Worship Moments

MOMENTS OF SACRED discernment and mystical clarity come in just that way: moments. The recognition of holy presence in morsels of bread and sips of wine or juice are fleeting because they set us back on the road nourished with the news and hope of resurrection, however hidden that news or distant that hope may seem at this juncture. Worship is not our permanent domicile; it is our departure gate.

– John Indermark
Worship in Light of the Cross

From page 108 of Worship in Light of the Cross: Meditations for Lent by John Indermark. Copyright © 2016 by John Indermark. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Describe a time when you have been “sent forth” from worship? Share your thoughts.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:3-5, NRSV

This Week: pray for people those struggling with addictions. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Anselm (April 21).

• Jill April 20, 2017, 5:43 am

One recollection that I have of being “sent forth” was after a sermon on giving generously from II Corinthians 8. I was moved by the Holy Spirit to give of my time – generously. Time was a commodity that I held ever so tightly. I recall walking out of the sanctuary knowing that I would follow through with this. I walked a little lighter, a little brisker – having known that this would be put into action.
    Grateful to meet with a friend last evening for a treat at Panera and good conversation. Grateful to feel a bit stronger this morning. Still not ready for a morning run – maybe tomorrow. Grateful – Vicki – that you posted yesterday. Thankfully – God isn’t finished with any of us yet…we still walk this earth – and await our calling to our final destination with Him.

• Rusty April 20, 2017, 6:38 am

Hope you continue to get getter rapidly, Jill. Spring bugs are the worst. We’re pulling for you!

• WILLIAM HARTIG April 21, 2017, 6:01 am

Anyone not getting the daily emails besides me?

• Rusty April 20, 2017, 6:36 am

Yes! Vicki, glad you’re here and happy to meet you!

Being sent forth. That’s actually one of my favorite parts of our Sunday service. We have a wonderful, rock solid Christian woman who serves as our deacon who sends us out each week with one of three charges: “Let us go forth in the name of Christ”, “Go in peace to love and serve the world”, or “Let us go forth into the world, rejoicing in the power of the Spirit.” I love them all. We are given the job to carry worship and the Gospel beyond the four walls of the church and to really live out Christian ideals and practice as we make our way in life. In our liturgy, the response is “Thanks be to God!” I enjoy hearing the responses. Some, admittedly, just intone the response without thinking much and head for coffee, but in the amalgam of voices it’s easy to pick out people who really are inspired to go out and do God’s work. It truly reminds many of us that wrapping up our church worship is not the end of an hour and a half – it’s the beginning of the entire week of serving God.

• Betsy April 20, 2017, 7:20 am

Thank you for reminding us, Ricky, of the many prayers for dismissal. Our pastors have also used those in the final blessing. One pastor used to preface his blessing at the benediction with the words, “heads up, eyes open!” As if to say, hear these instructions with your whole being. I like that. God calls us to take His message out into the world.
    Jill, I like your story about how you were called to give of yourself. This was truly God’s message to you, and you have blessed the women you serve faithfully and cheerfully. Hope you continue to feel stronger and can enjoy the weather outdoors while you are on your break.
    So glad to welcome a new post-er here, Vicki! We are all transformed by God’s grace. May you be enriched and blessed by His Word.

• Gail April 20, 2017, 8:09 am

Experienced a “moment” this morning when I was called to this site and read the posts from yesterday and today. Robert, you have been such a supporter here and I pray that your family issues are resolved. Adult children are indeed a source of heartache. I am encouraged…even people at an older age can hear the wise counsel of others and take it to heart. Even older people can “grow” in difficult circumstances. And Eric is on my prayer list along with my two. Correction. Three.
    A wise woman approached me at church last week and offered some counsel. We have both experienced loss and grief in our families.
    Thankfully I tried what she suggested. I am happy to report that my own situation is turning around and I attribute it to her words and my resulting action. God works in mysterious ways. “You show me the path of life.” To God be the glory. Thank you for the physical and emotional healing evident in the writings here (Robert, Jill, Lou, and others). Joy comes in the morning.

• Andrea April 20, 2017, 7:32 pm

Welcome, Vicki.

I have had two productive days. Thank you and I ask for your continuing prayers.

Please pray for my friend Francis. He was recently the recipient of a rageful verbal tirade lasting 15 minutes by someone with whom he has been working to set up a program at a church. He was quite shaken, to the point of noticeable physical trembling. He is older and has a cardiac condition. He is the chair of an organization on which I serve as a board member, and he is the most kind, diplomatic, cheerful person. I pray for his support, and I pray for the person who verbally accosted him so uncontrollably. I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of rage and become shaky from the intensity of emotionally absorbing it.

With prayers for UR friends and all who visit UR. Praying too for those with addictions. May all with addictions be strengthened by God to overcome the temptation of giving into whatever kind of addiction one endeavors to overcome.