God’s Call

GOD CALLS TO OUR SOULS in ways that words cannot — through a moving song, a dramatic dance, the smile of a friend, or the kiss of the sun. From the vivid shades of autumn to the intricacy of a spider’s web, God made the earth and everything in it.

We, too, are expressions of God’s creative beauty and attention to detail. Our spirit flows out of God, who created us and gave us life. God’s fingerprints are all over us, and each of us is imprinted with the likeness of our Creator. No matter what life brings, God’s love will continue to create and to color our lives and our world.

– Lori Z. Scott
devozine, July/August 2005

From “Imprints” by Lori Z. Scott, page 6 in devozine, July/August 2005. Copyright © 2005 by The Upper Room. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Think of a way you experience call upon your life. Share your thoughts.

But Moses implored the LORD his God, and said, “O LORD, why does your wrath burn hot against your people, whom you brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand?”
Exodus 32:11, NRSV

This Week: pray for grandparents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Francis of Assisi, October 4).

• Jill October 10, 2017, 3:20 am

God is reaching me through my circumstances. I have been touched by certain songs the past few weeks, as well as passages in Psalms. It seems that what is needed for the day, He provides. A strong sense of His Presence and Sovereignty through this all. He is with me.
    Marcy – glad that you will be able to get to the doctor much sooner than expected. I pray for relief for you. In response to your question, it is hard to measure the amount of relief I am getting from my dietary changes, because I started them about the same time I began my treatment.

• robert moeller October 10, 2017, 5:07 am

Thankful that Marcy has treatment coming soon and Jill is experiencing relief. Anneliese will have treatment this week as well. Erich is recovering from a sinus problem. He has an interview today.

There are times when I’m in worship when a word, a hymn, just reading the bulletin, or a thought make me feel God is touching me. I am very thankful for these experiences.

Blessings and prayers for all who need and receive medical treatment. May God’s wisdom be with the doctors and nurses and may the treatment be helpful, successful.

• Julie October 10, 2017, 7:45 am

So glad for you Marcy and Jill. May you both see rcontinued relief from your pain. Prayers for you, Robert, as you continue your heart rehab and for Erich as he finds his way in this life.
    I encounter God in my manner of dealing with my pain aand my perona situation. I do not focus on my pain and my pain does not define who I am. This is one of the reasons that I stopped attending the church I once attended regularly. They only spoke to me to ask about my hands and then walked away. One day I asked someone what they used to talk to me about as I am more than my hands and they looked perplexed and walked away. I am not my pain and I will not focus my life on my health or my personal situation (marriage, etc)
    I also feel God called me to this loving group of mentors. Thank you for listening and for your prayers and know that I pray for each of you daily
    God Bless you all

• robert moeller October 10, 2017, 9:20 am

Thank you Julie. Lots of wisdom in what you say. I’m for fixing what causes the pain, that’s more important than the pain itself. Only when that is beyond our current medical knowledge should we take on pain as the primary focus.
      God most certainly can and does help us through pain, no matter what kind it is. Your witness is helpful to all of us,

Between God, medicine, and changes in diet I am glad Jill is getting the help she needs. Prayers that soon Marcy will have all the help she needs with migraines.

My friend’s Dad passed away this morning at 8 am. He was 90 and having heart problems. Thankfully he was in hospice. That service to the dying is such a blessing.

• Cherie October 10, 2017, 7:55 am

Happy to have found this loving community! Love and Light!

• robert moeller October 10, 2017, 9:23 am

We’re glad to have you! Everyone who comes here is most welcome.

• Marcy October 10, 2017, 11:55 am

Yes, welcome Cherie. This place is a true blessing and the people here are a gift from God. There is much knowledge and many thoughts offered and it’s so beneficial for each other. I’ve only been posting for a little over a month and reading since the beginning of the year. I’m happy you are joined here with us. God bless!

• Marcy October 10, 2017, 11:42 am

I feel God’s call to be helpful to others. Intercessory prayer is powerful, and I pray for many in the mornings. Success depends on the Holy Spirit because my words don’t always come easily. That’s also the case here sometimes, when I read something I posted later and I’m not sure it conveys what I meant. I take my time, making sure that I am speaking and listening for God’s words and am hopeful I’m understood. God willing, I’ll be able to do more in the future. I humbly await His instruction.

I’m so thankful for all the prayers we say for each other here. Apologize if I was too effusive yesterday after Dr’s call, I’m just relieved it came. Waiting for medical approvals are making things worse and still I soldier on the best I can with the Lord’s help.

Thank you, Jill, for your prayers. The gluten free diet is hard, seems gluten is everywhere. I know it would benefit inflammation issues. I’m also praying your ongoing treatments are successful.

Thank you, Robert for your prayers. Wishing Erich good luck today with his interview. Also, wanted to ask you how you were referred for rehab as I’m so deconditioned from being able to walk very little. I’m sorry for the loss of your friend’s Dad and while it is painful for family and friends, I believe our loved ones are praising God in heaven, no more pain, no more tears. That’s where I believe we all will be one day, finally home. That’s what has gotten me through a lot of grieving. And yes, I feel taking care of the elderly is a privilege and a blessing.

Thank you, Julie, for your prayers. As Robert says, you are a witness to all of us. I will always be personally grateful to you for helping me reach out, assuring me of acceptance and not being shunned. When I’m out in public, I’ve seen people stare because I’m bent. Although I know God loves us all, it was still difficult. Now it doesn’t bother me because we are all friends here in the UR family. I pray for you to see what an inspiration you are to all as I believe God has led you to serve in this uplifting way. Bless you.

Thanks to you, Pam for your words of joy and praise to God with me yesterday. I am thankful for each and every one of us here in the UR family for your prayers and pray for all who suffer mentally, emotionally and physically with God’s spiritual strengthening most of all. Thank you for listening.

Heavenly Father, bring us peace and well-being through the Holy Spirit. Faith, hope and love to all, but most of all, Love! Rejoicing in the Lord always!

• robert moeller October 10, 2017, 6:25 pm

Marcy, I had a heart attack in Dec 2016, my cardiologist here in VT referred me to the heart rehab program I am attending.

Yes, writing posts is difficult, it’s hard to put into words spiritual thoughts, make them clear and say what we really mean. I need God’s wisdom and the Holy Spirit, hopefully I hear clearly what God and the Holy Spirit inspire me to write. I am human and humans make mistakes.

Very much hope that you receive the medical help that is needed soon. God is most definitely sustaining you, that is a blessing.

Thankful for all the support that comes through the UR. We all benefit by sharing. God’s love was meant to be shared.

God’s peace to all of you,

• Louise October 10, 2017, 9:21 pm

All of you here at UR are expressions of God’s creative beauty and attention to detail. Your spirit flows out of God. You all have God’s fingerprints all over you and you are imprinted with the likeness of our creator. You are all beautiful people. I consider myself blessed that I stumbled upon UR and I am able to get to know all of you through your writing. I pray for each of you everyday. We all experience our suffering and pain in different ways and the UR is a place to comfortably and safely share and know that there will never be anything in return but God’s love because He walks with us. Peace to all!