Have I Loved Well?

JOHN MOGABGAB, a Christian writer, has come to see that success in this world will boil down to a single, simple, and disturbingly profound question: Have I loved well? Truly loving well means different things to different people, but it always involves an element of sacrifice. the Cross reminds us of the sacrifice Jesus made by giving his life for those whom God loved so much.

Take a few moments to ask yourself the following questions. Answer each one as if you see Jesus sitting beside you. Next, ask Jesus to speak to you about your responses.

• How has God’s sacrificial love affected my life?

• Does God see me as one who loves well?

• How may I have failed to love God or others sacrificially?

• How is God calling me to a sacrificial love right now?

– Gerrie L. Grimsley and Jane J. Young
Contemplative by Design

From page 75 of Contemplative by Design: Creating Quiet Spaces for Retreats, Workshops, Churches, and Personal Settings by Gerrie L. Grimsley and Jane J. Young. Copyright © 2008 by Gerrie L. Grimsley and Jane J. Young. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Spend time with the questions above. What answers come to mind? Share your thoughts.

32:7 You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance. Selah

Psalm 32:7, NRSV

This Week: pray to discern God’s call. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: David of Wales (March 1).

• Rusty March 1, 2017, 6:05 am

I pray that I have loved well. Especially toward my wife. I often think of the verse where Jesus tells the disciples to “love one another as I have loved you.” (John 15:12) I have always interpreted this as loving sacrificially – and this has been a frequent topic of discussion among my early Friday morning men’s Bible study. Loving our wives and families sacrificially. Lord, please guide each one of us to love well, to love sacrificially and to submit each to one another in reverence to you (Eph. 5:21).

• Gail Churchill March 1, 2017, 6:35 am

I would love to hear what the members of Rusty’s group say. My husband and I have been going to an 8 wk study of leadership (using the parable of the sower). This is the first study we have participated in together. How we treat others is my/our witness. Also, how I treat my spouse (and vice versa) is my witness. How do my adult sons regard God and faith, in light of my relationship with my spouse.

We went to a healing service Sunday night, my husband to seek healing from grief after the untimely death of his son last July. I “stood in” for my youngest son. Alot is happening. I pray for us all and you here at UR. Today is Ash Wednesday.

• Connie March 1, 2017, 8:17 am

Gail, may your husband find some healing for his grief. Loss of a child cuts deep into your heart.

• Rusty March 1, 2017, 12:58 pm

Bless you, Gail, for standing in. Peace be with you and your husband. May you find some comfort.

I like what you said about witness. The men’s discussions are deep, caring and eye opening. Everyone learns from one another. Would love to have you be a fly on the wall when they’re going on. Let’s plan on talking about that one day – if not in this life, certainly in the next. Blessings, my friend!

• Gail March 2, 2017, 6:45 am

Thank you for your comments.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 1, 2017, 7:40 am

Yes, I’m learning to love well which means live sacrificially as Christ has taught us by laying down his life for us. Recently, I’m also teaching my students to sacrifice the space in the hall where they played Badminton. I told them that if other classes are coming to the hall, they must decrease the space and sacrifice their Badminton rackets so others get a chance to play. At first, it wasn’t easy but I reward them with 10 000 points each time they do that and by March, they happily sacrifice for others. Thanks to God for enabling my students to learn to give up their pleasure for others to enjoy.

• Connie March 1, 2017, 8:14 am

As we begin our Lenten journey, Lord help us to be even more loving than we are today.

• robert moeller March 2, 2017, 3:00 am

Thankful for a safe trip to see my son, made progress in some areas, he’s still entrenched in disbelief. Home today after a few small tasks.

Today’s reflection certainly requires some time for me to reply. I think I do love sacrificially, but want to think about it. Hopefully a post later today or early tomorrow.

Prayers for Gail’s husband remembering the passing of his son, for Gail
    comforting him, for all who come to the UR, for Anneliese with a lot to deal with, for Erich looking for both a job and a place to live, and for anyone who is trying to discern God’s calling. Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love. Thank You,Lord.

• Gail Churchill March 2, 2017, 6:53 am

Our children as adults are a handful. Sometimes we can only pray. My grandmother used to send me literature. This was embarrassing to me. This was years ago. She was big on Billy Graham. She would be a follower of Franklin Graham today. There is nothing new under the sun.
      Except God’s mercies, which are new every morning. Robert, your kids are watching you and I believe they will be okay. I am one to talk. I have 2 adult kids.