A Deeper Truth

O LORD, It’s hard to admit, even to myself, that there are no easy answers to life’s hard questions. Help me to see things as you see them.

In wrestling with you, my imperfect faith is made stronger. In wrestling with you, I discover a deeper truth: that my questions usher me right back to you.

– Missy Buchanan
Talking with God in Old Age: Meditations and Psalms

From page 40 of Talking with God in Old Age: Meditations and Psalms. Copyright © 2010 by Missy Buchanan. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

So when Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe, the long robe with sleeves that he wore; and they took him and threw him into a pit.
Genesis 37:23-24a, NRSV

This Week: pray for racial harmony. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Clare of Assisi (August 11).

• Gerri August 7, 2017, 1:43 am

I am learning day by day not to wrestle but to let go and let God guide the way. This leads to wisdom and a great liberation from the confinement of self-knowledge.

• Jill August 7, 2017, 5:42 am

About 10-12 years ago when I began to get serious about my faith – I really struggled with questions that did not make sense to my logical, linear brain. Eventually I began to appreciate that these paradoxes, seemingly contradictions and hard questions pointed to a God that would not be fully defined nor comprehended by human minds. And – in my mind – that made Him even more awesome and worthy of honor. It wasn’t an easy threshold to step through for me, but He did indeed call me through it. Now, I am just saving those questions for heaven (Chris Rice).
    Father – help us to cling to You as hardships come. They are permitted by You, and will draw us even closer to You if we accept them and allow You to move and guide.

• robert moeller August 7, 2017, 7:33 am

Yes, problems, life’s hardships draw us closer to God. I can honestly say that many times God has seen me through these hardships. Thankful for God’s help. It is unlike any other and has made my faith stronger.

I still face challenging questions from a non-believer, am often unable to provide an answer that satisfies, but I continue in my faith and see things working out.

Yes, letting God be God is most helpful even though there are times when it is difficult to do.

Prayers for racial harmony, thankful for cooler weather and a nice day, praying for a resolution to the house sale and good help for Anneliese’s arthritis pain. Prayers for healing of all kinds. Looking to God we can do no better. Blessed be the tie that binds all of us here at the UR and in the world as we gather in Jesus’ name. God’s peace be with you. Thank You, Lord.

• Julie August 7, 2017, 7:53 am

There is so much in the world that we as mere humans cannot understand when trying to reconcile the human condition with the benevolent God. The death of children, natural disasters, racial disharmony, etc, etc. I once had a teacher who would tell us “ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die.” Therefore, since our minds cannot comprehend the infinite that is our Lord, we must simply accept that He is working all things to His glory.
    Bllessings nd prayers to all. I am having a great deal of pain. I continue to pray for those who post aand you remain on my heart throughout the day

• robert moeller August 7, 2017, 7:57 am

Prayers for pain relief, Julie. Thankful for your prayers and posts. Bless you!

• Connie August 7, 2017, 8:10 am

“Breathe on me breath of God. Fill me with life anew”.
    Lord, take away Julie’s pain. Comfort a family whose son was murdered and a daughter who has lost her Mother. Watch over and protect a neice who is having surgery. Thank you for hearing us when we pray. Amen

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling August 7, 2017, 9:31 am

Yes, Lord, help us to see things from your perspective.

Hear our prayers, O Lord!

Thank you, Lord!

• Louise August 7, 2017, 1:49 pm

I think we wrestle everyday! We start our day with prayer which gives us hope and peace. Then we look at what is happening around us in the world and for some it is within ouselves, our families, our community, our jobs, or the global upheaveal that impacts all of us on a daily basis. God is the only answer! Gerri states “Let go and let God” something that is not always easy but if we all pray and care for one another in our own little places in the world I believe that we will make a difference and God will reach out and touch others through us and help them see the way. I pray for all who suffer mentally, physically, and spiritually. I pray that God will be with me in all that I do, in all that I say, in all that I think, and in all that I feel. I pray for peace and racial harmony.

• robert moeller August 8, 2017, 2:16 am

So thankful for the prayers offered here. Thank You, Lord, for always listening.