The Wind of God

SAILING REQUIRES constant attention to the wind. If the wind swirls, I have to adjust the rudder. In a gusty wind, I have to adjust the sails. For maximum speed, I can shift my weight in the boat to hold down the windward side. With a strong wind there is never a moment I can let go of my attention.

In the Spirit-led life, the wind of God – the breath of the Spirit – propels me. Jesus explained the life of being born from above to Nicodemus: “The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit” (John 3:8). As the wind blows with power and mystery, so the Spirit of God moves powerfully and mysteriously. As a disciple of Christ, I allow the wind of God to shape who I am and where I go.

– J. David Muyskens
Sacred Breath

From page 98 of Sacred Breath: Forty Days of Centering Prayer by J. David Muyskens. Copyright © 2010 by J. David Muyskens. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How is the Wind of God shaping you? Share your thoughts.

And those who ate were about five thousand men, besides women and children.
Matthew 14:21, NRSV

This Week: pray for communal harmony. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Basil the Blessed (August 2).

• Jill August 6, 2017, 5:24 am

When I am attuned to the Wind of God, the current conditions around me – I am able to work with Him to bring about the changes He desires. Much like the author states above, we can work in conjunction with the current circumstances He allows – and participate in the change that He desires in our lives.
    Lovely, comfortable weather continues here – lunch with a friend outside yesterday and then a leisurely walk through an art show in the town streets. A graduation party for one of my students, and time spent talking with several students’ parents. Days of leisurely unhurriedness – a true blessing.
    Father, be very near to each one as we worship You in our respective places today. Please hold closely those who need Your touch.

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 6:13 am

God’s wind has brought me to the place where I now live so that I may help my son. Transportation and a vegetable garden are two ways I am able to help. Thankful for a bountiful harvest yesterday and car maintenance earlier in the week.

May you have a blessed Sunday worshipping the Lord and taking a day of rest.
    Prayers for communal peace, the fellowship of the UR, and the well being of all. The Lord bless you and keep you. Thank You, Lord.

• Louise August 6, 2017, 6:54 am

The place that The Wind Of God takes us is exactly where we are suppose to be at the point we are in our life. Where the wind takes us depends on many things. We have all been in very difficult places, scary places, peaceful places, and places that we really are not sure why we are there. However, as painful or as beautiful as each place is it prepares us for the next place. When we have faith and follow Gods lead the places that the wind takes us does not matter. What matters is when we are in the place that The Wind Of God has put us we listen for God’s guidance and do what God wants us to do. We gain knowledge and wisdom from each place and that knowledge and wisdom prepares us for the next place that The Wind Of God takes us. I pray for all that are mentally, physically, and spiritually struggling. I pray that God leads me in all that I do, in all that I say, in all that I think, and in all that I feel today. I hope you all find peace in your day.

• robert moeller August 6, 2017, 7:00 am

BEAUTIFULLY SAID! Thank you!

• Julie August 6, 2017, 7:18 am

Again, so many wonderful insights on this topic shared by such faith filled people. I will reflect on each comment and hopefully learn and grow in my faith. Thank you all for your mentoring.
    Thank you also, Lord, for your wind blowing me to find this source of friendship and support as well as a path to deepen my faith.
    Blessings and prayers for all who come here

• Jamie Bailey August 6, 2017, 9:58 am

My insight is:
    … that the “Wind of God” blows opportunities to grow my personal relationship with my Lord through meaningful and purposeful communication. As children of God we begin to notice and appreciate subtle hints, truths and divine epiphanies…breathed into our life by our Creator at just the right time. These are manife sted within our own personal dialog with Him…and…within our actual physical world right before our eyes! What is hidden is finally coming to light…! Pay attention and observe your natural world in calm unbroken silence and the Lords Glory inconceivable majesty will be revealed to you in time! This is God’s “Promise of Truth” in these chaotic times.
    Today I pray: “May God’s Will be done through me…according to my higher purpose and His Perfect Plan!”