Faithfulness

FAITHFULNESS is consecration in overalls. It is the steady acceptance and performance of the common duty and immediate task without any reference to personal preferences — because it is there to be done and so is a manifestation of the Will of God. … Faithfulness means continuing quietly with the job we have been given, in the situation where we have been placed; not yielding to the restless desire for change. It means tending the lamp quietly for God without wondering how much longer it has got to go on. Steady, unsensational driving, taking good care of the car. A lot of the road to heaven has to be taken at thirty miles per hour.

– edited by Keith Beasley-Topliffe
Writings of Evelyn Underhill

From page 37-38 of Writings of Evelyn Underhill, edited by Keith Beasley-Topliffe. Copyright © 1998 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How do you define “faithfulness?” Share your thoughts.

Jesus said to them, “They need not go away; you give them something to eat.”
Matthew 14:16, NRSV

This Week: pray for communal harmony. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Basil the Blessed (August 2).

• Jill August 5, 2017, 4:56 am

I don’t come across Evelyn Underhill’s writings much – but when I do – they are golden nuggets. This one is so rich. I doubt I can add much to her explanation of faithfulness, but I will try.
    To remain faithful would be the dutiful observance and obedience to one’s calling. To remain true, despite circumstances and hardships, to not try to re-shape the calling; but, rather, to re-shape one’s mindset and heart-itude (heart attitude) to see to completion of the task.
    I love what Evelyn says…steady acceptance and continuing quietly. Yes, hand to the plow, no matter what.
    Grateful for a peaceful day with my sister yesterday. It was good to drive home and know that I had not dis-honored my heavenly Father. Mindfulness – so necessary. We had lunch and hit several shops. We have tickets to an outdoor concert this upcoming week.
    Cooler temperatures here, air-conditioning off, my cat roaming from open window to open window.

• Betsy August 5, 2017, 7:32 am

I’m in agreement, Jill. Ms. Underhill’s description is spot on. Faithfulness is the day on, day out work that is required. Not the “mountaintop moments” but the steady journey we take.

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 2:29 am

“Faithfulness is the day on, day out work that is required.” Yes, I most certainly agree.

• robert moeller August 5, 2017, 4:56 am

On my part faithfulness is the steady, slow, day after day walk in the valley punctuated by periods of silence, waiting, with little movement, knowing that God is with me. One day at a time there are the blessings of the day. Steadily progress is made as I do what I understand God would have me do.

God never gives up on us, is with us always, wants a relationship with us, loves us more than we can imagine, helps us when we fall down, enables us to continue, and waits for us to come home.

Thankful for being able to help with ceiling and roof repairs, vegetables to be picked in the garden, grocery shopping done, wonderful meals made by my son, rest and recovery. The list of blessings goes on, thank You, Lord.
    Prayers for the UR family, thankful for their posts, lifting up their needs to God, may many blessings be yours. Prayers that a resolution to the house sale is forthcoming soon. Wish you all a wonderful weekend and blessed Sunday.
    Thanks be to Him who keeps us from falling.

• Louise August 5, 2017, 5:45 am

Fidelity
    Acceptance
    Incorruptible
    Thoughtfulness
    Firm
    Unwavering
    Loyal
    Nurturing
    Enduring
    Steadfast
    Stability
    God I am grateful for my faith, for all the beautiful people in my life, for the ability to help You make a difference. God guide me today in all that I do, in all that I say, in all that I think, and in all that I feel.

• Gerri August 5, 2017, 6:25 am

Faithfulness!
    Walk,walk with the Lord
    No matter the terrain
    No matter the storms
    No matter the dreams left behind
    . in your heart
    Walk,walk with the Lord
    In the spirit of his love
    In the trust of his wisdom
    In obedience to his everlasting
    goodness and righteousness
    WALK !

• Julie August 5, 2017, 7:54 am

Believing that God loves me even during times of crisis. God is with me and loves me then as always. All the interpretations provided here are so insightful and worthy of reflection
    Prayers and blessings to all

• April August 5, 2017, 8:23 am

Faithfulness to God in all things and at all times:
    Ecclesiastes 3
    A Time for Everything:
    There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens…
    Blessings to my UR Family who so faithfully post and pray for each other.

• Lou August 5, 2017, 8:30 am

Unwavering and unending – in times of trouble and in times of good.
    So grateful for all of these posts today-
    Every person here adding a different dimension – prayers for all and for every situation- Blessed be the name of the Lord.
    Prayers for Rusty.

• Connie August 5, 2017, 9:01 am

Faithfulness to me means living God’s way. To do this, we need to hold tightly onto His hand and never waver in our trust, faith, and love for our Savior.

• Joan August 5, 2017, 9:43 am

Wow, so grateful for this post and look at all these rich comments! As I struggle w a “larger than life” project and so many other things, this post comes as such a blessing today. It is difficult now to stay the course when there are shiny distractions and so many others are enjoying times of rest and travel. God help me to live into what you want me to be about in these days. God, forgive me and help me with times of jealousy, fear, brokenness, and exhaustion. Not a response on faithfulness here, but the challenges of living it out.

• Lou August 5, 2017, 6:32 pm

Yes Joan- the challenges of living it out….have Faith- Praying for you. Life here is not easy – trust, faith, hope -I pray for you and for everyone who struggles with us. God will never leave or forsake us.

• Joan August 5, 2017, 9:38 pm

Thank you Lou! Very much appreciate your words!

• Carol August 5, 2017, 10:13 am

I rely on Gods faithfulness mostly and thankfully Christ was faithful and I’m in Him.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling August 5, 2017, 11:43 pm

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God!

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 2:31 am