Individually Handcrafted

GOD’S LOVING POWER longs to enfold and flood through all that we are — our subconscious as well as conscious selves; our wounded memories; our damaged trust; our fears; our shadow sides; our hidden hopes; the deep gifts within us not yet born or long forgotten; our attitudes toward ourselves, others, the world around us, and God. Perhaps the greatest act of wonder is that as we are healed, made whole, and filled with God, we become more our unique selves, not less. We are not identical products on a factory line; we are each individually handcrafted.

– Flora Slosson Wuellner
Miracle

From page 15 of Miracle by Flora Slosson Wuellner. Copyright © 2008 by Flora Slosson Wuellner. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How has God made you unique? Share your thoughts.

Welcome those who are weak in faith, but not for the purpose of quarreling over opinions.
Romans 14:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for those affected by natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Catherine of Genoa September 15).

• Jill September 14, 2017, 3:33 am

It is so good to know that God’s hand has been over the entirety of my life. Things, occurrences that I would view as roadblocks and obstacles – He has used them as springboards to growth and a magnet to drawing me closer to Him. Of course, we are all unique…perfectly crafted by Him. But our part is to embrace our uniqueness, our gifts as well as our imperfections and to present them to Him for His use.
    It remains difficult to put into words the assurance my new found friend and sojourner, Suzanne, has meant to me. I met with her for an hour last evening prior to Bible study. She shares so freely from her experience, not for shock value – but simply because she is answering a call of God. Father, thank You for placing Suzanne in my path, her willingness to share from her depths. And, Father, I know that while You permitted this storm, You provided this support so that I would not be overwhelmed.

• Marcy September 14, 2017, 5:21 am

I realize now, being at the age where I have lived more days than I have days to live, that my experiences, hardships and joy, afford me levels of understanding and acceptance that I’m able to convey to others. As a healthcare associate, this was invaluable and I had close bonds with those I cared for. Instead of working, God showed me I was serving and doing so with His love and His caring. God gave me a uniquely wide variety that I hope to be able to use now when I learn how to communicate better in words. I’m still working on the physical part, too!
    Jill, it’s so important to find a friend that is so supportive. I feel that she must feel the same, as your description sounds so even – give and take.
    Julie, you are so good at welcoming others and maybe as time goes on, I can tell you more about the things we have in common. Remember, I was reading long before I was posting and you got me out of isolation.
    Robert, I was curious about your interest in trains. My Dad worked for the C&NW railroad all his life and I still have model train sets from the 1950’s.
    I am praying for all of you here in the UR family and beyond, both individually and as a group. I’m so grateful God lead me here.
    Asking God to send powerful, all-encompassing strength, love and provision to restore the lives of survivors of all natural disasters and to bless all the people working to do so. Lord, please be with those who lost loved ones.

• Marcy September 14, 2017, 5:33 am

So sorry! I almost forgot to thank you all here atthe UR for all your prayers and I thank God for your spiritual guidance.

• Betsy September 14, 2017, 6:47 am

It is so comforting to know God is with me through trials and grief in my life. He is the artist that makes the masterpieces that are all of us. I love to turn to Psalm 139 when I feel far from His love. It assures me that He is everywhere, and I’m not alone.
    Please keep me in your prayers, UR friends, as I help to lead the retreat for a group of women affected by incarceration in their lives. We begin the journey early tomorrow and will end Sunday afternoon, so I’ll be “offline” for awhile. I know God has great things in store for these women, and He will show his love and grace throughout the time they spend in fellowship and discussion.
    Jill, so glad you have a friend in Christ who can hold you accountable in your journey, as you can for her. She was put in your path for a reason.
    Marcy, I’m so enjoying your posts. Welcome to this small but faithful group!
    Blessings to all UR posters on this fall day.

• Marcy September 14, 2017, 7:26 pm

Betsy, showing these women God’s love through your faith and the program is important work. You’ve been involved for awhile, right. I can’t remember when you first mentioned this as I was just reading here at first. Anyway, my feeling is that the women need healing and guidance and I pray God provides productive and positive outcomes. Will be looking forward to hear from you when you get back. God bless!

• robert moeller September 14, 2017, 6:56 am

This is one of those reflections where initially I feel challenged, unable to respond to the question of the day. Where to begin? My ability in foreign language, love of my home state, and interests in genealogy, model railroads and railroad history, and gardening are some traits that make me unique.
    Have always been very comfortable in and around church. I believe my faith has grown especially through the more recent tough times. I too am closer to going home.

My railroad connection begins with my Dad having a model train as a boy. It continues when my parents met on a train, my Dad traveling to see Mom on a train. Then I lived near a railroad and was taken to see another in the town where I grew up. Saw steam locomotives on the Central Vermont until I was 10. They left strong, long lasting memories.

Yes, this site where we meet and share is a very precious place. I’m very thankful that it exists. It takes the printed UR my Dad read to a whole new level. No matter how you interact with it, there are positives for you. Jesus most certainly is here as we gather in His name. Thank You, Lord.

I echo the prayers and thoughts of Jill and Marcy here today. Amen.

• Julie September 14, 2017, 8:05 am

Until today, I thought I had nothing that made me unique. Thank you so much Marcy for sharing such words with me. I am stunned to know that my words here have meant so much to you. I thought I was posting only to reach out to others in my lonliness and isolation. Thank you, i am humbled. I am looking forward to future posts from you and in fact continually check during the day until you post.
    Prayers for all who are in need today. Those wonderful souls here at the UR as well as those throughout the world.
    Blessings to all who call this site a welcome home and a place of friendship.

• robert moeller September 15, 2017, 5:58 am

It is a blessing to have you here, Julie. Your posts are helpful. Having a diversity of posts all inspired by the Holy Spirit encourages all of us. Each one of us is unique, we are all different and yet all are in the image of our creator.
      Keep posting.

• carol September 15, 2017, 7:58 am

God has made me not necessarily unique but authentic. After many years of suffering I am more real now than ever before. Life isn’t great so to speak but there is a wholeness within me that only God can bring about. I live in a state of forgiveness. I don’t now seem to be able to take offence. I live in the day forgetting what has passed. The list goes on courtesy of our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling September 16, 2017, 3:43 am

Thank you God for making me unique!

• robert moeller September 16, 2017, 3:51 am

Yes and Amen, Mary. Even twins are unique. It’s amazing how we are all different. All of us make up a part of the image of God.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling September 17, 2017, 3:14 am

Indeed, Robert!

Blessings to you and Erich!