God Given Ability

WHAT ABILITY DO YOU HOLD in your hand? Please don’t compare it with what others have. It may be big or small, but God has uniquely gifted you for a specific purpose. You already possess what God wants to use to bless others. Thank God for your ability; commit yourself to develop it further and to employ it in the service of others. When we use whatever is in our hand with courage and compassion, we begin to contribute toward the building of a better world for all.

– Trevor Hudson
Questions God Asks Us

From pages 40-41 of Questions God Asks Us by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2008 by the author. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What is your God-given ability? Share your thoughts.

Come, let us sell him to the Ishmaelites, and not lay our hands on him, for he is our brother, our own flesh.” And his brothers agreed.
Genesis 37:27, NRSV

This Week: pray for racial harmony. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Clare of Assisi (August 11).

• Jill August 8, 2017, 6:29 am

God has given me the ability to teach, to help mold young, open minds. He has given me the gift of time, to invest in others. He has given me my quiet nature (away from the classroom) and connected me with Ashley and her daughter…soon to be daughters. Father God – in each of these situations, may I bring You glory.
    Father – I pray for Julie, for the pain she is enduring. Please provide relief – if it is within Your Will. Comfort her in her pain. Father – thank You for gifting others with the ability to search for solutions to pain and illness. Might they be fervent in using the gift that they possess as they work for cures.

• robert moeller August 8, 2017, 7:37 am

Serving, caring for, helping, supporting others has been and still is my gift from God. Thank You, Lord. May I continue guided by Your wisdom and strength. May I be humble in Your service, Lord.

May Julie and Anneliese’s pain be gone, as both endure chronic pain. Thank You, Lord. Grateful for the accomplishments of yesterday as we are ready for the final tasks of ceiling repair. Thankful to be able to watch a tv-video player in my room, receive modeling help and a letter from a long time family friend.

Lord, You are well aware of the need for communal unity and racial harmony, help us to bring it about in a way that is pleasing to You and accomplishes Your word.

Blessings to all who come to the oasis that is the UR.

• Julie August 8, 2017, 7:51 am

The frst thought that came to my mind was that I have no gift and nothing to offer others. I suppose you can tell that I have a very low sense of self esteem. I also am very isolated.
    I did however raise a daughter who graduated from college. I have two masters degrees. My daughter feels comfortable enough with me that I was the first person she told about being gay. I guess I am nurturing, compassionate, non judgemental and aaccepting of differences.
    Thank you so much for the prayers. I am praying for all of you as well.
    Blessings to our little group of believers

• robert moeller August 8, 2017, 11:55 am

I think God is using you, just as God is using anyone who is a believer. Moses said he had not speaking skills and look what God did through him. Esther, Mary, Elizabeth and other women did amazing things because they believed, trusted, allowed God to work through them. Thinking you have no skills is the first step to putting yourself in God’s very capable hands. We who believe are the branches, God is the vine. We can do nothing without God. You have faith and give testimony every day. God is using you! Thank You, Lord.

• Connie August 8, 2017, 8:17 am

My God-given ability? I really don’t know. I don’t know if it is an “ability” to love many things and many people and share that with others. I see myself as a wife, a Mother, a fervent believer in God, truthful, honest, a good friend and these qualities definitely come from our dear Savior.

• robert moeller August 8, 2017, 11:48 am

I think too often we haven’t thought about this idea, then as believers we are humble to think we have anything. I think that is when God sees an opportunity with us and we are “in”. God uses us at times when we aren’t so aware as well. We also tend to think we aren’t saints as we haven’t done what famous saints have done. All believers have qualities of saints and God needs and uses all of us to cover all the needs of God’s kingdom. We don’t have to be Mother Theresa or Albert Schweitzer to be saints.