Music to Move the Soul

WHAT MUSIC brings a lump to your throat or tears to your eyes? What melodies make you jump with joy? What cadences spark the natural rhythms of your body?

Anything that reminds you of the wonder of your own created self can trigger a prayer. Whether you are reacting in sadness or joy, the feelings testify to the humanness you share with all people. Music can calm, excite, enliven, and, yes, carry your prayers. So select the music that moves you. Hearing it with loving attention sings a song to your soul.

– Linda Douty
Praying in the Messiness of Life

From pages 55-56 of Praying in the Messiness of Life: 7 Ways to Renew Your Relationship with God by Linda Douty. Copyright © 2011 by Linda Douty. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What music sings to your soul?Share your thoughts.

I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my supplications.
Psalm 116:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for someone who is experiencing a new beginning. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Boniface (June 13).

• robert moeller June 13, 2017, 5:21 am

There’s a variety of music that speaks to my soul. From folk to hymns to classical music speaks in ways words can not and do not. I liken it to the Holy Spirit communicating with me. I’m more fond of the music than words, but of course hymns have a double message with lyrics and melody. From the time I first heard them in 1959 Scottish highland bagpipes and pipe bands really have an effect on me. Hymns have become more powerful, meaningful, stirring, and rooted in the last 20 years. The romantic period composers
    are always favorites. Very thankful that God made music possible.

Prayers for all experiencing a new beginning. That’s everyone, as every day is a new day and with it comes God’s new mercies.

Thankful that yesterday went well for Erich, hope that Anneliese’s treatment went well and the side effects are minimal. Thankful for follow up posts from Andrea and Julie. It is always a blessing when our posts receive attention from others. God’s love shines through. Prayers for each of you and your circumstances. Mary’s prayer that Erich have a job that fits him seems fulfilled.

Thankful the warmer weather has cooled off. Prayers that all of you come through this hot spell in good shape.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling June 13, 2017, 7:12 am

Praise God for answered prayers!

May God continue to bless you and your family abundantly, Robert!

Blessings to all!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling June 13, 2017, 6:39 am

“It is well with my soul” and the stories about why the hymn was written move my soul.

• Connie June 13, 2017, 9:13 am

Me, too, Mary.

• robert moeller June 13, 2017, 10:03 am

I echo Mary and Connie here.

• Andrea June 13, 2017, 10:32 am

It Is Well With My Soul is one of my favorites , too. I also love the old Swedish hymn, “Children of the Heavenly Father, Safely in his bosom gather, Nesting bird nor star in heaven, Such a refuge ere was given.”

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling June 14, 2017, 6:44 am

The story if how and the hymn, it is well with my soul, was written :

Horatio G. Spafford was a successful lawyer and businessman in Chicago with a lovely family — a wife, Anna, and five children. However, they were not strangers to tears and tragedy. Their young son died with pneumonia in 1871, and in that same year, much of their business was lost in the great Chicago fire. Yet, God in His mercy and kindness allowed the business to flourish once more.

On Nov. 21, 1873, the French ocean liner, Ville du Havre was crossing the Atlantic from the U.S. to Europe with 313 passengers on board. Among the passengers were Mrs. Spafford and their four daughters. Although Mr. Spafford had planned to go with his family, he found it necessary to stay in Chicago to help solve an unexpected business problem. He told his wife he would join her and their children in Europe a few days later. His plan was to take another ship.

About four days into the crossing of the Atlantic, the Ville du Harve collided with a powerful, iron-hulled Scottish ship, the Loch Earn. Suddenly, all of those on board were in grave danger. Anna hurriedly brought her four children to the deck. She knelt there with Annie, Margaret Lee, Bessie and Tanetta and prayed that God would spare them if that could be His will, or to make them willing to endure whatever awaited them. Within approximately 12 minutes, the Ville du Harve slipped beneath the dark waters of the Atlantic, carrying with it 226 of the passengers including the four Spafford children.

A sailor, rowing a small boat over the spot where the ship went down, spotted a woman floating on a piece of the wreckage. It was Anna, still alive. He pulled her into the boat and they were picked up by another large vessel which, nine days later, landed them in Cardiff, Wales. From there she wired her husband a message which began, “Saved alone, what shall I do?” Mr. Spafford later framed the telegram and placed it in his office.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling June 14, 2017, 6:48 am

Staff
        Advertise
        Contact Us
        Home

Posted October 16, 2014 11:50 pm – Updated January 27, 2017 11:52 am
        By Ph.D. Lindsay Terry
        Story behind the song: It is well with my soul

15 Comments
        6K Share

SEE ALSO

Stork delivery? Woman gives birth to baby at Nebraska zoo
        Story behind the song: ‘It is Well With my Soul’
        Another of the ship’s survivors, Pastor Weiss, later recalled Anna saying, “God gave me four daughters. Now they have been taken from me. Someday I will understand why.”

Mr. Spafford booked passage on the next available ship and left to join his grieving wife. With the ship about four days out, the captain called Spafford to his cabin and told him they were over the place where his children went down.

According to Bertha Spafford Vester, a daughter born after the tragedy, Spafford wrote “It Is Well With My Soul” while on this journey.

When peace like a river attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll,

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,

It is well, it is well with my soul.

Chorus:

It is well with my soul,

It is well, it is well with my soul

Anna gave birth to three more children, one of which died at age four with dreaded pneumonia. In August 1881, the Spaffords moved to Jerusalem. Mr. Spafford died and is buried in that city.

And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, shall keep your hearts, your minds through Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:7.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling June 14, 2017, 6:50 am

Sorry, i should edit before i post. A thousand apologies.

• Julie June 13, 2017, 7:48 am

I agree with everything you said about music Robert. All genres of music move and touch me in different and unique manners. Bagpipes reach deep into my soul and strick something tht no otther musiic or instrument ever could. Always brought to tears.
    This weeks prayer concern is tailor made for you and Erich, Robert. I pray that his contentment and oy remain over time.
    Blessings for all of our little UR community.

• Edythe Clemons June 13, 2017, 8:23 am

“I Exalt Thee, I Exalt Thee, I Exalt Thee, oh my Soul”A praise piece we at our church sing at the end of communion. It always brings tears, not sure if it is the Holy Spirit on not. I hope it is. The bagpipes also I enjoy, probably due to my Irish heritage. I enjoy music very much. At our home group bible study group I’m in charge of playing music from my playlists, helps to set the mood to allow the Holy Spirit to move in our group.

• Connie June 13, 2017, 9:11 am

“Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak” William Cosgreve
    I love many kinds of music….hymns, jazz, Country, music from all generations-40’s, 50’s, etc. Music is God-given.
    (could I get a little prayer…I pulled something in my rib area pulling myself up from a high step this morning…..ouch! Thanks)

• robert moeller June 13, 2017, 10:05 am

Yes, a prayer for your rib area after your activity this morning.

• Andrea June 13, 2017, 10:34 am

Ouch. Prayers that your rib soreness heals quickly, Connie.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling June 14, 2017, 6:37 am

Connie, keeping you in prayer. May you have a speedy recovery.

• Connie June 14, 2017, 8:00 am

Thanks, all. I can always count on you!

• robert moeller June 14, 2017, 8:21 am

Thankful for the story behind “It Is Well With My Soul”. Love that hymn too.
    Prayers Connie’s rib is better. No Reflection yet, will do a search and see if I can find it. Like this from today’s Devotional. “God doesn’t ignore our sins; God forgives us. And we can do the same — for ourselves and for others.” I do believe confessing them both to God and to others is also necessary.

Thankful for a beautiful day, the ability to do some needed food shopping, and pay bills.

Blessings to all.