Praying Our Memories

I FIND IT HELPFUL each night to think of some experience of difficulty that happened during the day and to visualize Jesus putting healing hands on that moment, transforming it. In this way, hurts and wounds do not accumulate.

As for memories longer past, I don’t feel that I have to move through a special memory each day. But I try not to let a week go by without a deliberate turning to a healing experience of a wound. Sometimes a memory will arise spontaneously. Sometimes I have to search a bit. Sometimes I ask God to summon forth a memory whose time for healing has come, and often I am surprised at what surfaces. …

It is important to remember that we are not creating God’s healing love for our inner self because we are now praying about it. This love has always been around us, embracing us. Rather, by such prayers we are claiming it, internalizing it, allowing its transforming power to intensify in our lives.

– Flora Slosson Wuellner
Prayer, Stress, and Our Inner Wounds

From page 30 of Prayer, Stress, and Our Inner Wounds by Flora Slosson Wuellner. Copyright © 1985 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What past hurts or memories do you need God to heal? Share your thoughts.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.
Psalm 19:14, NRSV

This Week: pray for grandparents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Francis of Assisi, October 4).

• Lou October 5, 2017, 1:03 am

Many many memories….I can’t escape them – and I do want to. I need God to heal me and these memories- I believe that I had a good marriage for 23 years and then my husband announced that he needed to be “let go”…with little explanation or discussion – he simply moved out and created a new life for himself while I am left with the accumulation of objects and memories that made up my/our life – a 30 year relationship – over. I still do not understand. I need God to help me heal and move on- I don’t want to have the memories sometimes- they are too painful.
    Thank you Julie – my back pain is better- I am doing much better from my surgery- that pain is nothing in comparison to the pain of the loss of my marriage and our family unit.
    Prayers for my youngest child who is greatly struggling with loss issues and feeling unloved by her dad who sees her for only a few hours each week when he is available – she is my most sensitive and I am exhausted from the crises management I have to provide for her almost daily. In the last few weeks I feel like I can barely keep myself going let alone provide what she needs. It is difficult.
    Connie- I continue to lift you up in prayer as you move though difficult times- and perhaps difficult memories of your own-
    I know God’s love is enough-
    God’s peace be to all who come here to the UR. He is always with us.

• Marcy October 5, 2017, 9:41 am

Lou, i am praying fr you and your children. Ongoing, fresh memories and those from the past can be extremely painful, I know. Remember that God has His arms around you, His love is within you and around you, will heal the brokenness, is comforting you. My own valley is particularly deep and formidable at this time and this love for God, faith in Him is our hope. Will pray extra hard for you. Please be ecouraged that with time and most importanbly, our Father, the Mightly Counselor, Healer of pains of all kinds, will help us overcome. God bless you and b close to you.

• Jill October 5, 2017, 4:23 am

God is so faithful – He is The Healer of past wounds, transforming them into scars that can be used to point to Him. Satan loves to rub against a certain scar of mine, he knows my area of weakness. I must be on guard and summon God’s power – an increasing awareness that I am grateful for.
    Lou – while holding your children in prayer, the middle one always “stuck out” to me and I prayed for her a bit more. But – I will be holding your youngest and you…your relationship, your strength to give to that relationship.
    Julie – I had my first treatment almost 2 weeks ago, and will have my next one tomorrow. Every other Friday is my schedule. Saw some significant improvement in functionality of my right hand less than 48 hours after my dosage.
    Prayers for the family that gathers here. May we bring Him glory throughout this day.

• Lou October 5, 2017, 6:46 am

Thank you for your prayers Jill- I pray for your healing and strength – you are such an active person with tennis,running, and golf- I know physical limitations must frustrate you. Your faith is inspiring to me- the Lord will see you through.
      The middle girl – she does stick out and continues to need prayers as well- she holds me still at arms length…being a senior in college she has her “own” life – and has embraced that while separating significantly from her old home life- while normal – it has also been marked by the family changes – she was always more the “family kid” – now she barely comes home- it breaks my heart. She has been talking to me a bit more and reaching out a bit more to share news -and I thank God for those small sweet blessings. Of all my three I thought she would be the one to support me- although I have never ever demanded that of any of them – in my mind I knew she would be the one to be here for me- so it was even more hurtful to have this distance. She has a strong faith base and is deeply involved in campus ministries – and I am comforted by that –
      I’m rambling — thank you for any prayers that you may offer up for my three children- they are the light of my life.

