Come, Lord Jesus

COME, LORD JESUS! Pitch your tent and make your home with us. Be our friend and helper every day. Open our ears to your teachings, and strengthen us for the tasks you have given us. Come to reign in our hearts now, and come at last to reign in all the world. We praise your name and bow before you, for you are Jesus Christ, the Lord of heaven and earth. Amen.

-Blair Gilmer Meeks
Expecting the Unexpected

From p. 40 of Expecting the Unexpected by Blair Gilmer Meeks. Copyright (c) 2006 by Blair Gilmer Meeks. Published by The Upper Room(R). All Rights Reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

Let them praise the name of the LORD, for his name alone is exalted; his glory is above earth and heaven.
Psalm 148:13, NRSV

This Week: pray for children’s ministers. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

The folks at Upper Room Ministries wish a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

This week we remember:  Stephen (December 26).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2013, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• Jill December 28, 2013, 6:09 am

“Strengthen us for the tasks You have given us” – this resonates with me. Before I face my one difficult class each day – I try to take a couple of moments to mentally and spiritually prepare myself. And it comes down to that…Father – strengthen me, give me wisdom…because I cannot do this in my own strength and my own wisdom. I need supernatural help. He has “gifted” me with this class – intentionally, but I must rely on Him.
    (And how blessed to have a break from them…I trust that God has a sense of humor along with all of His other innumerable characteristics)

• robert moeller December 28, 2013, 7:28 am

Oh, do I hear you. I was in this situation many times, some years more difficult than others, but it was a constant for 17 years in an urban vocational high school. I’ll witness that it was God who got me through and God is and will continue to do the same for you. Enjoy too the break God has given you.

• robert moeller December 28, 2013, 7:40 am

Yes, Lord Jesus pitch Your tent in our hearts. Day by day I am more and more aware of how much I need You. You give me strength to keep going, wisdom to know what to do, and love that makes it all possible.
    Thank You Lord.

Lord, all of us are your missionaries, messengers of the Gospel. Help us as we spread the good news that it will be planted in everyone. I pray especially for my two children, adults now, and one with a child of her own. They were raised in a Christian home, baptized and confirmed, one earned both Cub Scout and Boy Scout religious badges, and now both have lost faith.

There were no youth pastors in my childhood, that development had not come about. I certainly have seen the good work done by a youth pastor and hope there are more. They are a very valuable asset to youth ministry and especially at the junior high level when kids have so many changes and distractions. Lord, be with youth pastors and may more be called for there is a multitude of children who don’t know You. In Your name I pray. Amen.

• Betsy December 28, 2013, 7:44 am

My “go to” scripture that I depend on many times is from Phillipians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ, my strength and redeemer.” Without him to guide me, I am nothing! In the classroom and in my personal life, challenges are constantly before me. He supports me as I go out to face the scary things in life. I ask for that continued strength and assurance for all those in our UR circle today and throughout the New Year.

• Lou December 28, 2016, 6:26 am

We all have many challenges- yet God sees us through. The faith expressed here by this group of believers inspires me to trust God more and trust that he will show me the way – that he has a plan for my life that I do not know but if I am still and listen He will lead me.
    It was a difficult Christmas for me – but my children thankfully appeared to do ok. They are not good communicators and keep much to themselves – but by all outside appearances they appeared to be happy throughout and their smiles and laughter brought me hope and even some happiness as well- I tried to provide a “normal” Christmas for them – keeping our traditions all intact for the most part. I made it through with God’s help I believe- I said many silent prayers. I am trying to make things the same for them – but I know that many things are so different.
    I keep turning to the knowledge that God will see us through and He is.
    Prayers for all who come here today seeking His peace and His guidance.
    I need thee oh I need they
    Every hour I need thee…

• Barry Chitwood December 28, 2016, 8:47 am

I am spending the holidays with my brother and his family in California. We always say a prayer before meals that begins, “Come Lord Jesus, be our guest…” In today’s reflection we are asking Jesus to be much more than our guest. May we open our hearts and minds to receive the infinite love and peace freely given by the One who comes to us seeking our souls.