Grounded in Grace

HISTORY IS FAR TOO HARSH for faith lightly held. History is far too real for faith to rest content in blissful denial. Faith requires more than naiveté. …

Our hope resides in a covenant grounded in God’s grace. God’s promises serve not as escape pods from history but as the means for living faithfully within it. … We do not trust in the times but in God who is our hope.

– John Indermark
Hope: Our Longing for Home

From page 25 of Hope: Our Longing for Home by John Indermark. Copyright © 2007 by John Indermark. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What does it mean to say we do not trust in the times? Think of examples. Share your thoughts.

Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.

Psalm 16:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for people those struggling with addictions. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Anselm (April 21).

• robert moeller April 18, 2017, 4:29 am

Thankful for help in resolving a problem I have. While the problem is not yet solved, there is progress and a plan. Thankful for conversations and emails yesterday.

Today’s reflection is a very tough one for me. Not sure what the “times” are.
    Do think I trust in God. In recent years God has helped me through a number of situations. Turning to God in all situations is essential There is no one else more capable and faithful.

Yes, I pray for those who are addicted and those facing addiction. The problems facing us today are immense and substances that cause addiction are often seen as respite. Sadly, they provide no solution and cause more problems. Lord, You are needed more than ever, but Your creation turns away more and more. Still in You, I hope. Thank You, Lord.

• Jill April 18, 2017, 5:45 am

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ love and righteousness…this came quickly to mind. Thank God – our hope is in Him and not on these times, these circumstances in which we find ourselves. Yes, we must exist and adapt and survive/thrive(?) in the world in which we live – as we cling to Our Saviour and resist the evil one.
    Grateful that my doctor called in a second anti-biotic for me yesterday, that I didn’t have to visit his office. I thought I had this infection licked, but it doubled back on me. Luckily I am on spring break from school – so at least I don’t have to miss any days there. Hopefully this anti-biotic will knock it out for good.
    Andrea – glad you didn’t have to face an uncomfortable situation with your family members. Sounds like the time with your daughter, son-in-law and grandchild was just right. Will be praying for your “stickiness”. Rusty’s advice seems spot-on.

• Betsy April 18, 2017, 7:05 am

That same hymn also came to my mind, Jill. “In Christ the solid rock I stand, all else is sinking sand.” God’s promises are our hope. These tims in our world are scary, but God is the rock that I cling to.
    Praying for those in the grip of addiction. My husband’s co-worker is struggling right now with a relapse. It is a battle he always fights, but he loves and trusts in God’s grace.
    Grateful for a long phone visit with a friend from home last evening. She recently lost her father to Alzheimer’s. It was good to be able to remember all the good memories of her dad. Blessings to all UR visitors today.

• Julie April 18, 2017, 7:49 am

Each time in human history has presented unique challnges and situations. Through all times Christians have had to remain steadfast in their faith and keep the Lord’s teachings uppermost in their hearts.
    I am reminded of th Amish who stive to live IN the world but not OF the world
    Perhaps we could adopt some of this philosophy – we need not get caugght up in goings on of the world that may be detrimental to our spiritual health – such as all of substances and activities to which many are addicted

• Connie April 18, 2017, 9:08 am

Yes, “all other ground is sinking sand”…….and all other “times” come and go as they always have throughout the ages.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling April 22, 2017, 5:26 am

Thank you God for your amazing grace!