The Love God Gives Us All

WE ARE LOVED before we can even utter the desire to be worthy. We do not earn the cloak of beauty that is wrapped around our souls or the wreath of love that God gives each of us.

– Stephanie Ford
Kindred Souls: Connecting through Spiritual Friendship

From page 30 of Kindred Souls: Connecting Through Spiritual Friendship by Stephanie Ford. Copyright © 2006 by Stephanie Ford. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Today’s

– Stephanie Ford
Kindred Souls: Connecting through Spiritual Friendship

What does “cloak of beauty” and “wreath of love” mean to you? Share your thoughts.

For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my own people, my kindred according to the flesh.
Romans 9:3, NRSV

This Week: pray for communal harmony. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Basil the Blessed (August 2).

• Jill August 4, 2017, 4:20 am

Wreath brings to mind a never ending circle. Wreath of love signifies to me that I am always enveloped in His Love and Care. Cloak of beauty – He defines my beauty – and I need to be satisfied with this and nestle into the cloak/covering with which He names me.
    Father, thank You for simple gifts, simple moments. Thank You for Your Word – and the comfort it supplies. Thank You for this space and Your Spirit which hovers over it.

• Louise August 4, 2017, 5:20 am

I believe that “cloak of beauty” is the special gift that God gives us. This gift is not necessarily good looks but a beautiful gift given to be used for good in the world. God gives us “wreath of Love” so we can feel his love, warmth, and strength, as we go into the world and share our own “cloak of beauty”
    Thank you God for all that you do for me everyday. I pray for my family, for those that are mentally, physically, and spiritually sick, and I pray that I will be guided by God today in all that I do, say, think, and feel.

• Michaela August 4, 2017, 5:55 am

“Cloak of beauty and wreath of love”.It is Gods’ gift to me. I am worthy of of Gods’ love because I am his child and he created me in his image. I have been chosen to live through his breath. I am humbly to live and spread his word.Gods ‘ love is everlasting even with my imperfections.

• Julie August 4, 2017, 7:39 am

I agree that God’s love is a wreath of love. I like Louise’s idea that our gift is our cloak of beauty. However what initially came to my mind is that each and every one of us is beautiful. God created us and all that God creates is beautiful and worthy of love. Both God’s love and the love of others are things that we are worthy of because we are His children, each and everyone of us. And we are tasked with seeing His light in each person we meet.
    Blessings and love to all who seek fellowship here

• Connie August 4, 2017, 8:03 am

God’s “cloak” of protection covers me. God’s “wreath” of love encircles me. Thanks be to God.

• robert moeller August 4, 2017, 4:11 pm

We don’t have to be physically beautiful as the world wants beauty. The “cloak of beauty” is the beauty we have from God when Christ is in us. I am reminded of the passage from Isaiah that describes the Messiah, Jesus as not being handsome and yet people were attracted to Him. Our actions, words, presence reflect the love of God when Jesus is in us.

The “wreath of love”, the love we have from God, surrounds us. We are children of God.

Thankful for this message today. Prayers for all of the UR family, that you are robed in beauty and wreathed in love.

Began this early this morning, now its late afternoon. Have helped a neighbor fix a roof and ceiling. It has been a good day.

• April August 5, 2017, 8:12 am

Oh Robert, from morning till night you are a faithful disciple of God. Blessings in all you do.

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 2:07 am

I am humbled by your comment. Any good I do is because of God who enables me.

• April August 5, 2017, 8:10 am

Oh Connie, this describes exactly how I feel about God, warm, cozy, loved. Blessed be the name of the Lord!!

• Connie August 5, 2017, 9:05 am

Bless you, April.

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 2:09 am

April, you share encouragement to many, that’s a gift and a blessing.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling August 5, 2017, 11:46 pm

Thank you God for the cloak of beauty and the wreath of love that you have graciously given to us. We are so blessed to be your choldren!

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 2:11 am