Light from Our Faces

THINK OF SOME INNER WOUND in your life that is now healed. Would you for any reason give up the new power to love and to understand that you have learned?

God does not send us pain. God is not a wounder or a punisher. This is important to understand as our trust in God grows. But neither does God let our wound be wasted.

The Comforter, the Holy Spirit, will not remove the lines of hard-won experience from our faces. A new power of light, the light of the divine passionate compassion, will shine through those lines on our faces.

– Flora Slosson Wuellner
Prayer, Stress, and Our Inner Wounds

From page 17 of Prayer, Stress, and Our Inner Wounds by Flora Slosson Wuellner. Copyright © 1985 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What have you learned through your time of pain? Share your thoughts.

Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

1 Peter 2:10, NRSV

This Week: pray for retirees. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Julian of Norwich (May 13).

• Jill May 12, 2017, 4:10 am

I know that I know that I know that He assuredly is with me – even when I cannot sense Him in the way that I desire. It is affirmed and re-affirmed that His ways, His timing – is very far from what I think it should be. Yet – I am eventually able to recognize that His ways and timing are beyond perfect – as He draws me closer to Him in the end.
    Father – thank You for not fitting in the box that I think I want You to be in. Forgive my short-sightedness. I know that You are molding me, continually – that You see the future and You are still holding my hand. Yes. Have Thine Own way…take my convoluted thoughts – they are yours. May my heart desires be solely aligned with Your Will.
    Father – I lift the concerns of this community to You…the health concerns, the family concerns, the job concerns, the heart hurting concerns. We hold them all before You, help us to trust in Your Sovereignty.
    Grateful for a rainy morning turning into a sunshine filled afternoon yesterday. I spent some time prepping my flower beds last evening. This weekend – my sister and I will take mom flower shopping for Mother’s Day – our little tradition. Anxious to pick out some flowers for myself as well. Grateful for mom’s continued good health – a blessing to see her looking forward to her flowers and having the energy to dig around in the dirt.

• robert moeller May 12, 2017, 4:48 am

I have learned that my unassertive nature has caused pain for my son. Ironically, it is he who is teaching me how to become assertive, confrontational in a positive, constructive way. Many people have identified my unassertive nature.

Thankful for a generally positive day yesterday. Helped my son get to an interview, a neighbor with garden work and boat repair, took a long walk, talked with my daughter, called and sent emails to Anneliese, and shopped for supper.

A wonderful post from Jill this morning in response to today’s reflection. Both help me a lot. It’s one of those mornings where I feel the writer and God had me in mind. The Lord knows that life is tough and is always there to help. Thank You, Lord.

Thankful for good news about Jill’s Mom. Gardening is very therapeutic.

Prayers for retirees. We still work.

• Betsy May 12, 2017, 7:00 am

Thank you for that wonderful prayer, Jill. I pray for all those families that struggle with health problems, financial issues and other things that can add stress on relationships. You are the true God and healer of all things. Bring inner peace.
    Robert, praying for your son as he works to find employment. You are truly His prayer warrior.

• Julie May 12, 2017, 7:48 am

This is a wonderful reflection and speaks to my heart.
    Prayers for all those who visit…for healing both physically, emotionally and spiritually, for financial issues, relationship concerns, family concerns, etc
    I pray for the spouses of those that retire – they too are enteriing a new stage of life

• Andrea May 12, 2017, 10:02 am

I have learned that God is our rock through all of life’s joys and sorrows. Trust in God’s care.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling May 12, 2017, 10:22 am

Through my time of pain, I’ve learnt that God is my healer and He helps me to endure the pain. God sustains me and is my source of strength.
    Praise God for being my all in all!

• billige løbebukser May 12, 2017, 4:42 pm

You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I feel I might never
    understand. It kind of feels too complex and very large
    for me. I am looking ahead for your subsequent publish, I’ll
    attempt to get the cling of it!
    billige løbebukser