Be Still

IN THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT, Jesus taught his disciples to “go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret.” Fortunately, I live in a community where I am only a few steps from our chapel; I can go there and pray. In my small apartment, I have created a “cell” marked by mementos of pilgrimages to Tintern Abbey in Wales and the island of Iona. Prayer and spiritual books put me in touch with monks and mystics who show the way, who have walked the hard road that leads to life.

I also know that I can “pray without ceasing” and realize God’s presence wherever i am without being lost in my illusions. By entering the narrow gate of a disciplined life of prayer, I discover the true meaning of life in the later years.

Reflection

Go to a quiet place and spend 15 minutes in prayer, as you meditate on these words:
Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know
Be still
Be

– Jane Marie Thibault and Richard L. Morgan
Pilgrimage into the Last Third of Life

From page 87 of Pilgrimage into the Last Third of Life: 7 Gateways to Spiritual Growth by Jane Marie Thibault and Richard L. Morgan. Copyright © 2012 by Jane Marie Thibault and Richard L. Morgan. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Follow the steps outlined in the reflection, above. Share your thoughts.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:3-5, NRSV

This Week: pray for people those struggling with addictions. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Anselm (April 21).

• Andrea April 21, 2017, 6:30 am

Yes, a disciplined life of prayer is so grounding.

I pray again for my friend, Francis, a kind, generous older man with a heart condition – and a heart of gold. He was very shaken after being verbally assaulted with rage, for 15 minutes, by someone from a church that he works with through another organization.

Wishing all a blessed weekend. May you find uninterrupted quiet time to spend in prayer with the Holy One.

I am enjoying the sun rise, and the Son, on what looks like a beautiful day.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling April 22, 2017, 10:35 pm

Praying for your friend, Francis. May God heal and restore him!

• Jill April 21, 2017, 6:47 am

My spiritual director introduced me to praying that verse. I include a second line – “Be still and know that I AM”. For me – the inclusion of that is significant because of the times in the OT when God referred to Himself as I AM. I have the verse on the wall of the room that I sit in during my morning time. And, it is also visible from my tv room – where I spend most of my time. A friend help me put up the stenciled words…on the top row -“Be still and know” – then I have a picture from Glacier National Park of majestic mountains, and them mirrored in a lake. And a vertical picture beside it from Great Smoky Mountains National Park of a waterfall. Then, underneath those – “that I am God”. When I need to quiet my mind – my eyes and thoughts go to that wall. Father – thank You for being the great I AM, that You are my great I AM. Thank You that I know this…deep within. You are an ever present Help.
    Grateful for luxurious mornings – sleeping in – rising in the light, with birds chorusing. Grateful for such a warm spring break and being able to open up the house and watch my cat go from window to window.
    Andrea – I will be praying for Francis.

• robert moeller April 21, 2017, 7:08 am

Prayed the prayer this morning. It was very calming and I will save it and do it again. I think of I AM and Yahweh every time begin Quiet Time on Yahoo. Prayers for Francis, may his heart condition not suffer from that verbal abuse. Those with addiction will be helped with a fund raiser the end of April, Men’s Communion Breakfast will sell chicken dinners to raise the funds.
    Prayers for my son. Thankfully I will spend time with him this coming month helping in a way that I can. Only God knows how it will end, but I know my help will make it possible for him to resolve some issues that are definitely holding up progress in life. Thank you all for your prayers and concern.

Thankful that the yard and building clean up at our old house is just about done. It has been a long and tough job.

Blessings to all in this season of Easter, I think we often forget that Easter is the longest of the church seasons. It goes until Pentecost.

• Julie April 21, 2017, 7:55 am

I unfortunately am rarely still. I shall attempt to perform this meditation today
    very busy weekend ahead
    prayers for Robert and his situation and Francis with his heart and the harsh words

• robert moeller April 21, 2017, 9:09 am

Thank you, Julie. I will tell you that this prayer made me still. I was very glad of that and will do it again. God is everywhere, but in the stillness is where we find the Lord. It isn’t easy to calm down, but this prayer sets you on the right path. I was so calm, I fell asleep and woke up 45 minutes later, refreshed.
      Thank You, Lord.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling April 22, 2017, 4:16 am

Recently I lost my bank passbook. Instead of panicking, i prayed and i found it.

Indeed, praying keeps us calm and it is a joy when one finds what one lost.

May God grant us the joy of praying!

• robert moeller April 23, 2017, 4:58 am

God blesses those who stand up for Jesus and are persecuted for His name. Prayers for Francis and the man who verbally abused him. Jesus asks us to pray for those who harm us. He forgave those who put him to death on the cross while He was dying.

Thankful Mary has a tablet. Hope it works well for you and provides the connection to the UR you would like.

Thankful for trash removal at our old house yesterday. Yard work is done. Hopefully today’s second showing will go well.

Preparations for my trip to help my son this week. I leave May 1st. Thank you all for your prayers, concern, and support. Erich is in a cloud of prayer.

Blessings!