Listen for God

WE MUST LISTEN for God day by day. We must keep an ear open to our neighbor, an ear to our hearts, and a third ear to God.

Faith is a journey led by God. We pause, wait, and listen for the Guide who speaks more often than not in a still, small voice that requires careful, patient attention.

– J. Marshall Jenkins
A Wakeful Faith

From page 69 of A Wakeful Faith: Spiritual Practice in the Real World by J. Marshall Jenkins. Copyright © 2000 by J. Marshall Jenkins. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

When asked to listen for God, in what ways do you respond? Share your thoughts.

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

Romans 13:8, NRSV

This Week: pray for those affected by natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Mother Teresa of Calcutta (August 13).

• Lou September 7, 2017, 12:56 am

God – I am listening- lead me, guide me. Thankful that I was able to return to work following my surgery and that each day I feel that the discomfort is less.
    Prayers for all who come here today looking for love and Your guidance. We trust in You – for You are the way the truth and the life. Prayers for those harmed and displaced by Harvey, prayers for those in the path of Irma. We need you Lord- help all of those struggling with physical and emotional pain- we need Your healing. Prayers of peace for all.

• robert moeller September 7, 2017, 4:27 am

Good news from you, Lou. Very glad of the progress. Yes, we need the Lord all the time and thankfully the Lord is always there.

It is the hurricane season and so far a very tough one. Prayers for those facing or have faced a hurricane.

I need to be a better listener, spend more time listening.

Thankful for the events of yesterday, someone is listening to me, and I’m trying to listen to others.

A little unsettled the last few days, but I’m making my way through the valley

• Jill September 7, 2017, 4:46 am

When intentionally trying to listen to/perceive God – I must try to quiet my brain and bring it as close to stillness as I am able. I try to visualize myself climbing up in His lap and nestling into His arms…I use the literal image of my cat doing that in my lap…he starts to purr, he kneads and stumbles around and finally settles. My “kneading” is my attempt to ready myself into stillness. Another way I listen is by getting into the Word, especially the Psalms.
    Marcy – thank you for posting, look forward to learning and growing from the perspectives you will share. Lou – good to hear of progress post-surgery. Robert- so good to know that He is with us in the valleys, too. And that, there is a purpose in the valley. Cling to Him.
    Today will be a long one. We have open house this evening, followed by a candlelight vigil in the student parking lot for the young man who passed.
    Prayers for those evacuating as Irma approaches.

• Gerri September 7, 2017, 5:07 am

I cannot start the day without listening to God. In the business of the day ,I seek the guidance of God. Always, I struggle to obey.In the struggles of the walk I know he is there. Again I pause to listen. Sometimes I don’t like what I hear. It’s the time to draw on faith and hope with the courage to obey. Listening to God gets me through the day.

• Louise September 7, 2017, 5:45 am

I try to take time everyday to quiet my mind and listen to God. Without Him in my life I would not be where I am today physically, mentally, or spiritually. I thank Him for all of His guidance, patience, and love. I pray for all here at UR. I pray for all that struggle. I pray for all that are in the path of the hurricanes…know that God is by your side and will help you.

• Betsy September 7, 2017, 7:03 am

I still myself and listen for God during my morning devotional time. Even then, I often am preoccupied with thoughts of things of the day. Picturing an image from my daily Bible passage helps to center me and open myself to Him.
    Lou, thankful you have healed and are back at work. Praying for this group of pray-era at UR this day.

• Julie September 7, 2017, 7:48 am

Jill, I, too, envision myself sitting in the Lord’s lap. I imagine myself as a child in a parent’s safe embrace as I listen for His wisdom.
    Lou, I m so very glad for your healing. Robert, so good to hear from you after a brief absence. Jill, I pray for strength for you today, God Bless.
    Marcy, I am so glad that God guided you to this haven of warmth, acceptance, aand friendship. I feel as though we are kindred spirits. Before I visited this site I had not experienced a kind word directed to me for many, many years. When I encountered my first words of kindness directed to me I was overwhelmed with emotions.
    Blessings and prayers for all who visit here today.
    Prayers for those in Texas, Florida, and those going to help.

• robert moeller September 7, 2017, 8:00 am

Thank you Julie, am bombarded with emails these days and have things on my mind. Need to keep focused on the One who keeps us from falling. Put God first and all these things will be given to you.

Having you here at the UR is as much a blessing for us as it is for you. God truly has a plan for each one of us.

• Julie September 7, 2017, 9:36 am

God bless you and keep you Robert
        I know He will see you through all you face

• Marcy September 7, 2017, 1:35 pm

When I pray at the start of the day, I sometimes become emotional and fervently pray all the harder. Especially when remembering all the members of our Bible group who all passed in the space of the year. The group is no more, one of those who passed was the founder and leader and only two of us left. My closest friend, more like a sister, was the most recent and I will love her and miss her for the rest of my life. I pray audio lectio once weekly online. They only have it on Sundays. Lectio divina focuses and centers me also, but the audio lectio is even better.
    Julie, I have to thank you again for all the encouragement you were giving me even though you may not have known it. You have a true gift in making others feel like they belong. Kindred spirit was the same way I felt when I was just reading! We have maybe traveled similar paths, only to meet here. I believe we have much in common. Please keep encouraging others as you do, you have the gift!
    Lou, thankful you had a successful surgery and can return to work. May each day go easier for you.
    Robert and Jill, thank you for the welcome…Robert, those pies Erich bakes sound good. Pain management is a battle for me every day and God is with us as we await treatment that actually works. I can relate with all who face this particular “thorn”…. Jill, I’m sure you can relate also and thank you for the analogy with your cat. My orange tabby cat is the best roommate and buddy and she does the same “kneading” thing. I’ll remember this analogy the next time I’m having trouble focusing. Will be thinking of you as you attend the candlelight vigil for the young man and his family this evening.
    Praying to God alongside everyone for guidance and obedience and especially for those of us working to overcome mental, physical and spiritual struggles. A long and abusive marriage is still hurting me-eight years out and persevering is still hard. God is in my corner, so grateful to Him.
    Many prayers for the survivors of Harvey and all those in Irma’s path. Please, Lord God, watch over them and keep them safe.
    God’s blessings of comfort, understanding and most of all LOVE to all here at the UR family and beyond!

• robert moeller September 7, 2017, 6:09 pm

Marcy, while your posts are new they are very familiar as if you had been posting here for a very long time. A lot goes on in life that we don’t know about right away.
      Yes, pain management can be and is helpful, but not always or to the extent we hope for. While I am not a pain management patient, I’m pretty close to it.
      I pray you get the help you need medically. God will carry you through, as a believer I am firm on that from my own experience.

• Marcy September 7, 2017, 7:17 pm

Robert, hope I don’t come off overly familiar…that particular trait was an asset as a caregiver in healthcare! No offence intended…just been holding a lot in. Thank you for your prayers.

• robert moeller September 7, 2017, 9:39 pm

Thankful to read your words and have you here.