Be Still

BEING STILL is scary; it involves surrender and vulnerability. When we’re still, we can’t control things—and that’s hard. It doesn’t come naturally, especially when what we’re trying to control is our heart’s pain. Odd thing is that when we finally surrender, we realize we were never in control in the first place.

I can promise you this: It’s gonna be okay. You will survive being still. Not only that, you will find God. One of my favorite scripture verses is Psalm 46:10, “Be still, and know that I am God.” When you are still, you will finally come to know God for who God is: a God of peace, healing, and comfort. That’s what I found when I finally embraced being still at The Academy. And though it’s been two years since I graduated from The Academy, I still have to practice being still every day. It’s an integral part of my life. I have found many ways to be quiet with God on a daily basis. I now crave and even enjoy being still, especially when life isn’t going so well. I trust that I can bring my pain and questions to God and know I will come away with clarity (sometimes), peace (most of the time), and a sense of God’s presence (all of the time).

Beads of Healing

From pages 30-31 of Beads of Healing: Prayer, Trauma, and Spiritual Wholeness by Kristen E. Vincent. Copyright © 2016 by Kristen E. Vincent. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Do you practice stillness or silence during your devotional time? Share your thoughts.

Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.

1 Peter 2:2-3, NRSV

This Week: pray for retirees. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Julian of Norwich (May 13).

• Jill May 10, 2017, 3:48 am

Stillness is a significant part of my time in the morning. And how I long for more of it, once school breaks for summer. I so enjoy Saturday mornings when I don’t have to be mindful of the clock.
    Grateful for time yesterday morning with the teacher who organizes our prayer time on Tuesday mornings. I was the first to arrive and we had about 10 minutes before anyone else arrived and we were talking about time in the morning, and where we were in The Word. It has been so nice to meet the other ladies and I am hoping this will continue into next year. Grateful for abundant sunshine these last few days. Still need a light jacket, but the warmth of the sun is wonderful.

• Gail Churchill May 10, 2017, 6:21 am

Yes. It’s always easier when my husband has risen early to go to an appointment in Atlanta, and I am the only one here (except for the cats).
    It’s also easier at this time of year…as the days grow longer, and we are on daylight savings time, and it seems that I wake up early. I have always like getting up early.

• Betsy May 10, 2017, 6:44 am

Stillness is something I only get early in the morning, before the rush of the day. Gail, I agree it is easier when my husband leaves early or is out of town. I don’t feel as if I have to be engaged in early morning conversation.
    Looking forward to warmer weather when I can spend my early morning time on my back porch. The stillness surrounded by the breeze, birds chirping and other nature sounds is soothing. I long for the peace that God’s presence brings.

• robert moeller May 10, 2017, 7:16 am

Not so long there was a devotion or a reflection that had this scripture and it has stuck with me. My Quiet Time is most often in the morning, but it is also possible before I go to sleep. It is very quiet here both in the morning and at night and that helps as there are fewer distractions. I have to work to stop my mind from jumping from one thought to another. It’s very hard to not think.

Thankful for another good interview yesterday, sunny weather this morning, walks on country rodes, and resources to keep me going. Very hopefully interviews will soon turn to offers and the tough time not knowing if a job is at hand will change to going to work.

Blessings to all of you, thank you for prayers, and concern. The Lord be with you.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling May 10, 2017, 7:42 am

It is good to be still and let God be in full control. Also, it is good to be still to reflect about the goodness of good.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling May 11, 2017, 12:15 am

I mean the goodness of God. Sorry for the typo error

• Julie May 10, 2017, 7:52 am

Robert, I too remember that reflection. The verse stuck with me also and I try to use it as a source of calm when my emotions threaten to get the better of me. Unfortunately, I do not need to worry about conversation with my husband as we do not speak to each other – ever. We co-exist and do not have any inteeraction at all within the same house.
    Robeert is the job for you or your son? Prayers for a good outcome either way.
    Thank you all for your insights and sharing

• Gail Churchill May 10, 2017, 8:13 pm

The same question occurred to me…a job for Eric?

• Cynthia Horton May 10, 2017, 7:55 am

I am extremely amazed at God’s sudden confirmation of my words to a friend.
    I had just sent her a thank you and shared my thoughts . Then I came to this website and there was the confirmation. Be still and know…
    God is greater than all of my thoughts and worries. I will pray in the Spirit and let go of the results.
    My daughter and fellow young adult missionaries on this day will be fine
    as they trust His perfect will for them.

He cares. He knows. He will see all of us through.
    Hallelujah! Amen.

• Andrea May 10, 2017, 12:29 pm

In intentional prayerful silence, all the flurry of too much thinking and too much worrying start to settle down.

Wishing all a blessed day.

• Ken Linscott May 10, 2017, 4:11 pm

Wow, you great people are up early, so thank you for the blessings. Hear in New Zealand it is 9.10 a.m. and I have just read through the lectionary readings aloud, slowly and thoughtfully of those who wrote these their reflections at their time. They came alive as people standing beside me.
    So thank you for your comments and sharing. Thanks too to Alive Now and no doubt Beth and Team. Now to the rest of my morning! Ken.