Single Sermon

A PREACHER FRIEND OF MINE is fond of reminding me that every preacher has only one sermon, and each spends a lifetime lifting up that message. When I was younger, I found that disspiriting, as if we are all frustrated little mice constantly circling the same maze, deluding ourselves that we are making progress.

But as I have grown older, the image has become oddly comforting. It hints that we are each given a core reality to carry and incarnate. It implies that we all have a message that we alone are destined to give to the world. If we do not, that word will simply not go out.

Suddenly the singleness of mind speaks to deep intentionality and discovery. Our job is to find our sermon and to speak it aloud. The whole concept rings of authenticity.

– Dee Dee Risher
The Soulmaking Room

From the Preface, page 13 in The Soulmaking Room by Dee Dee Risher. Copyright © 2016 by Dee Dee Risher. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What is your one sermon about? Share your thoughts.

Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes, and I will observe it to the end.
Psalm 119:33, NRSV

This Week: pray for those without a church home. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Valentine (February 14).

• Rusty February 15, 2017, 2:21 am

Trusting God.

• Jill February 15, 2017, 3:35 am

Seek justice, love kindness, walk humbly with My God.

Another day, another threat. It absolutely boggles my mind that the authorities are unable to trace these actions on social media. Today’s threat came via email. Kids know they can get away with it and their parents are keeping them home from school…so the kids keep winning. It is very discouraging.
    I am grateful for safety and don’t mean to take it lightly. But – the discouragement amongst staff members is really high…near a breaking point I fear. We are weary, very weary.

• Carol February 15, 2017, 5:37 am

First – thank you for prayers on my behalf. I didn’t just lose close friends and community but moved to another country. My sermon is on foregiveness. No idea how this came about. Jill, I pray that this wickedness would be shut down. That ways that accommodate this way would be terminated. That The Lord would strengthen the team…In Jesus’ Name. c

• Lou February 15, 2017, 6:40 am

Love God.
    Love one another.

Continued prayers for Jill and her school-
    Prayers and thanksgiving for Rusty and his medical procedure
    For Carol who is far away from those she loves.
    For Robert, Betsy, Connie, Andrea, Sarah, and many more who come to this place.

• Betsy February 15, 2017, 6:56 am

Trust in God and all will be made right.

Praying for a resolution to the mess at your school, Jill. Blessings fo healing for you, Rusty. Grateful for this time with all my UR prayer warriors this day.
    Amen

• robert moeller February 15, 2017, 7:06 am

Put God first is my sermon.

Prayers for those causing the threats at Jill’s school. May God’s wisdom come to them that they will appreciate and grasp the value of education. Prayers for Carol in a different country, may technology put her in touch with the Christian friends she misses so dearly. Prayers for Mary and her surgery. Prayers for pain relievers that don’t have negative side effects. God’s healing is what is needed most. Prayers for those without a church home.

Thankful for the comments that come during the day and help all of us stay focused on the One who keeps us from falling. Thankful for the resources to help others .The Lord be with you, and also with you comes the reply. Thank You, Lord.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling February 15, 2017, 8:02 am

To me, the one sermon should be do your best to glorify God.

• Connie February 15, 2017, 8:19 am

The title of my sermon would be “I love to tell the story”.
    Prayers for all.

• Gail Churchill February 15, 2017, 8:10 pm

God has brought me this far and He isn’t through with me yet!

• Gail Churchill February 15, 2017, 8:11 pm