Jesus the Messiah

C. S. LEWIS had no patiences with those who call Jesus a “teacher,” who say they do not believe Jesus was God among us, but that he was kind of like Socrates – a sage, a wisdom person. …

In Mere Christianity, Lewis says either Jesus is who he says he is, or he is a lunatic. If Jesus believes he is the Messiah and is not, then he’s insane – much like the guy in the straitjacket who thinks he’s Napoleon – and we had better not trust a thing he says. If, however, he is the Son of God, the Messiah, we had best pay attention to what he says and right now, hard as it can be.

It is Jesus’ identity that gives his teaching credibility, Lewis said, and not the other way around. Only if his teaching has divine, which is to say eternal, grounding and authority does the teaching make any sense. The world as it is, warring and acquisitive, neither recognizes nor rewards such aphorisms as “The meek shall inherit the earth,” or “The more you give away, the more you have.” Cross-bearing is quite the opposite of cross-burning, and sacrificial love quite the contrary of preemptive acts of self-preservation. And yet that is what Jesus calls us to: selflessness, sacrifice, deference.

– Thomas R. Steagald
Shadows, Darkness, and Dawn

From pages 55-56 of Shadows, Darkness, and Dawn: A Lenten Journey with Jesus by Thomas R. Steagald. Copyright © 2010 by Thomas R. Steagald. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What does it mean to you to say that Jesus is the Messiah? Share your thoughts.

I will be standing there in front of you on the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it, so that the people may drink.” Moses did so, in the sight of the elders of Israel.

Exodus 17:6, NRSV

This Week: pray for Sunday school teachers. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Patrick of Ireland (March 17).

• Jill March 13, 2017, 3:33 am

To say that Jesus is the Messiah – is to say that Jesus is THE Son of God, chosen by His Father to come into the world to be the Saviour. He was pre-destined to take on human form, to walk amongst us and to pay the ultimate price for sin, by His Sacrifice. Hallelujah, what a Saviour!
    So grateful to be a child of The King.

• robert moeller March 13, 2017, 5:10 am

I am reminded of the scripture where Jesus asks, “Who do you say I am?”
    I think it is Peter who answers, “You are the Messiah.” Yes, Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ, the Lamb of God, the Redeemer, Savior, Prince of Peace, and the King.

For me Jesus is the Son of Man and Son of God, incarnate human and divine, sent by God, as a gift, to save humankind from their separation from God, errors, and imperfections. Jesus took the sins of the world, paid for them with His blood, and overcame death, the power of sin, to give life eternal to all who believe in Him. Thank You, Lord! May the sound of Your name bring every human heart to its knees in thanksgiving.

Thankful for a pleasant day, a birthday meal, time with family and a friend, and more progress with the work in the basement.

Preyers for Sunday School Teachers, may they have students to teach.
    Prayers for my son and daughter. Thank You, Lord.

• Rusty March 13, 2017, 6:54 am

To me, the fact that Jesus is the Messiah foretold in scripture means that because the part it true, the rest of God’s plan for our salvation is true. Jesus’s return, the tribulation, resurrection, the sheep and the goats, all of it. And ultimately glory for those who are in Christ and have given their lives to him. C.S. Lewis is right. You can’t have part of it without having all of it. We must believe all of it, as Jesus and the apostles taught it, and surrender ourselves accordingly. Only in that way (His way) will we have eternal life.

• Betsy March 13, 2017, 6:58 am

Jesus is the son of the Most High, the Savior sent to earth to redeem us and to save us. He took on human form and walked among his earliest believers, teaching them to witness. He ascended and sent to us the Holy Spirit to dwell in us until His coming again. This knowledge fills me with love and Thanksgiving. How sweet to know Him!
    Thankful to be back home after a visit with our children to celebrate
    birthdays. It is snowing lightly here; quietly the sun is rising. Thank you, Lord, for your presence this day. I lift up our Sunday School teacher, Kristi, as she brings us your message each week. Bless all those who teach and guide us in your Word. Amen

• Shannon March 13, 2017, 8:52 am

Jesus is the Only One who can save me (and you) in this life on earth and through life eternal.

• Carol March 13, 2017, 11:45 am

Jesus said: I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me!

• Dee March 13, 2017, 6:17 pm

Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the One who was, who is and who will come again! Alleluia! Even so, Come Lord Jesus. Amen!

• Andrea March 13, 2017, 8:44 pm

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
    Christ behind me, Christ before me,
    Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
    Christ to comfort and restore me.
    Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
    Christ in hearts of all that love me,
    Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

(Attributed to St. Patrick)