Contemplative Prayer

OUR BEST HOPE for curing a runaway mind and a runaway heart may be creativity and contemplative prayer. Because they both require unhurried time, making space for these activities in our life may restore a simpler pace and give meaning to our existence.

Any spiritual pilgrim who has practiced contemplative prayer for a long time knows its power to free us from the grip of workaholism. Contemplative prayer allows us to be with God without doing anything and without striving.

Resting in Divine Presence, we experience the truth of our being. Life is a gift. We are God’s beloved. No matter what we do, we cannot earn our life or God’s love.

– Karla M. Kincannon
Creativity and Divine Surprise

From page 85 of Creativity and Divine Surprise: FInding the Place of Your Resurrection by Karla M. Kincannon. Copyright © 2005 by Karla M. Kincannon. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Look at the week ahead. Is there a time you can set aside for contemplative prayer? Share your thoughts.

Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then has the health of my poor people not been restored?

Jeremiah 8:22, NRSV

This Week: pray for migrant workers. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.

This week we remember: Catherine of Genoa (September 15).

• Jill September 12, 2016, 3:42 am

This week is very congested with activities, part of me loathes that. While each activity is good and needed – the lack of space for downtime and stillness is glaring. So grateful for time each morning. Will have to be very intentional about travel time in the car – to use that time to re-connect with God and to quiet myself.
    Strangely, had two very disconcerting dreams overnight. The second one, I woke up from – and once I fell back asleep – it continued where it left off. Not sure if I feel rested or not. Wish I could know God’s intentions with dreams.
    Grateful to do some light yard work and finish planting the fall flowers yesterday afternoon. The humidity broke – it was a lovely day. Windows are open, cat loves it!! Grateful to cross paths with a friend from Bible study at church yesterday. She is a nurse and I spoke with her a bit regarding my mother.

• robert moeller September 12, 2016, 5:56 am

Making time for God is always a good thing. Thank You, Lord, for always being there waiting for us. Not having to get up and go to work makes it easier. Either way, going to work or not, a commitment needs to be made.

Thankful for a wonderful Sunday celebrating Warren’s 90th birthday during coffee hour at church. Anneliese did a great job baking the cake and it all disappeared.

Prayers for Jill and her disconcerting dreams. I too do not understand how God speaks to us through them. Migrant workers are in the apple orchards here. Thankful for their effort, pray for fair pay, good lodging, and safe days and journeys.

Hope you all had a blessed Sunday and will have a God-filled week. Be safe in the Lord.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling September 12, 2016, 6:15 am

With residents moving into the condo behind my house, our wireless wifi is so weak. Could not connect the whole day till now.

Thank you Father God for the joy of resting in your presence. Today we have a public holiday – Hari Raya haji.

Thank you for the gift of life and your amazing love for us.

Thank you for the gift of life and your amazing love for each one of us.

• Rusty September 12, 2016, 6:53 am

I had an interesting sequence of thoughts as I read today’s reflection. I sensed it would recommend doing contemplative prayer and my thoughts where aggregating around the notion, “I don’t have time!” Then the question went on to ask, is there time in my week to set aside? Actually, maybe there is. I am flying to another state on business this week. I think I’ll try contemplative prayer on the plane! Thank you, UR. 🙂

Jill, I hope your dreams lead to a clarification from God. I will pray about that. Mary, I hope your wifi problems get resolved. How frustrating that must be for you! Robert, I’m glad Anneliese’s cake was popular. My wife and grown daughter baked all day yesterday – test cakes before the “real” ones headed for State Fair competition coming up this week. The house smelled wonderful.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling September 14, 2016, 7:40 am

Thanks Rusty!

• Connie September 12, 2016, 7:58 am

“There is a balm in Gillead”…oh, how I love that hymn. I also love the scripture in the UR Devotional from Lamentations…..3:33.
    Praying for Jill and all. My prayers have not been as focused lately, but this site centers me, and for that I thank God.

• Connie September 12, 2016, 8:00 am

*Gilead

• Sara September 12, 2016, 9:21 am

Yes, there is a time I can set aside for contemplative prayer, but I will have to discipline myself to actually have this prayer time. God, You are so faithful and good to me so I want to take time to sit in Your presence and pray.

Prayers for migrant workers and the long hours and hard work they do. Be with them and their families. You are their God and You love each one dearly.

Blessings to our families and the UR family as we start a new week.

• Pavel Datsyuk Jersey October 13, 2016, 11:24 am

Suggestion: Sometimes you could successfully combine two or more corresponding services in a freebie. Nevertheless curb your client’s decision in order to “Yes” or “No”. Can not include a choice to purchase any of the objects independently.