Heal Us, We Pray

Heal This World

THANK YOU, GOD, for having a plan far greater
than anything we can imagine.
You bring down walls of injustice that we build.
You loosen chains of addiction with
which we shackle ourselves.
You turn our setbacks into comebacks.
For that, we are grateful.
Even as we trust in your will, Lord,
we confess that we cannot always make sense
of diseases that burden us;
we can’t make sense of extreme wealth
while people die in poverty;
we don’t always know why bad things
happen to those we love.
We confess that it is not always well with our souls.
Sometimes the yoke feels too heavy to bear.
But we believe in resurrection, Lord.
We see it with every flower that breaks through
a wintered ground
and with every rainbow that greets us in a storm.
We have experienced resurrection through your Son’s powerful story.
Heal us; heal this world, we pray.
Heal us within your powerful will.
Amen.

Alive Now, September/October 2013

Prayer by Ciona D. Rouse, from page 18 of Alive Now, September/October 2013. This prayer originally appeared in Like Breath and Water: Praying with Africa by Ciona D. Rouse, now out of print. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14, NRSV

This Week: pray for grandparents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Francis of Assisi, October 4).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 7, 2017, 1:14 am

Yes, Lord heal this world and all broken people!

Thank you, God!

• robert moeller October 7, 2017, 4:29 am

Yes, Lord. There’s much we do not understand, especially why certain things happen, but we have found hope, love, care, recovery in You. Thank You, Lord.

Thankful for spectacular foliage, train track laid, wonderful meals, heart rehab and nutrition class, and the fellowship of both the UR family and church. Prayers for all in any kind of need. Blessings to all of you, have a wonderful weekend.

• Jill October 7, 2017, 4:34 am

Yes, Your plans are far greater, Your wisdom far beyond our capabilities. May Your Will be accomplished in me. And thank You for turning my struggling to accept Your Will…into “it is well with my soul”. Thank You for extending a measure of Your peace that is sufficient for the day.

• Louise October 7, 2017, 5:11 am

A long time ago a very wise friend told me, “Do not use your past as an excuse to be paralyzed today. Pray for God to help you let false security of the past go and ask Him to destroy the memories that linger and hold you back from being the best version of yourself that you can be.” No we cannot control what happens but we can know and believe that God has a plan for each of us. The things that we go through in life and the physical and emotional pain that we feel are all part of God’s education for us. I gather and hold onto what I have learned and I keep listening so that I can be the best version of myself. No I am not perfect…I am broken but I think God likes cracked pots as much as he likes perfect vases. I pray for all who struggle mentally, physically, and spiritually that they will find peace.

• Lou October 7, 2017, 8:51 am

Your post was very helpful for me-

• Betsy October 7, 2017, 7:37 am

Yes, Lord. We do not always understand the plans You have for us. Help us to trust and look to You in love. Amen

• Julie October 7, 2017, 8:26 am

God, help me to understand ll of the hate in this world, all of the devastation both man made and natural, all off the need. God, helpme to see the love aand bravery of those who help in these times and during times of stress and disaster. Those that put their own lives in danger. Maay I focus on them and how they represent You and Your Love.
    Amen

• Connie October 7, 2017, 8:28 am

RESURRECTION POWER. My mantra for October.

• Lou October 7, 2017, 8:53 am

Yes Connie- a good mantra to have.
      Mine is simply –Trust in the Lord.
      For he surely knows what is good and right for us. More of you Lord – less of me.
      Prayers for all who come here today-

• Andrea October 7, 2017, 9:39 am

Mine is: I am safe in God’s strong arms.”

Prayers for all: Jill, Robert, Mary, Connie, Betsy, Lou, Louise, Julie, Marcy, Rusty, Pam, Ami, anyone who posts whom I have missed naming, and for all visitors to UR. For Puerto Rico, Las Vegas, and all the hurricane-ravaged areas. Prayers for grandparents.
    This is the day which the Lord hath made!

• Marcy October 7, 2017, 2:37 pm

“My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart. You, God, will not despise.” Ps. 51:17

Yes, “God, heal us; heal this world I pray. Heal us within Your powerful will. Amen.”

And yes, God, thank you for the plans you have for us. Thank you, Louise, for your post. The words your wise friend said to you are so true.

I join Andrea in her prayers fir everyone here and beyond, in many places and circumstances. Thank you, Lord, for Jeremiah 29:11. Thank you, God, for Your blessings for all, for Your love and heaven that awaits us. Praise the Lord!