Choosing to Be Healed

Read today’s scripture, John 5:1-9

DID I WANT to be healed? If anyone – including and especially Jesus – had asked me whether I wanted to be healed, I think my head would have exploded. I had prayed so desperately and so long for healing and peace that I was beginning to grow hoarse, weary of my own repetitive pleas for mercy.

At forty-four years of age, I had lived the majority of my life in fear. It took many forms: constant, almost obsessive-compulsive monitoring of locked doors and alarm systems; uncontrollable shaking when dealing with people who were unstable and prone to violent outbursts…; and a complete reluctance to advocate for myself when necessary. The most prominent form of fear in my life, however, was the night terrors that plagued me for more than twenty years. One moment I would be sleeping soundly, safely snuggled between my husband and our cat(s); the next I was leaping out of bed, screaming and thrashing violently.

These disturbances were always precipitated by visions that shared one of these three themes: a spider, ghost, or monster was descending upon me; I was being buried or locked in complete, suffocating darkness; or – most commonly – I had been offered a choice, had chosen wrongly, and was therefore facing sudden death. All resulted in sheer terror. All left my husband, our cats, and me feeling bewildered and groggy the following day. …

Did I want to be healed? Seriously?

– Kristen E. Vincent
Beads of Healing

From pages 20-21 of Beads of Healing: Prayer, Trauma, and Spiritual Wholeness by Kristen E. Vincent. Copyright © 2016 by Kristen E. Vincent. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What fears keep you from trusting God? Share your thoughts.

After this there was a festival of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

Now in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate there is a pool, called in Hebrew[a] Bethzatha,which has five porticoes. In these lay many invalids—blind, lame, and paralyzed. One man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be made well?” The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; and while I am making my way, someone else steps down ahead of me.” Jesus said to him, “Stand up, take your mat and walk.” At once the man was made well, and he took up his mat and began to walk.

Now that day was a sabbath.
John 5:1-9, NRSV

This Week: pray for those without a church home. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Valentine (February 14).

• Jill February 16, 2017, 3:29 am

I don’t believe I have any fears that keep me from trusting My Father. My struggles are more self borne…inability to keep distractions at bay, not keeping my eyes on Him, slipping into auto-pilot mode.
    So very encouraged this morning to NOT have an email from our principal – regarding a threat. And then that was coupled by my email from gratefulness.org – the thought of the day – “Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.” Yes. Amen and amen.
    While I have not commented on the many concerns shared here this week – I have carried them with me and been praying…for moves to another country and missing close relationships, for medical procedures, for pain management and others.

• robert moeller February 16, 2017, 4:20 am

I don’t think I have fears that keep me from trusting God, but there are distractions, often very unimportant ones, that ease me away from putting God first. Thankful for reminders like today’s reflection that help me get back on the straight and narrow. God has seen me through the last 20 years and I am grateful.

Very hopefully men’s communion breakfast and church Sunday will recharge me. I am lacking when I miss church on Sunday.

Thankful for the prayers from UR members, for steps of progress in many areas, for messages from my children, for good meals, and the opportunities to work for justice. Your concerns are in my prayers and thoughts. I wish you peace from the Lord. Thankful that there is no threat at Jill’s school this morning. Thank You, Lord.

• Carol February 16, 2017, 6:07 am

Thank u for prayers. I know I’m on a slippery slope right now. Fears/healing – I’ve just had one. Neck injury years ago. Had a chiropractor that helped and when we moved country, the chiropractor didn’t seem to ease problem. Got worse so I couldn’t lift head or turn it without awful pain. Been listening to someone on tbn talking about the spirit of this or that. Switched off tv and walked to bedroom. A voice said spirit of infirmity. Immediately I spoke against it. Afterwards I was given 3 things. You will be tempted to be deceived! God does not impute our sins against us. Just believe. I stood my ground in Christ and my neck is free, even shoulder that was impacted. We need to ask, receive with thanksgiving and stand no matter how we feel or think. Hope this encourages. c

• robert moeller February 16, 2017, 9:08 am

Powerful and helpful witness and testimony Carol. Thank you. Very thankful that your received healing!

• Rusty February 16, 2017, 6:23 am

Thanks to all who have supported me with prayer and well wishes over the past couple of days! My surgeon was terrific and the hospital staff just excellent and caring. All is very good. And – time will tell, but I think the problem was fixed! Praise God!

Man, what a reading today. I’ll have to keep it and refer back to it periodically. It reflects a lot of what I think affects several people very close to me.

Lord thank you for your many blessings. Grateful no threat at Jill’s school today. Please comfort Carol and let her know we’re pulling for her.

• robert moeller February 16, 2017, 9:10 am

Thankful for your successful treatment Rusty. Trust in God comes first and good health is close behind.

• Gail Churchill February 16, 2017, 7:04 am

Thankful for my health and yours and all your comments.

• Betsy February 16, 2017, 7:21 am

So glad to hear praises today!
    Jill, thankful calm has entered your school/staff. May it continue. I like the quote you shared today. Have written it in my journal to refer to.
    Rusty, glad your procedure went well. Praying for continued healing for you and for you, Carol.
    Fear can take many forms. I see it in my life as inaction. Help me to overcome that, Father.

• Pam February 16, 2017, 9:14 am

Amen in Agreement!!

• Sara February 16, 2017, 9:18 am

Fear for me if I allow it to continue is the future. Those fears can come when I see friends with illness, losing a spouse, making decisions about moving to a retirement center and ones own health. I have learned to plan what’s necessary and trust God for the remainder. Also, reminders of how God was with me in the past.

Prayers for each respondent today and may we all feel God leading us in our lives one day at a time.

Prayers for those seeking a home church.