God Does Not Give Up on Us

“DO NOT BE AFRAID,” just like “you are forgiven,” are needed companions throughout our lives. We strive to be faithful followers, to be strong and bold in vocation. But sometimes, strength wavers. Sometimes, boldness weakens or mutates into arrogance. By and large, those experiences come because of fear.

“Do not be afraid” can fade into the background all too quickly when tragedy or injustice or downright ignorance holds sway.

But God does not give up on us. God does not strip us of our calling in those times when we realize that even having nothing to fear but fear itself still leaves us with a considerable antagonist to face. Rather, God calls us out — out of sin, out of fear — and gives us the possibility of a new day.

– John Indermark
Do Not Live Afraid

From Do Not Live Afraid: Faith in a Fearful World by John Indermark. Copyright © 2009 by John Indermark. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

When are you afraid? Share your thoughts.

For it is better to suffer for doing good, if suffering should be God’s will, than to suffer for doing evil.

1 Peter 3:17, NRSV

This Week: pray for your enemies. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Isidore the Farmer (May 15).

• Jill May 19, 2017, 4:14 am

Fear, for me, is two part…first – someone dear to me is hurting deeply – either emotionally or physically – and I feel helpless to assist; and then second – that is followed by my mind roaming free, instead of focusing on God, His Will and His sovereignty. Satan is very clever and quickly pounces on my weak spot…my mind.
    Grateful for assistance from a colleague regarding some technological issues at school. Grateful to have time to get my car worked on after school and still have a bit of time at home for dinner and relaxation prior to tennis last evening. Grateful that today is the end of the school week – it has been a busy week in the evenings – and this weekend has opportunity for rest, relaxation and hopefully – some playing in the dirt with my flowers.

• robert moeller May 19, 2017, 6:26 am

I can be fearful when threatened, in a bad storm, or if I fall some distance.
    Thankfully, these situations have not occurred in some time. Some parts of the Bible tell us to “fear” meaning respect God while Jesus often says, “Do not be afraid.” I believe both are correct. Lord, I turn to You and You keep me. I can do no better than to trust in You.

Prayers for enemies without and within, around and about. Some we recognize and some we do not. Lord, I ask Your love be upon and within them that they are enemies no more.

Lord, guide the US through this crisis. It reminds us that we always
    need You. Blessings and thanks to the UR family. Prayers for you and yours, may God’s peace be with you.

A job interview today and possibly another one on the horizon.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling May 19, 2017, 7:34 am

Praise God for Enrich’s progress! May he get the best job that is most suitable for him!

• robert moeller May 19, 2017, 9:33 am

Thank you, Mary. It is what I pray for as well.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling May 19, 2017, 6:38 am

Thank you God for your patience and presence with us.

• Betsy May 19, 2017, 6:58 am

Fear of not having control of suffering and illness in myself and others. It’s hard to watch as a loved one goes through a serious illness. I have to lean on and trust God when I can do nothing else. Prayer is the only comfort sometimes.
    Thank you for your presence in dark times.

• Julie May 19, 2017, 7:54 am

I live in constant fear. This is a state of being that I have lived in since childhood.
    My present circumstancesat homeare always a cause for fear and more so recently.
    Prayers for the job search and praises that it seems to be going well finally.
    Blessings to all the UR family

• Andrea May 19, 2017, 9:52 am

I am praying for you, Julie.

• Andrea May 19, 2017, 10:13 am

I find that reciting my Lectio Divina passage when I am afraid or anxious aligns my mind with God. My major fears are for my loved ones’ health as well as for my own. God’s call, when it comes to fear, is to trust God in all things. Scripture reminds us of this over and over. I gather we are expected to need reminders.

God will strengthen and guide us through difficulty and fear. God will “keep us from all evil.” (Psalm 121.)

I am still battling bouts of coughing. It has improved a bit, i.e. the coughing isn’t painful, since starting an antibiotic several days ago.

Prayers for all who visit UR to read and pray. Special prayers for those who share prayers and concerns here, and prayers for your loved ones. God is good. Blessings to all.

• Lou May 19, 2017, 12:19 pm

I read somewhere that “do not be afraid” is mentioned in some way 365 times in the bible- once for every day of the year. I haven’t counted – and I don’t know the source – but it doesn’t matter- it reassures me. I am very fearful going through this process of life without my partner who was always there to rely on/consult/etc. it will take me awhile to adjust and I admit that I often pray desperately : “please help me Lord”. But I trust that “His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.”
    Prayers for those recovering from illness, searching for jobs, ending the school year, for those worrying about loved ones and those in constant fear. God IS good.