Restlessness on the Journey

THE FAITH JOURNEY also includes periods of frustration and aridity. We seldom talk about these times, preferring to focus on the good feelings of the faith journey. But to grow in our ability to love God, neighbor, and ourselves, eventually we will experience some feelings of discomfort. Though unpleasant, frustration with the inner life can signal important change for the spiritual pilgrim.

Restlessness, the mildest form of frustration, occurs when we feel slightly unsettled. Life seems a little out of kilter. Maybe we have outgrown a job, a relationship, or our living space. We may have become complacent in our prayer life or feel a lack we cannot even name. Our days are void of inspiration. Nothing is wrong, but nothing is right either. The presence of restlessness and frustration may be the stirring of the Holy Spirit, informing us something in our life has struck a dissonant chord with God’s yearning for us.

– Karla M. Kincannon
Creativity and Divine Surprise

From page 96 of Creativity and Divine Surprise: Finding the Place of Your Resurrection by Karla M. Kincannon. Copyright © 2005 by Karla M. Kincannon. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Are you feeling restless? What is your restlessness telling you? Share your thoughts.

The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
Psalm 19:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for grandparents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Francis of Assisi, October 4).

• Lou October 4, 2017, 12:45 am

I would say that I do not feel restless – I think I just feel stuck- days “void of inspiration” resonates with me. I feel like I am going throught the motions- trying to get my life back together somehow.
    Prayers for the faithful here- prayers especially for those struggling with physical pain- God please heal them and give them your strength and courage.
    Prayers for grandparents- especially for my mother who truly knows what being a grandparent means….
    My grandparents were all so wonderful to me- I miss them all.
    Prayers especially for Connie today- I don’t know why- just feeling the call to lift you up.
    God’s peace and love go with all of the UR family today.

• Connie October 4, 2017, 9:10 am

Thank you, Lou. I have been going through a difficult time the last few days and needed those prayers.

• Jill October 4, 2017, 3:22 am

One day at a time, Sweet Jesus.
    Father – draw us nearer to You. In our restlessness – spiritually, physically, emotionally – be our comfort. You are our constant, unchanging Rock.
    Father – I lift this community to You. I know You hold us and love us.

• robert moeller October 4, 2017, 6:59 am

Perhaps I’m restless as I have counseling and my first heart rehab today. Otherwise I am fine. My model train track arrived yesterday and progress was made.

Yes, without the valleys there can be no mountain tops. There are days when we just tough it out knowing that God will get us through. Those are the deep trust days. The times when when we lean hard on God. They are much needed days in terms of spiritual development, growth.

I echo Lou’s prayers and Jill’s one day at a time.

Prayers for all affected in any way by the tragedy in Las Vegas. As Christians that means all of us. Very hopeful there will be some positive action taken to prevent or severely curb these types of events. There is a price for peace.

Be lifted up, encouraged, strengthened, and healed. God is with you. Thank You, Lord.

• Pam October 4, 2017, 3:30 pm

Counseling? About your heart? Your wife? Eric?

• robert moeller October 5, 2017, 6:27 am

Yes, thankfully I have this opportunity in addition to the UR, church, and my train activities. Helpful, needed. Hard for me to judge progress but I think it is being made.

• Betsy October 4, 2017, 7:06 am

I know this restlessness very well. When things in my life have changed (loss, moves, season changes), I often have felt this restless feeling. Not sad, but separated some from God. I’ve never thought about that maybe I’m not in line with God’s plan for me. I pray to “realign” and draw closer to Him, as I go forward; hopeful in the knowledge that He will guide my steps.
    Praying for the beauty and wisdom of grandparent and the important role they play in the lives of our children. I remember how cherished my grands were in my growing up years. Blessings to all UR visitors here today.

• Gail October 4, 2017, 7:14 am

To quote Carson Wentz (I think that’s right), “The world needs Jesus.”

• Julie October 4, 2017, 8:03 am

Lou, how is your pain? Are you aable to sleep at night now?
    Robert, prayers for you as you begin your heart rehab. May it produce a strong heart physically to match your strong faith heart.
    Jill, have you started yur new treatment?
    I feel restless as I have not gotten the courage to try a new church or try to volunteer. My fear of rejection and past frustrations paralyze me.
    I continue to be deeply affected by the tragedy in Las Vegas as member of country nation (as we call ourselves).
    Blessings and prayers for all who gather here to seek and receive prayers nd friendship in Christ.

• robert moeller October 5, 2017, 6:33 am

My first heart rehab session was long on introduction, getting set up, and short on actual work, but I was very satisfied with everything. Very thorough, well done. Great atmosphere. Got my heat to the higher end of the desired beat rate and held it there for 15 minutes. Next session is tomorrow, have a class after the workout. So far so good. Thanks for your encouragement Julie.
      Anyone with a physical heart problem should check out if there is a heart rehab program near you. Care for your spiritual heart can most certainly be found here.

• Connie October 4, 2017, 9:16 am

What is it the song says “I’m as restless as a Willow in a windstorm”. That would be me. What calms me is I know God is close by and He is in control.
    This I believe. Blessings to all this October morning.

• robert moeller October 5, 2017, 6:38 am

Willows are beautiful trees, easily swayed by the wind, they love lots of moisture. Sometimes it’s a good thing to let the wind blow through rather than try to stop it. May God grant you all the blessings that come with being like a willow. I think there are more than one might imagine.

• Connie October 5, 2017, 7:48 am

Oh Robert, what a poetic comment…….so, let the rain come down, let the wind blow-my Willow roots go deep….in Jesus.

• robert moeller October 8, 2017, 4:30 am

Yes, Connie, we’ve got the same thoughts here, just expressed in different words. The Holy Spirit is at work.