Compassion

WE ARE MOST FULLY HUMAN, most fully ourselves, when we see someone in the truth of his or her experience and are moved to respond with compassion and care.

We glimpse a colleague smiling at his beloved’s photograph, and our smile in response offers respite for both of us from the whirlwind of the workday.

We see our teenage daughter asleep on the couch, the cat curled up in her lap, and the wash of compassion that comes over us reminds us of the love that ties us together. We see the same teenager, now late for school, frowning at her reflection in the mirror, and the morning’s mad dash dissolves into the yearning that our child know the beauty that we behold.

– Frank Rogers Jr.
Practicing Compassion

From page 9 of Practicing Compassion by Frank Rogers Jr. Copyright © 2015 by Frank Rogers Jr. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Fresh Air Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Notice the times you feel compassionate today. Share your thoughts.

Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

Romans 13:14, NRSV

This Week: pray for those affected by natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Mother Teresa of Calcutta (August 13).

• Jill September 8, 2017, 3:37 am

I have been wrapped in compassion these past few days by close friends and family members, as well as my new friend Suzanne. My 2 closest friends linger on the phone a bit longer with me, are more intentional in their listening. And I feel cloaked in prayer, and this sustains me.
    Father, I pray that through this experience You will grow me to be more compassionate, to reach out to others. Grow my patience, and thus my compassion (or is it the other way around…) for my sister. Her intentions are so good…I must always be mindful of this…help me to accept her compassion in the manner in which she gives it.
    Father, be merciful to those in the path of Irma.

• robert moeller September 8, 2017, 6:42 am

Thankful for this day, my son’s birthday, hope we can celebrate with his favorite food, lobster. Grateful for the compassion of the UR as we share our hearts with and for each other. Prayers for healing, comfort, restoration, and recovery in all their forms and means. Yes, Jill, you are lifted up and God is with you.

Will try and make note of the compassion I recognize today. It’s needed every day every where. Thankful for new members and mindful of those we miss.
    An earthquake in Mexico, Harvey in LA and TX, Irma through the Caribbean and headed to FL, other hurricanes following, and natural disasters in other parts of the world have our attention. Help us Lord to be Your hands. Thank You, Lord.

• Lou September 8, 2017, 7:29 am

Prayers for you Jill- thankful that you have much support surronding you- prayers for your school and your students As they struggle with the loss.
    Robert celebration prayers for you – but mindful that you feel that you are in the valley – lean in on Him – your faith that I read through your posts has carried ME- I know He will carry you- lean into Him.
    Thankful for all who come to this place to support one another- wherever two or more are gathered in his name there is love. Thankful for God’s loving kindness and compassion to us all. Peace to all who come here today.

• Julie September 8, 2017, 7:51 am

Yes, Lou, peace to all who visit here. Spirituaal peace, mental and emotional peace and bodily peace. We may not know healing but we can be peaceful in the knowledge thaat God is with us where we are in our souls. I feel compassion here, both what is given and what is received.
    Jill, so glad you haave others who rally around you to support you. Robert, prayers for you as you continue to deal with numerous issues. Thankful you have a day to celebrate. Lou, I am so thankful for your healing! Blessings and pryers for all who visit today my God’s peace live in your heart.
    God be with those in Texas, Louisiana, Florida, the Caribbean, and Mexico.

• Connie September 8, 2017, 8:36 am

I feel compassionate today for my Reflection Friends and any concerns of theirs.
    I feel compassionate towards people touched by the devastation of the Hurricanes. I cannot even imagine.
    I feel celebratory as I wish Erich a Happy Birthday.
    May God bless your weekend, all.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling September 8, 2017, 10:59 am

Thank you God for teaching us to have compassion for the needy and poor.

Blessings to all!

• Marcy September 8, 2017, 11:29 am

I feel compassion for all here in the UR family going over rough roads and getting to smooth and even roads.
    I feel compassion and admiration for those whose faith, hope and love that’s so strong.
    Celebrations to those celebrating, always looking out for the good things happening and reminding me not to overlook these gems.
    So much compassion for hurricane survivors and those yet to be impacted. Also, for all in the midst of wildfires and earthquakes. Compassionate God, please be with those in the paths and wakes of destruction and keep them safe and well. I see His goodness in those first responders and everyday people doing all they can to help.
    God’s blessings and encouragement to all here, posting or just reading.

• Louise September 9, 2017, 6:15 am

Compassion is something I learned from God. When my mother suffered so with cancer and I lost her at a very young age…she was 55 I was 27…I had great compassion for her and took care of her. When she died my compassion died…I just existed day to day. My dad remarried and I felt so alone. God held on to me and helped me at times and I didn’t even realize it. I was not LISTENING! I went through a time that I called “Walking through the darkness” I felt alone and lost. God was there He held my hand, He pulled me up, He held onto me until I got through the darkness. At the time I did not realize it but God sent beautiful…compassionate people to help me. A lot of those people are still in my life and I am so thankful. A few years later when my dad suffered and died because of cancer God was there and I was LISTENING. Through the years when life happened and my son came close to death twice, my husband got sick, my daughter went through a toxic relationship, my nieces were abused and my own medical issues I LISTEN and I feel compassion and I am able to be commpassionate towards others…I know that God is with me I feel compassion and I am able to be compassionate and help others. I pray for all that suffer mentally, physically, and spiritually. I am thankful for this space and pray for all that are here. Know that God is holding onto you and He will carry you through. I pray for all that are in the middle of the hurricane disasters…God be with them and help them. I pray that I will be the best version of myself today.

• Valentina September 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Aw, this waas а really good post. Taking the tіme and actual effort
    to makе а toр notch article… Ƅut what ϲɑn I say… Ι put thingѕ off a ⅼot and don’t manage tо ɡet anything done.