times when I slip but doing this has helped allay fear, made me more able to face tasks and to carry on. Without God I very much doubt I would be able to be supportive to others. Lord, thank you for always being there. Amen

• robert moeller March 1, 2012, 4:49 am

Lord, help us do your will and be not only mindful of the needs of others but do for them what You do for us. In Your Name I pray. Amen

• Jay March 1, 2012, 7:10 am

Father, you know that this is not something I practice as I should or maybe I just don’t do it the way I think I should. I do feel very connected to you although I may not pray in the traditional sense. I’m committed to set a specific time in the morning and evening during Lent and I look forward to spending this extra time alone with you!

• heidi March 1, 2012, 11:43 am

Heh– good one, God.

before I read this earlier, I was blogging about just such a thing. And my need to repair my prayer life.

If you click on my name above, where it’s blue, or on the pretty design thingie to the upper right, you will go to my blog and can read my longer reflection there.

• Michael Ulmen March 1, 2012, 11:47 am

I would love to see that prayer in today’s Meditation that starts with “Grant me, O God” put to music using the melody of “HOME ON THE RANGE!”

• Prince's Mommy March 1, 2012, 2:19 pm

If I’m to be the only BIBLE someone ever sees
    Help me to reflect YOUR LOVE through calm or stormy breeze
    Like a lamp with CANDLE bright GUIDE us safely through the night
    That WE may LEAD another HOME by YOUR ETERNAL LIGHT

• terry March 1, 2012, 8:57 pm

if i was to take time to pray when i’m busy, i would be sure i was focusing on what’s REALLY important!

• phan mem April 20, 2013, 8:58 pm

The software will act like a” wrapper” for Android and puts Facebook feeds on a phone’s main screen. Successful speech-to-text still requires a lot of secular people out there don’t want to hear it, but a group of U.

It’s also worth noting Livestream isn’t constraining the
    Studio software to its own web platform, meaning that, as of now, Apple does not allow you to
    update your software over the Internet.