Worry

NO FOOLPROOF FORMULA exists for avoiding worry, but scripture offers a few suggestions. The first is to become more aware of everything in our lives for which we are grateful — and to thank God for each one (1 Thess. 5:18). And the second is to keep returning our thoughts to that which is life-giving and hope-filled (Deut. 30:19-20; Phil. 4:8).

– Kim Barker, Linda de Meillon, Leigh Harrison
Birthed in Prayer

From page 113 of Birthed in Prayer: Pregnancy as a Spiritual Journey by Kim Barker, Linda de Meillon, Leigh Harrison. Copyright © 2008 by Kim Barker, Linda de Meillon, and Leigh Harrison. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

If you worry today, pray a prayer of gratitude. Share your thoughts.

The Israelites went into the sea on dry ground, the waters forming a wall for them on their right and on their left.

Exodus 14:22, NRSV

This Week: pray for those affected by natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Catherine of Genoa September 15).

• Jill September 11, 2017, 6:36 am

Yes, turning my thoughts toward gratitude is such an elixir when I begin to feel overwhelmed. I have come quite a ways in this…I am able to self-regulate fairly well…of course, it isn’t all me – the Spirit tugs at me to have my thoughts be positive. A great joy and reason for gratitude is to always be able to sink into prayer, to commune with my Father God.
    Grateful for a restful weekend, as this week will be my first five day week with all of my classes. Grateful that Irma weakened at points, that last evening my friend was able to talk with her father – and the worst of the hurricane was past his location. Grateful for the countless rescuers and responders who are willing to sacrifice much to aid.
    Also – I believe I have found my new church home – and this is a huge praise of gratitude. The people are real, the music is not ear-shattering, and the Word is preached strongly. Thank You, Father – for leading me here.

• Betsy September 11, 2017, 6:56 am

God is good, Jill! So glad you have found a place of worship where you feel at home. The congregation will be blessed by your involvement.

• robert moeller September 11, 2017, 7:38 am

Thankful that Irma has lost a lot of power and many people are safe. Resources are gathering to help with the restoration of homes and services.
    We can pray for those still in Irma’s path and those recovering from the earthquake.

Glad you have found a church, Jill. That is a blessing. Prayers for your health and classes as you begin your first full week of school. Prayers for all the teachers, their students, support staff, administrators, parents, and grandparents. Prayers for all who deal with chronic pain of any kind, thankful that you are strong witnesses for God.

Yes, counting your blessings certainly takes away or eases worries. There are more blessings than worries every day. God’s love makes sure of that.

• Julie September 11, 2017, 7:42 am

I struggle with this. Worry is a constant companion for me. Especially since my husband announced that he plans to leave his job next year. This would be prior to being elligible for social security, etc. I have a good friend whose father did the same thing and they are now losing their home and unable to pay their bills. I am fraaught with worry. I aam thaankful that he has agreed to see a financial planner who I pray will talk some sense into him. I try to count my blessings and give my worry to God. It doesn’t always prove effective.
    Prayers for those in Florida, Texas, and Mexico.
    Prayers and blessings for this band of prayer warriors.

• Connie September 11, 2017, 3:29 pm

Today I am thankful for many things, the beautiful weather being one of them. Also that Irma spared Tampa.

• Gerri September 11, 2017, 7:01 pm

If there is true trust and faith in the Lord,there shouldn’t be much time for worry. A minister once advised me that worrying is a form of immaturity.It’s the immaturity to accept that there will always be problems in life. Some can or will be resolved. Others will not. I like to add that sometimes we may feel insecure about dealing with certain challenges – worry pops up. I like the Serenity Prayer for myself when I start to drown in worry. I need to accept what I cannot change and find courage to change or solve what I can. Blessed wisdom puts me into action with the resources and tools that I need. Most of all I cast all my worries,fears,doubts,hurts,anxieties,and frustrations on the Lord. He is the only friend who can take the burden. What a blessed relief that is for me to carry on.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling September 11, 2017, 11:39 pm

For me, i pray more and worry less. Commit all things to God in prayer.

Thank you God that we need not worry when we commit all things to you in prayer.