Strength through Weakness

WHEN WE ADMIT our weaknesses …, we discover one of the greatest secrets of the spiritual journey — that in our weakness lies our strength. This is one of the most powerful spiritual truths that we will ever discover. Rather than rejecting us because of our weaknesses, it opens the door for God to come alongside us and help us overcome what had previously defeated us. God’s strength can lead us beyond our weakness and enable us to grow spiritually strong.

– Trevor Hudson
One Day at a Time

From page 10 of One Day at a Time: Discovering the Freedom of 12-Step Spirituality by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2007 by Trevor Hudson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How has God made you strong? Where is God working to strengthen you today? Share your thoughts.

Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Matthew 18:18, NRSV

This Week: pray for those affected by natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Mother Teresa of Calcutta (August 13).

• Julie September 9, 2017, 8:01 am

It is only with God’s strength helping me that I make it through each day and I give Him thanks for this at the end of each day. Life is difficult and painful. It is difficult as a mere human to withstand every assault by the devil. Only by God’s strength am I able to withstand some of his temptations.
    I pray that all is well with everyone.
    Bless you all today and may God and His word stregthen you.

• Francesca September 9, 2017, 9:00 am

Julie, I thank you for putting into words how God provides strength. I am also suffering from physical pain (due to degenerative disc disease ). But being reminded of the reality that God is at work in me — in us — gives me strength — to teach, to encourage, to love. I thank God for leading me to the UR community where I experience teaching, encouragement, and love for others. I pray for pain management (physical, emotional, and spiritual ) for all who gather here.

• robert moeller September 9, 2017, 9:30 am

Discovering, acknowledging our weaknesses is an ongoing task although some of them remain with us life long. Since we have weaknesses, God is able to work through us. I guess we should be thankful that we have them.

Have no idea why the reflections seem to come off and on lately. That’s my perception, maybe I’m missing something. Had to search for today’s.

Thankful for the best wishes yesterday on my son’s birthday. We had a great meal and a pretty good day.

Praying and watching that people in the Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Caribbean, and Florida are safe. Between hurricanes and an earthquake that area is getting some pretty severe natural disasters. Lord, guide us to do what you would have us do as soon as it is possible to do it. Thank You, Lord, for the guidance, protection, help, comfort, and relief that You provide.

• April September 9, 2017, 10:29 am

I came across this thought when I was reading the other day and have pondered its meaning. It has to do with 2 pains. When we are first injured (physical, emotional, otherwise) we feel the muscle pain or headache. The second part of the pain feeling is when we say to ourselves, how will this affect me (loss of job, loss of friends, relocation). However if we share our experience/pain with others (they listen, pray for, call us) and are there to help us, this second pain is not as sharp. By sharing and living in community we have cut our pain in half. I thought of that in relationship to what draws me to come to this site….this oasis of friends…and I do feel better for having connected with everyone….my pain is often even less than 1/2!!
    Thank you, UR family, and Blessings for the weekend.

• robert moeller September 9, 2017, 1:45 pm

Wonderful understanding of pain and the power that comes when we share our experience with others. Thank you April! No wonder we feel better after visiting the “oasis”, family, or circle of friends where Jesus is among us since we are gathered in His name. We help and are helped at the same time. Thank You, Lord.

This has been a surprising day for me, besides the daily devotion and reflection, plus this comment, I’ve had a long walk this morning watching the mist on the mountain tops, greeted people walking, received new sheets, and started assembling long awaited model railroad track. Blessings come in all sizes, shapes, and forms. You don’t always know when or what, but they come.

• Marcy September 9, 2017, 2:02 pm

I am in agreement with you, Julie. Without God, I would be totally unable to keep up the fight. I’ve had a really rough couple of days and am so down, it’s taking everything I’ve got to post today. I really miss being able to care of others, I truly love doing that work, but it’s been a year since I’ve been able to work. I’m dealing with lower back degeneration, foraminal stenosis, a full thickness rotator cuff tear on my right shoulder (happened 2/2010 when I had no insurance), rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and more on top of anxiety and depression some if which is a catch-22 problem. Each makes the other worse. Sorry for the long list, hope it helps to understand my situation. I’m just deep in despair today.
    I pray with real feeling for God’s strength, healing and encouragement for eveyone here, reading and posting.
    Asking God to please be with all those dealing with hurricanes, wildfires and earthquakes and prayers for those rescuing and helping survivors all around the world.
    Thank you all here in the UR family for your acceptance, am grateful.

• Julie September 9, 2017, 5:38 pm

Francesca and Marcy, I am so glad you found us. Your posts are insightful and helpful. I am praying for you both. You are both loved.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling September 9, 2017, 9:40 pm

Yes, Lord, through our weakness, we experience your strength.

Thank you for being our source of strength and helping us to grow spiritually.

• 9app September 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

If you wouⅼd lіke to tаke а gooɗ deal from tһis piece оf writing then yοu have tο apply succh methods to your ᴡon blog.