Care for Our Bodies

IN CARING FOR OTHERS we use up a great deal of physical and mental energy. If we do not replenish these limited resources, we run the risk of compassion fatigue. We cannot fulfill our God-given callings to be compassionate human beings in bodies that are constantly neglected and overextended. How we feed, exercise, relax, listen to, and nourish our bodies are matters relevant to faithful discipleship. As Francis of Assisi lay dying, someone asked if he would have changed anything in his ministry. Significantly he responded, “I would have been more kind to my body.”

– Trevor Hudson
A Mile in My Shoes: Cultivating Compassion

From pages 88-89 of A Mile in My Shoes: Cultivating Compassion by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2005 by Trevor Hudson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What do you do to take care of yourself physically? Share your thoughts.

But the people thirsted there for water; and the people complained against Moses and said, “Why did you bring us out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and livestock with thirst?”
Exodus 17:3, NRSV

This Week: pray for victims of natural disasters. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Leoba, September 28).

• Jill September 25, 2017, 3:47 am

I get the sense that many of us here do the best we can with our bodies, trying to tend to the needs. Personally – I have been quite attuned with my body – trying to nourish it with enough sleep, physical activity and proper foods. Throughout the past few weeks I have had to fight periods of frustration, disappointment and feelings that my body is betraying me. At times, I feel like I am at war with my body…not a good space for me to be.
    Yesterday we had a guest preacher at my church and he spoke mainly from Titus. But her referenced I Corinthians 10:13 and I began this morning with it “No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing He will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.”
    Suzanne suggested that I have a set of notecards with a verse on each one, and then when I become too weary – I can read through them. This verse is going on the next notecard.

• Betsy September 25, 2017, 6:51 am

It is a good thing to be in tune with your body, Jill. You become more aware when you need to take a break and rest. You are in a very physically and emotionally tough job; take time to care for it. Praying for your strength this day, and the testing that you are enduring.

• Marcy September 25, 2017, 10:44 am

Jill, I had a counselor suggest the Bible verse on one side and an affirmation on the other. Please take care and I know from your posts, your faith is strong. So good to have our Father lifting us up to Him.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling September 25, 2017, 7:40 am

Self care is important. I make sure i have enough sleep and rest. Sometimes, i take a few days of annual leave so that i dont get burnt out. Eating well and having a balanced life is important. I also exercise and journal, pray and read God’s word daily for spiritual growth.

Blessings to all!

• Julie September 25, 2017, 7:47 am

Taking care of myself has never been easy for me. If anything, I have abused my body and myself as a whole. I do not feel worthy of even my own self care. I feel more comfortable giving to and caring for others. I should try to be kinder to myself, especially with my Reynaud’s, but ingrained habits are difficult to change.
    Robert, if I may, I have a few pie tips for Erich. I learned to bake pies from my grandmother when I was very young.
    1. If crust is browning too quickly – cover with aluminum fol
    2. They make special crust shields for this purpose
    3. Always bake pie on lowest position in oven – will seal bottom crust preventing it from being soggy and keeps top crust farther from heat source to prevent overbrowing
    4.Can put crushed unsweetened cereal of oats, small amount, on bottom crust to also control moisture
    Hope these help
    Blessings to all

• robert moeller September 25, 2017, 8:17 am

Thanks Julie, those pie baking tips will be shared. Erich did lots of research before he started, I helped with what little I know. He has a sleeve for his rolling pin, can make crust from scratch. His filling tastes like his Mom’s.

• julie September 25, 2017, 7:49 am

sorry coverr crust with FOIL

• robert moeller September 25, 2017, 8:29 am

I take walks to help my heart, of course there is medication, aspirin, and vitamins too. Little or no salt or sugar. Should be on a heart rehab program soon. Have to take a heart stress test first, that’s coming up soon.
    Plan meals with my son and we watch out for each other.
    I pray for all who have health issues and try to encourage, support those who
    quite often try to do more than they should in one day. Can’t say I’m successful in that effort, but prayers put health needs in God’s hands.
    Temps will be a record breaking through Thursday. Thankfully not humid weather. More to say after my walk.

• Marcy September 25, 2017, 10:38 am

Robert, glad you have heart rehab coming upp and pray for favorable results from the stress test. Yes, put hralth care in God’s hands. He will walk alongside you. Bless you!

• Connie September 25, 2017, 8:56 am

I would much rather have “compassion fatigue” than “indifference fatigue”!
    Sounds like everyone is taking good care of themselves. However, as Jill stated, sometimes our bodies fight against our efforts. “The Battle is the Lord’s”. May He fight the battle and WIN. Praying for all.

• Connie September 25, 2017, 8:58 am

P.S. You all inspire me.

• Marcy September 25, 2017, 9:59 am

I do what I can, physically and hope to improve on that after upcoming procedures. As Jill says, I’m in a battle with my body.

I used to push myself way beyond what was healthy for my work, but so loved my calling. However, this did much more harm annd am now dealing with the aftermath. Julie, please be careful not to push yourself too hard.

I’m unable to grip things, like the handles on grocery totes, so I just hang them on my lower arm. Theres’s a lot of trembling in my arms and legs, so I have to take a lot of breaks. You just learn how to do things different and keep moving.

Robert, could definitely improve my diet and some meds are causing weight gain. All the more important to keep moving as much as possible, like you do.

I agree, Connie, that I’m inspired by everyone here and so very thankful for the wisdom shared.

Still praying for all affected by the calamities of nature in Texas, Florida, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. Praying for relief effortss to be maintaiined ad increased.

God’s love to each and everyone here in the UR family and beyond, and each and evveryone of your family members. Thankful for all your prayers.and my prsyers to all experiencing mental, emotional, physical and spiritual difficulties in alll forms. Grateful to our Father, the Great Physician, who loves us and takes care of all of us. Thank you, God!

• Marcy September 25, 2017, 10:31 am

Also, a daily meeting with God through prayer, supplication, meditating on His Word and giving thannks to Him. So very important!

• Gerri September 26, 2017, 7:30 pm

For me, taking care of myself physically is rooted in how I care for myself emotionally, mentally and most of all spiritually.