Real Satisfaction

IN MY PRAYERS I frequently like to tell God what I want. I begin my day with list in hand: “Today, God, I need answers for this problem; I need resources for this issue; I need you to clear up this situation, change this person, resolve this crisis,” and so on.

Real satisfaction comes, however, when I pray differently. “Lord, thank you for what is set before me today. Help me to recognize and enjoy the special blessings you will offer me. I am going to choose to be thankful.” Another way of looking at this is to make being satisfied of higher importance than getting full. You see, getting full is something we can control. We are in charge of choosing. We can do the things that will fill life up, but satisfaction is something we need help with. We sometimes need assistance from God in order to say, “I have the gifts and opportunity to be satisfied right now. I already possess what is necessary for joy.”

– Rob Fuquay
The God We Can Know

From page 34 of The God We Can Know: Exploring the ‘I Am’ Sayings of Jesus by Rob Fuquay. Copyright © 2014 by Rob Fuquay. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What would you say is necessary for joy? Share your thoughts.

I am speaking the truth in Christ–I am not lying; my conscience confirms it by the Holy Spirit–I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart.
Romans 9:1-2, NRSV

This Week: pray for communal harmony. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Basil the Blessed (August 2).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling August 3, 2017, 4:36 am

Obedience to God is necessary for joy.

• Jill August 3, 2017, 4:50 am

Yes, Mary – I agree…obedience is a biggie.
    I would add a humble heart and a willingness to submit. For in these stances, joy – that deep flowing of true satisfaction – is available, and even abundant. In a relationship with Christ, we already possess what is necessary for joy.
    Father – help me to seek true satisfaction, to not settle for fleeting satisfaction the world offers.
    Betsy – praying for your friend’s family.

• robert moeller August 3, 2017, 6:24 am

Yes, Mary and Jill. I would add a relationship with God, putting God first. Being satisfied that our needs are met is joy producing.

Thankful that I am able to provide help to others, have food, clothing, shelter, and transportation.

Prayers for Betsy, her friend and her friend’s family. God’s peace be with all of you. Thank You, Lord for sustaining all of us. Guide us to accomplish communal harmony.

Prayers for Julie’s health and well being. Thankful for her testimony and endurance. Julie, the Lord is with you.

Guide me Lord in today’s tasks. Roof framing is being rebuilt, insulation installed.

Blessings to all who come to the UR, greetings to Michaela.

• Betsy August 3, 2017, 6:57 am

I’ve written this simple gratitude prayer down in my journal. “I am going to to choose to be thankful.” A great reminder that God is the source of all our blessings.

Thank you for all the prayers. Julie, hospice folks are the best. What a wonderful dedicated group. Ms. Betty is in good and able hands.

Blessings to Robert, Jill, Julie, Mary and all the others who visit here this week. May we all recognize God’s blessings this day.

• Michaela August 3, 2017, 7:13 am

I have often wondered what is necessary for joy. Counting ones blessings and giving thanks to God-true joy.
    . Feeling down and out because one isn’t feeling his presence? Time to draw near to God and honestly cast all your cares to him.
    All the fears, doubts, anger,frustrations, disappointments and other negative concerns. Allow God to comfort you without your resistance. Let his faithfulness enter your heart and mind. Trust and obedience to God is ultimate joy.

• Connie August 3, 2017, 7:21 am

My joy comes in simple things, and answer to prayer, a call or card from family or a friend, the wonders of nature, etc. Lately my joy has been tempered with sadness, but I thank God for my life and all He has given me. “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord”.

• Julie August 3, 2017, 7:39 am

Knowing that I am His child, beloved unconditionally is a reason for joy. That He loved me enough to send His only child to attone for my sins. That I am forgiven and found blameless in His eyes. Oh, the joy.
    Thank you all for your continued prayers. I feel much less alone since finding this refuge.
    Prayers for Betsy’s friend and her family. Prayers for Robert and Erich. Prayers for Lou. Prayers for your sadness Connie. Praayers for Michaela and all that visit here today.

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 2:42 am

Julie, thank you for your prayers. You lift up many people.

• Brenda monks August 3, 2017, 9:50 am

I wonder if Joy is always there and in our grasp , the way we look and see the world around us I think it is and we need to search deeper every day .

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 2:43 am

Agreed! Joy can be found. Search and you shall find.