• robert moeller October 5, 2017, 5:00 am

Thankful for the benefit Lou has from surgery and both Jill and Julie have from their treatment. Hopefully Anneliese will have benefit from her up coming pain management treatment. Thankful Erich has healed from skin problems and has job interviews this coming week.

I deal with painful reminders that some things that could have been done were not done. I have tried to make up for them but they are etched in Erich’s memory. Am very hopeful that a trip planned for next week will help in some way toward healing. At the same time he also shares some responsibility for his situation and he needs to learn how to deal with it. He refuses counseling and does not believe in God.

Thankful for counseling and heart rehab yesterday, both are helpful to me. Preparations for chicken pie dinner at church are also helpful. In addition I was able to dispose of items I don’t need or use. There was good progress on model train track laying. Put God first and all these things will be given to you.

Prayers for grandparents, the people affected by the tragedy in Las Vegas, those recovering from natural disaster in Puerto Rico, Mexico, Florida , Texas, and Louisiana. and everyone in need of the Lord. Thank You. Lord for all that You do for us.

• Lou October 5, 2017, 6:53 am

You are doing a great service being with your son Robert. I am slowly slowly accepting that we cannot make up for past hurts or things that we did not do in previous relationships – that is a hard acceptance – but we can only lean into the Lord and accept His forgiveness of things that we see as our failures.
      You do so very much to peacefully support him- his lack of Faith sadness you I know – I pray for him and for your peace.
      Thankful for the honest sharing of this whole community and for the daily blessings of the Lord.
      God grant us Your peace.

• Marcy October 5, 2017, 9:59 am

Robert, I lost my way for twenty years and the Good Shepherd kept looking for me until I was found again. He will keep searching for Erich until He finds hm, too, I pray. The Bible tells us we are to believe that what we pray for is already accomplish as we continur to pray, especially in matters of faith. I will keep you and Erich in y prayers. We also count our blessngs God bestows on us, putting peole in our lives for whichwe are graeteful.

So happy you are being helped by heart rehab and counseling. Gifts from God in your life in many shapes and forms. Bless you for your kind and encouragimg words for all here.

• Betsy October 5, 2017, 6:59 am

What a comfort to know that God’s love and healing is always available; we only have to turn to him. In reading the past few day’s posts, I sense this love as all of you check in with one another and pray for each one.
    Jill, so greatful you are seeing progress with your treatments. Robert, you also sound as if the heart rehab is making you stronger and therapy is a positive step. Lou, my husband suffered for years with back pain, and I pray for healing for you. Connie, you are in my prayers daily. Stay strong.

The images of the tragedy in Las Vegas continue to be shown daily. Lord, hold those survivors and the families dealing with loss close.

• Connie October 5, 2017, 7:50 am

My Reflection Friends=God’s hand extended.

• April October 5, 2017, 6:02 pm

We are the hands and feet of Christ…via email, Reflections, prayers….love to all in our family…..blessing to all on this beautiful fall day that God has painted and shared with us.

• Julie October 5, 2017, 8:02 am

I am humbled by the outpouring of love and heartfelt concern expressed here. I feel God’s presence here amongst us lifting up our concerns and hearing our heartfelt prayers.
    I have many reasons to seek healing – from a dysfunctional and poverty stricken childhood to a filed first marriage and a contentious and bitter current second marriage. Thiis meditaton moved me and I MUST begin using this technique to heal my inner child.
    Lu, so wonderful to hear that you are feeling relief from the pain in your back. I have also been praying for the pain in your heart and for your children. I will lift up more specific prayers now. I, as a mother, understand completely how difficult it is to see our child in pain that we have no control over. It would be an especially difficult time for your daughter in colege because she should be distancing herself from the family, but now the family is in flux. So should she continue to separate or should she reunite with the family in solidarity. Sigh, life is messy.
    Robert aand Jill, so glad to hear of your progress in physical healing. Jill, yes, satan knows our worse secret hurts and exploits them. But you aree wise to be alert. Robert, my daughter is also not a believer. I do not push, but agaain, maybe your church is not for him, perhaps there is a church more like the one I mentioned before that is more youthful. In one sermon, the pastor stated that an older congregant did not like the new format and when he asked why she continued to attend she said because her children and grandchildren now attended with her.
    Blessings and prayers for all

• Marcy October 5, 2017, 10:08 am

I keep you in my prayers daily, Julie. Hope they are helping in some way, even a littl bit. Mindful of your accetinh ways and words, even when you feel overwgelnd. Wish I was as brave and strong. God’s blessingd and love to you.

• Cherie October 10, 2017, 7:45 am

So happy I found this caring group today. God bless you all!