To Know God’s Will

PRAYING TO KNOW God’s will is a fundamental act of repentance. It is our way of saying to God, “I am willing to look at life from your point of view. I am willing to change my mind and heart and no longer look at life through the lens of my ego.”

That is where the formation of a discerning heart begins, where the gospel begins, where life (abundant and everlasting) begins. Discernment offers a powerful way to deny the lure of egotism and discover the life of God in our souls. It is simultaneously an act of defiance and an act of devotion. So, in the context of walking with a formed heart, we begin with repentance.

– Steve Harper
Walking in the Light

From page 39 of Walking in the Light: Knowing and Doing God’s Will by Steve Harper. Copyright © 2014 by Steve Harper. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

As you pray today, begin with a prayer of repentance. Share your thoughts.

“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit….”
Matthew 28:19, NRSV

This Week: pray for someone who is mourning. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Boniface (June 5).

• robert moeller June 10, 2017, 4:54 am

Today’s devotion and reflection seem to go hand in hand. The passage from Proverbs 3 – in all your ways acknowledge God – put God first – and your path will be made straight – goes well with repentance. We constantly need to repent, we’re human and like sheep tend to go astray. Thankfully we have a Shepherd who welcomes repentant hearts and guides us on our way. Thank You, Lord.

Prayers that Anneliese makes it to her pain management appointment and that there are positive results with the sale of either the house or the condo.
    May those in mourning find God’s peace. Thankful that my ankle is getting better, I can walk without crutches. Lettuce coming up in the garden. Health care is in place. Erich goes to work on Monday. Thank You, Lord.

Prayers for all of theUR family and your prayer requests. You are lifted up to
    the Lord. Many blessings now and always.

• Andrea June 10, 2017, 7:03 am

Thank you, Robert, for your comments today, and I’m glad your ankle is better. Thank you everyone for your prayers….after posting my prayer request a few days ago, I started to feel a lot better. I saw the doctor and am on a new medication.

Gracious God, show me your will today that I might endeavor to fulfill it.

Wishing all a blessed weekend and God’s peace.

• Darr Sigilman June 10, 2017, 7:17 am

I think that to know God’s will we first have to forget our own will. We have to move over as it were and let God do things His own way. Our will has to first be forgotten and His will has to be our only interest.

• Pam June 10, 2017, 9:14 am

Welcome, Darr! You will be Blessed!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling June 10, 2017, 7:40 am

Lotd, have your way in me!

Blessings to all!

• Julie June 10, 2017, 7:49 am

I agree Robert, regarding both the devotion and reflection and it is nice when the Upper Room authors are able to mesh the lessons. I have noticed and am amazed that with increasing age I am more aware of my lack of knowledge and insight and feel more need to lean on God and seek His wisdom and guidance. I am more humble and less prone to rely on my own intuition and thoughts.
    Blessings and prayersn for each and every member of our small but mighty community. Where one or two gather… I too feel that God is among us and listens Andrea and I also thank everyone for their prayers. I too am slowly healing and I am glad to hear of both Andrea’s and Robert’s improvements.

• robert moeller June 10, 2017, 8:59 am

So glad to be able to come back and read more posts. Thank You, Lord, for healing, uplifting, sustaining us. Help us keep focused on you.

Hopefully we’ll continue the Book of Hebrews Bible study tomorrow after church. While the target audience when it was written were Greek Jews, chapters 9 to the end are very relevant to Christians and may be the reason the book is in the Bible.

Prayers for good health, keeping close to God, and a blessed Sunday.

• Mary Hovis June 11, 2017, 9:59 pm

God almighty maker of heaven and Earth I come this moment in prayer of forgiveness and to repent my sins and ask you for your help. I pray Father God that you be with me I suffer from Bipolar depression major depression that keeps me mourning and left alone in deep frustration and pain. I have been diagnosed with Fibroid Cancer that the doctors cured.By taking the gallbladder out and removing the pilots from my colon and later on they did discovered a cyst. I stay in a lot of pain and even though I no one day that I’m going to die. I pray to St Peter St Mark and St Abigal to protect to guide me I Love the Word of the Upper Room and I pray every morning every evening to heal me to protect my Family and to be my guide my guardian my protector.

• robert moeller June 13, 2017, 9:40 am

Mary, glad to read your post. Thank you for sharing. God’s comfort comes when we share our concerns. Prayers of thanks that your cancer is gone, prayers of concern, healing for your Bipolar Depression. Yes, indeed, God is your guide, protector, healer among many other qualities.