Blessed to See

MAY GOD,
who comes to us
in the things of this world,
bless your eyes

and sharpen your vision.

May the Sacred Three
bless your eyes
and cause you to see.

– Jan L. Richardson
In the Sanctuary of Women

From pages 192-193 of In the Sanctuary of Women: A Companion for Reflection and Prayer by Jan L. Richardson. Copyright © 2010 by Jan L. Richardson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s blessing. Share your thoughts.

Your decrees are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.

Psalm 119:111, NRSV

This Week: pray for unity within communities. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Kateri Tekakwitha (July 14).

• robert moeller July 14, 2017, 2:02 am

Lord, may we see the way You see, act the way You act, and do as You do.
    Help us follow the spirit and not the flesh. With You in us, it is possible, You even help us when we stumble. With You we can get up and continue.

It will be a busy day, with loading, driving, and some unloading on arrival.
    I pray for a successful and safe move. The transition continues. Thank You, Lord.

Help us find the common threads that make unity in a community possible. Help us work with them and weave the fabric of community that puts You first Lord.

• Jill July 14, 2017, 6:29 am

Yes, God comes to us via many different avenues of the world. We must be mindful and anticipate opportunities…have our eyes opened – to be blessed and to be a blessing.
    Julie, Betsy and Robert – I thank you for your insights offered yesterday. Betsy – you give me too much credit. Unless by prayer warrior – you mean one who fights to pray. Prayer, most of the time, remains a struggle. I feel like I have ADD when it comes to prayer. Focus, stick-to-it-ness, humility – I need more of all of these. Sometimes it seems that my most coherent attempts are the 2-3 sentences I string together here on this forum. But – I will “fight on” – like a warrior. I find it easiest to pray for others needs. I find it very difficult to sit quietly, keeping my mind and heart open to His Stillness…to merely abide. But – I will engage (in the battle), I will be praying for my UR friends. Pray for me, and I will pray for you.
    As for Ashley – she depends on public transportation to get around. In her “household” – there is no car. Her household is very dysfunctional – that is an entirely other part of the story. We have been connected for 2 years and in that time – she has had 3 different residences. All with the same group of people. A trip to work by car is 10 minutes. Via the bus, it is over an hour, with a minimum of one bus change. And, there is no public transportation on Sundays – that seems to be the most common day she asks for a ride – when she has to “open” at her fast food place…when she works the early shift. When she takes her daughter to day care and then needs to get to work – on public transportation that is a 2 hour ordeal. With me – it is 15-20 minutes. Plus, not waiting in the elements of rain, humidity, sweltering heat, or snow – depending on the season. There have been times this summer when she has waited until the last minute to ask for a ride and I have not been able to assist. I then ask myself – ok – what is option B…is there an option B? I am encouraged that she has a job, has had this job for as long as I have known her. I am telling myself that the higher frequency of texts and ride requests are due to the fact that she is very pregnant, it is very hot and humid and she knows I am much more available in the summer.
    Robert – prayers for the completion of your move today.
    Father – thank You for this community and Your tie that binds us together.

• Connie July 14, 2017, 8:54 am

“Pray for me, and I will pray for you”…..It’s a deal!
      (and for Ashley-life is VERY hard for many)

• Betsy July 14, 2017, 7:01 am

Thank you for allowing us eyes to see where there are those in need and struggling. You, Lord, are our window to see the hurting around us.

Jill, you’re able to see Ashley’s need and reach out to her. I’m sure it’s sometimes difficult to know when help is truly needed Yes, it is wonderful she has a job and is willing to work to provide for her young family.
    Again, your willingness to be there for her is modeling God’s grace and love to her. Keep on, Girl!
    Robert, praying for a smooth move and cooler weather for the task.
    Our memorial service for my brother in law is tomorrow. We will gather as a family to celebrate a life richly lived. Thank you for prayers.

• Connie July 14, 2017, 9:00 am

Lord, let us see clearly Your goodness all around us. “Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit Divine”. Amen

• Julie July 14, 2017, 9:01 am

Robert, I pray that you have a smooth and easy move and that you are not sore tomorrow.
    Betsy, my prayers for you and your family during this period of grief as well as remembrance.
    Jill, you are between a rock and a hard place with your situation. Is it possible for Ashley to get a ride with a coworker?
    I pray for God to give me eyes that see others as He sees them, as His children, wonderfully and lovingly created in His image.
    Blessings to all who visit this group of supportive and loving believers

• Michaela July 14, 2017, 11:15 am

How blessed it is to look but but then see as the Holy Spirit. Only then, can I see the Lords’ teachings, the beauty that surrounds me, the work that must be done that I am able to do and most of all, His many miracles.May God continue to bless my eyes and the eyes of those who follow Him in faith.