Lenten Invitation

LENT SERVES AS OUR ANNUAL INVITATION to come closer to God. It provides a time to look at our lives and ourselves, not so that we may criticize ourselves more harshly but so we can identify the obstructions that keep us from God.

What keeps us from feeling the presence of the divine in our every day? How do we hide from God, and why?

Lent gives us a chance to look at such obstructions and to move them gently away so that we can come closer to the Love that gives us life, the Love whose triumph we will celebrate on Easter morning.

– Sarah Parsons
A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent

From page 8 of A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent by Sarah Parsons. Copyright © 2005 by Sarah Parsons. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How are you answering the Lenten invitation this season? Share your thoughts.

Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

Psalm 32:11, NRSV

This Week: pray to discern God’s call. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: David of Wales (March 1).

• Rusty March 2, 2017, 5:49 am

Reading and pondering Psalm 51 every day (“against you [Lord], only, have I sinned”, “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow” – things like that). Also reading daily devotions written by parishioners at my church. We have done this now for Lent two years and we also wrote devotions last Advent. Very helpful.

• Rusty March 2, 2017, 5:54 am

Prayers, Robert, for you, Anneliese and Erich. Sounds like you have a lot on your prayer plate right now. May God comfort you and give you assurance. Please know we’re standing with you, friend.

• Gail Churchill March 2, 2017, 7:01 am

A friend at church said she was giving up Facebook, at the urging of her son. Her 10 year old son is giving up snacks. He said he could do it 40 days. Is that a new habit?

What obstructs me from God? I am wondering.

Perhaps there is a need to be present in the moment…listen to others and hear…May God bless you all today.

• Connie March 2, 2017, 7:42 am

It occurred to me that sometimes my devotions and focus on them is put on the “back burner”, so to speak, as there are many things occupying my thoughts these days. Things of God should be on the “front burner”, bubbling away!
    Yesterday a personal prayer was answered in such a way that there was no doubt of God’s hand in it. Thank you, Lord for your help and your loving kindness toward me, a sinner.

• Claudia March 2, 2017, 7:59 am

Clutter, in many forms, obstructs my connection to my Higher Power. Worry, obsessive thoughts about relationships, negative self-talk, being too busy, excessive iPhone use, and accumulation of things I don’t need are all forms my clutter takes.
    For Lent, I’ve decided to do what I did last year: choose 1 object per day that I don’t need and set it aside for donation. It could be more, but at least 1 per day. By Easter I’ll have cleared my house of 40+ things. A concrete tangible way of orienting myself towards decluttering in other ways mentioned above, and setting me more on track with connecting with my God.
    Blessings to all.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling March 3, 2017, 6:24 pm

Prayers for Anneliese’ speedy recovery from her cold.

For Lent, I’m giving away books I bought and have read and also part of my notebook collection.

Blessings to all!

• robert moeller March 3, 2017, 12:53 am

Thank you Rusty for your prayers, hopeful as always that solutions will be found. Had a positive visit with Erich, home now and made progress on the work being done in the bathroom. Anneliese has a cold.

Thankful that God is always there and that prayers will be answered in the best way. Hopeful to find a Lenten activity that helps me move forward in my spiritual journey.

May we all find and sustain God’s calling. With God’s grace, guidance, and love, we will. Thank You, Lord.

• robert moeller March 4, 2017, 5:43 am

Thank you Rusty and Mary, prayers are powerful and most appreciated. We are all helped by them.