Easter Forgiveness

“I AM with you always. Breathe my breath. Lean your full heavy heart on my strength in this dark place. Let me pray in you, for you, and through you.”

Forgiveness is a person. Forgiveness has a face. Forgiveness itself is holding me now.

– Flora Slosson Wuellner
Forgiveness, the Passionate Journey

From page 155 of Forgiveness, the Passionate Journey by Flora Slosson Wuellner. Copyright © 2001 by Flora Slosson Wuellner. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Why pray about forgiveness the day after Easter? Share your thoughts.

“But God raised him up, having freed him from death, because it was impossible for him to be held in its power.”

Acts 2:24, NRSV

This Week: pray for people those struggling with addictions. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Anselm (April 21).

• robert moeller April 17, 2017, 4:24 am

While forgiveness is for me an unexpected, even surprising topic the day after Easter, nothing surprises God who knows what will happen before it happens.
    A little thought and I go back to Good Friday when Jesus says from the cross, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.” Jesus is interceding for us as his human life passes away. Do we need forgiveness? When don’t we need it? It’s in the Lord’s Prayer, it is so important. Thank You, Lord for forgiving us and making forgiveness a task that we also must accomplish.

Thankful for a wonderful Easter service, fellowship hour, and day. Easter is the holiest of days. Thankfully we celebrate it longer than any other. Christ is alive and with us. Thank You, Lord.

Prayers and help for those struggling with addictions. Grateful that more is being done to help people overcome this deadly problem.

May you all be blessed in this time of Easter.

• Andrea April 17, 2017, 12:53 pm

Robert, your comment is very helpful, the questions you express, your thoughts, and the reminder that forgiveness is in the Lord’s Prayer, something we must endeavor to accomplish.

• Carol April 17, 2017, 5:35 am

Foregiveness after Easter? To remember what horror our Lord went through for us in order to set us free and join us back again to the Father! After Easter? To remember to forgive ourselves is paramount. We have fallen short of the glory of God BUT Jesus didn’t and now we are in Him. He accomplished all that we couldn’t do. He is our righteousness!

• Rusty April 17, 2017, 5:43 am

Why? For me, gratitude. I have been forgiven and now it is for me to forgive.

• Jill April 17, 2017, 5:59 am

The absolute forgiveness of our sins – completed at the Cross. Thank You, Father for Your Son’s Sacrifice.
    Grateful for a wonderful time with family yesterday – the weather held for the little kids to get in their Easter egg hunt. Good fellowship with family. After everyone had left and I was helping mom and dad clean up – I expressed to my mom how grateful I was that she was able to host and did such a nice job. It is difficult to have “sincere words” with my mom. But I felt that she heard me, and didn’t just brush them aside.
    On Friday, she and dad had went to their friends’ house – the wife is now a “shut-in”…never leaves the house. But – several friends came over – and they had a hymn sing together. Mom just says – she is so pitiful. Mom continues to struggle a lot with the loss of her friends to death, and many are succumbing to illnesses. This Saturday we will celebrate my mom’s 81st birthday – and I just told her yesterday that she had done a wonderful job hosting Easter Sunday and I am just so grateful for how she has rebounded from her difficulties at the end of last year – was able to travel to Florida and to host this family gathering. And – so much a part of that is my dad – his positivity – and no doubt -huge helping hand with preparations this weekend. I heard him comment to his great grandson yesterday that he is celebrating the 10th anniversary of his 73rd birthday. Way to go dad – keep thinking positive, keep supporting mom and keep living and loving life!!!

• Julie April 17, 2017, 7:44 am

Jill, what a wonderful sentiment and life philosophy
    Forgiveness after Easter bcause as a mere human I am constnatly at risk of sin. I need constant forgiveness and justification. I also need to emulate Jesus nd forgive those who have in whatever way sinned against me. Would that I had the forgiveness capacity of our Lord

• Andrea April 17, 2017, 12:37 pm

I am thankful for a lovely spring day on Easter with my daughter, son-in-law and 2 year old grandson. It was sunny sweater weather and we went to a park with a big sandlot, perfect for playing with a toy back-hoe and dump truck.

There was to be a gathering on Saturday with my siblings and others, and it was cancelled, for the second time. I was relieved.

I am struggling with a lack of motivation to get anything done. I do not feel depressed or anxious, I just feel very stuck. I read a lot and spend time in my sewing room, but I am unproductive, and the house clutter just looks at me. I spend too much time looking at my IPad, to the point where it seems to be an addiction. I like today’s reflection. Flora Sloss Wuellner’ prayers always touch me.

I pray for all who struggle with addictions of any kind, for strength, support and healing. It is One Day at a Time. I pray all will know the presence of Jesus walking right beside us every moment. I wish all a blessed week ahead.

• Rusty April 17, 2017, 8:44 pm

Andrea, thanks for letting us know about your sibling gathering. I’d been wondering if this time it happened. When it does, eventually, I pray for peace. I sometimes get stuck too, as you describe. Here’s something maybe to try. When you realize it’s happening, try praying for God to guide your next step. At that moment you may be especially tuned in to hearing him. If you notice something, maybe it’s something from him to attend to.

• Andrea April 17, 2017, 9:16 pm

Thank you, Rusty, I appreciate your feedback very much. I will pray to hear God’s guidance moment by moment – this needs to be a case of praying without ceasing. I understand those words of the Apostle Paul.