God’s Eternal Now

MOMENTS SPENT WITH GOD in solitude nourish our souls and keep us young. Meister Eckhart, the German mystic, wrote (as translated and freely adapted by Matthew Fox):
My soul is as young as the day it was created.
Yes, and much younger!
In fact, I am younger today than I was yesterday,
and if I am not younger tomorrow than I am today,
I would be ashamed of myself.
People who dwell in God dwell in the eternal now.
There, people can never grow old.

– Jane Marie Thibault and Richard L. Morgan
Pilgrimage into the Last Third of Life

From page 91 of Pilgrimage into the Last Third of Life: 7 Gateways to Spiritual Growth by Jane Marie Thibault and Richard L. Morgan. Copyright © 2012 by Jane Marie Thibault and Richard L. Morgan. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Think about being in the enteral presence of God. Share your thoughts.

In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth.

Genesis 1:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for people living with mental illness. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468.

This week we remember:
Barnabas
(June 11).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2014, a ministry of GBOD | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• robert moeller June 9, 2014, 3:03 am

While scripture teaches us that God is ever present and believers acknowledge this truth, there are times when we have difficulty living with this truth. I am certain that God is well aware of our situation.
    Lord, help us.

There are many people dealing with mental illness of some form. We have a very difficult time knowing what to do, how to help. Often our efforts’s are totally wrong. Laws trying to potent a person’s privacy and rights make it hard to do anything until the situation becomes desperate.
    We know, Lord, that You cured many people long ago of mental illness.
    Your ability to do this is present today. Help those who need help and help those who wish to help to do the right thing because far too many people are suffering, dying because of mental illness. Thank You Lord !

• robert moeller June 9, 2014, 3:08 am

Thank you Jill for your prayers. Yes, Andrea I share your wish for God’s peace on everyone. We certainly need it.

• Jill June 9, 2014, 4:30 am

From eternity to eternity – You are God! Father – increase my eternal perspective of You. Who am I, that You are mindful of me? And yet – assuredly – You are! Such richness, vastness. This will be a good perspective to take through the day. In Your Infiniteness – Father – thank You for loving and desiring me. Might my earthly perspectives change because of this.

• JoAnn June 9, 2014, 7:48 am

Thanks for this perspective. I’ve never heard it before and it really brought joy to my soul and changed my perspective. Thanks again!

• Andrea June 9, 2014, 8:51 am

Gracious God, In Your presence we are re-created
    and each moment is holy. That our souls grow younger every day in Your presence is amazing. The depth and power of Your love is truly unfathomable. Thank You for the many ways Your love comes to us, including through the prayers of others. May we also be Your love to others, holding them in prayer and reaching out. Bless those who live with mental illness. May their suffering be relieved by Your loving, healing touch. Amen.

• Carol June 9, 2014, 9:17 am

I read this book when I turned 60. The first third of my life was nothing like the second third. Certainly, the last third will be much different. I desire to be all that God intends for me to be. I want to help others in healthy ways. The world and society have changed so much in the last thirty years that I need to retool, for my sake and for those around me. I don’t want my perspective to be about getting older, rather about living in eternity now.