Pray for Someone

THERE’S NOT A RIGHT OR WRONG WAY to pray for others; any sincere prayer of the heart seems valid to me.

My own practice of intercessory prayer has been changing over time. One day when I received a disturbing phone call about a friend’s illness, I felt my heart twist. As I wrestled with the question in my head, How shall I pray for her? I felt as if God was saying You just did! … In a mysterious holy process, God already had heard the prayer of my heart.

We pray more unspoken prayers than we realize. … Sometimes our words don’t match the desire of our hearts. Perhaps we’re mouthing sentiments that don’t reflect our inner feelings honestly. Congruence between our intentions and prayers is vital. … Sometimes a sincere prayer for someone else involves putting legs on our prayer, taking the time to ask (or imagine) what this person truly needs. Instead of dropping off a casserole or a cake (so that we can check that off a to-do list), we might discover that assistance with housecleaning, a sack of disposable dinnerware, or someone to feed and house pets for a few days is the critical need.

– Linda Douty
Praying in the Messiness of Life

From page 81 of Praying in the Messiness of Life: 7 Ways to Renew Your Relationship with God by Linda Douty. Copyright ©2011 by Linda Douty. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Think of a need someone has who is close to you. Can you put that need in the form of a prayer? Share your thoughts.

Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise in the assembly of the faithful.

Psalm 149:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for those affected by natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Mother Teresa of Calcutta (August 13).

• Jill September 6, 2017, 1:50 am

It is good to be in the midst of pray-ers here. A safe haven, an oasis, a comfortable spot.
    Yesterday was a difficult day. When I awoke – there were messages from colleagues that a student who graduated in June died of an overdose. I had this student as a junior and he always seemed to be a troubled soul. It didn’t take long once the school day began – for current students, especially seniors, to catch word of it and some, understandably, took it very hard.
    I had an appt with my rheumatologist yesterday and he confirmed a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. Because of the rapidity of the onset of symptoms, he is recommending treating it aggressively.
    God has truly had His hand in this, as a good friend of a tennis buddy of mine has been battling this disease for seven years. I met her Sunday at the new church I attended. She spent a half hour with me Sunday, sharing her journey. She sent me numerous texts leading up to my appt yesterday, and then we spoke on the phone last evening for 40 minutes. She has walked the path that I find myself on, and has been very straight forward with me. She keeps repeating to me – this is not a life-threatening illness, but it is surely life-altering. She is so willing to share and support and I know that God caused our paths to intersect.
    Sleep was hard to come by, so finally just gave up and landed in my blue chair. I have moments of gratefulness for a quick diagnosis, confidence in my doctor and an aggressive treatment plan. But I also have moments of great emotion which rise out of uncertainty. Hoping to be able to have my “game face” on when I get to school.

• Louise September 6, 2017, 4:16 am

I have many people (family, friends, strangers that come into me life, the children that I teach and their families) that I pray for on a daily basics. I also pray for all here at UR. I also have arthiritis but not as severe as yours Jill. I hope and pray that you can distract your mind from your pain and know that God is always by your side. I pray for all that are mentally, physically, and spiritually suffering. I pray that God will guide me in all that I do, say, think, and feel today. I pray that I will be the best version of myself that I can be.

• Betsy September 6, 2017, 7:00 am

Many prayers go up throughout my day; chance encounters, shared concerns with friends, and prayer concerns noted in my journal. Grateful that God knows all and responds to them.

Jill, you have armed your self with knowledge and surrounded yourself with prayer. I know He will guide you and your doctor to the right treatment for this condition. So glad you found someone who has experienced the same thing, so she can help you navigate the diagnosis. Praying for you students as they try make sense of a classmate’s suicide. So much pain.

Grateful today to start back up with my work at our local Humane Society. Humbled by the hard work of the dedicated folks who care for the animals in need. Prayers go out to all in the path of Hurricane Irma. Send your servants, Lord, to help when the time is right. Amen

• Julie September 6, 2017, 7:54 am

I pray throughout the day for friends, family, those who visit here and post their concerns and those who visit to read only. I pray for those that I hear of on the news such as in Texas and Florida.
    Betsy, I am humbled by your work on behalf of homeless animals. This is something that I would love to do but I fear that they would reject me because of my fingers. So I remain home mired in self doubt.
    Prayers for all UR visitors today.

• Marcy September 6, 2017, 1:40 pm

Hello to all here in the UR family! I posted the first time here yesterday and have been reading since the beginning of the year. Thank you, Julie, for your warm welcome. I can’t believe I got teary-eyed!I’ve also wanted to help out at animal shelters, love all animals, but physical issues keep me from doing so. I have back issues and rheumatoid arthritis, so I know what you mean feeling unable to be of service. So we all pray for each other and that’s no small thing! So thankful, God, for the blessings we have through each other.
    Jill, my prayers go out to you, your colleagues and especially the family of the young student. These things are difficult at all ages and stages. Pray that your psoriatic arthritis treatment to go well and thankful you have someone to help guide you who’s been there.
    Louise, my prayer list is also long and wide ranging. I do this first thing in the morning before my devotional and Bible reading, for strength and healing in so many different ways (myself included at the end!)
    Betsy, I join you in praying for those not only in our country facing the devastating realities of these storms and fires, but also for those around the world who are suffering. I pray for God to be with all in the path of Irma and the ongoing issues from Harvey.
    So good to be able to post here. Thank you, again, Julie, for inspiring me to keep trying. Sorry so long!
    God’s blessings, love and encouragement to all who read and post here. You are all in my prayers!

• April September 6, 2017, 9:25 pm

End of the work day and so calming to come to this site and be among praying friends. It is said that spring and fall are the seasons when there are exacerbations of chronic diseases or diagnosis of new. I lift each who have posted and those that are reading to God our Creator. Blessings.

• robert moeller September 7, 2017, 7:31 am

Thankful for new members, welcome Marcy. Can certainly imagine a joyful tear shed. I’ve found the UR a place of great help and hope you do as well.
    Prayers for all who suffer from any form of arthritis. I know people here and in person and it is very painful. Thankful that there is medical help, but also pray for the day when it can be prevented.

Thankful for wonderful meals, for train track coming that will bring a layout to life, for an opportunity to help with Alzheimer’s research, and the prospect of renewed archive work this coming week. Prayers for Erich as he bakes pies, Anneliese as she deals with the sale of property and pain management, Rusty and K as they continue medical treatment, Julie’s hands, the students of every teacher here, and for every teacher. Lord, guide government in their decisions, grant them Your wisdom. Thank You, Lord for the blessings of each day.

• Carmelo September 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Оh my goodness! Awesome articcle dude! Ƭhank you, Нowever I am ggoing through difficulties
    wіth youг RSS. I don’t understand the reason whу I am unable to subscribe tto іt.
    Is tһere anybody getting identical RSSproblems?
    Anyone who knows thе slution ϲan үou kindly
    respond? Thankѕ!!